PDA

View Full Version : Technical "Mystery" Fault *Updated & Still Not

Nova_Rz
06-10-03, 11:05 AM
got a mystery fault with my nova, put in the key and try to turn it and there is no power at all (can't even get the immobiliser turned off) connect the red jump leads up and the immobiliser will go off, car will have power (not sure if it will start though, will try), connect black jump lead and the car will start, take jump leads of and it will drive, as soon as you stop, turn the car off you're back to not enough power to turn the window wipers on, or work the central locking, then the immobbiler kicks in and just fcukin beeps and wont turn off...

:evil: so after a lot of fcuking about we decided that the negative battery wire was fcuked .. so i went and got a new one, but my mate nicked my 10mm spanner so i can't fit that. but since i don't know a lot about nova's or wiring i though i would ask here for advice on what it could be

Thanx
.David.

*So The Update, Change the alternator, still having the same problems as above, got my central locking to work for about 2mins without the jump leads on, then battery died again ..lol, so i reckon i'll jump start it, remove jump leads and leave it running for 10-15mins and see if it charged up the battery enough to get it started .. any other idea's ???

.David.

Will
06-10-03, 11:20 AM
get a new battery, might not be charging properly / or alternator not charging it.........

will

Nova_Rz
06-10-03, 11:23 AM
already got a new battery, but it still does it, how much for a new alternator, and what does it look like under the bonnet ?? and any idea's if its not the alternator ??

SKoob
06-10-03, 11:46 AM
check the earth wire on the altenator hasn't snapped, it goes from the altenater to the head.

Dicko
06-10-03, 12:37 PM
you said conect the jump leads up, but didnt say where to !!

if thats going onto another batetry then fair enough.

few things to try.

earth lead batery to chassis
earth lead gearbox to chassis
make sure your alternator is earthed, also the positive conections are ok.
alt works.

your probly going need a voltmeter. the alternaot should output around 13.4-13.8v if its charging.
if all these are fine then ut baterry is sh4ft3d

Nova_Rz
06-10-03, 12:48 PM
you said conect the jump leads up, but didnt say where to !!

if thats going onto another battery then fair enough.

lol, to the battery on my corsa sri .. a voltmeter, where am i meant to get one of them from ??? (lol, halfords ??)

.David.

Dicko
06-10-03, 01:24 PM
halfords, B&Q.

if you connected the jump leads directly to your batery on the nova its gonna be the battery itself or the alternator conection to the battery!!

Nova_Rz
06-10-03, 03:34 PM
Brand New Battery From Halfords (4 year guarantee) put in a couple of months ago, when i first tried to solve the problem, so its gotta be the alternator ?? so get a new one from the scrappy and a new earth wire from the alternator.. and if it still don't work then we're back here ???

.David.

mikeoxford
06-10-03, 07:05 PM
mail me if u want a used alternator....

Nova_Rz
11-10-03, 12:16 PM
See Updated Post Above

Aragorn
11-10-03, 07:00 PM
well its either the battery is buggered or u need to take it for a good drive to charge it

most of the small block vaux engines dont spin the alt fast enough at idle to actaully charge anything - so u will need to actually drive the car around for 30-60mins to give it a decent charge

Serialkilla
11-10-03, 07:13 PM
If the earth wire has snapped the car is not going to run at all cause the battery does not have enough power to run the engine.

When the engine is running the engine is powered by the alternator through the battery.

So try looking for a battery drain (voltage being used when car is locked up and not running). Could be the stereo or amplifier is connected to permenant live all the time so drains the battery.

Or the imobiliser is faulty.

Nova_Rz
12-10-03, 11:06 AM
thought it could be the immob, maybe it just aint charged up properly coz its just been idle'ing in my garage, anyway its half fixed now ... got enough charge through the battery to keep my immobiliser and central locking working, turn the car on, the lights on the dash come on (petrol gauge moves up, battery is "dead" though) turn the key and theres just a funny "electricity" noise ... if that helps at all, just like a buzz.

.David.

Aragorn
13-10-03, 10:27 PM
u NEED to drive it

it will NOT charge sitting idling in the garage

either take the battery out and hook it upto a charger or drive the car for a good half hour using decent amount of revs

if the batterys low and u try to start it all u'll here is either a single click or ak47style clicks

an "electrically sound?" what like arcing? could be a fucked starter i suppose

jump start it and see what happens - if she fires up fine then drive it around for 30mins