PDA

View Full Version : Take the offer?

?Marty?
06-10-03, 02:09 AM
I was thinking of doing more to my car (like a valver and etc), but someone has offered me ?3,500 for it.

I'm in no hurry to sell it (apart from the occassional days of 'fuck this fuckin pile of shit i want another car' thing that we all seem to experience - well modified car owners anyway), but i am quite tempted by the offer. I think.

Is that a good offer for it? I know that novas can be picked up for under a ?k now, but i paid ?2,000 for it 2 years ago, spent ?6,736 on parts (currently on car - receipts for almost all of it) and paid ?2000 for the bodywork, so it all adds up to quite a lot (a fact relevant to someone that may want to purchase it, since that's what it'd cost them to build an exact replica).

It's got 12 months MoT, and the mileage is 80k.

Do you think i'd struggle to get that again if i don't take it now (tho i've had 3 offers of around ?3k in the last few weeks) - i was thinking of keeping it a bit longer and then selling it (since i've only just had the bodywork done recently) BUT i've had a problem with vandalism before, so if it happens again i might struggle getting anywhere near that much.

Or, do you even think that i should try and get more for it?
I mean this person that's offered me ?3.5k is REALLY keen! Keeps asking me to not sell to anyone else and etc (and does actually have the money to buy it, and not just wasting my time - i know him quite well). So there probably will be/are other people that may be prepared to pay more for it.

Anyway, comments/suggestions/advice appreciated.

?Marty?
06-10-03, 02:17 AM
Oh, here's some pics of it.

http://www.fullclip.co.uk/nova-side.jpg

http://www.fullclip.co.uk/carpaint.jpg

so1o
06-10-03, 05:52 AM
Decisions, decisions. At the end of the day it's up to you, what you have to ask yourself is, you gonna regret it once its gone?The money you have spent on it plus the way it looks thats a nova and a half. Will you be buying another nova or not, if you are keep it and go ahead with ur valver conversion if thats what you have got planned. tbh if i did my car up like that, the money and time,everyone knows how long things take id never get rid, but not everyones the same.?3.5k is good for a nova, but the choice is yours.good luck with whatever choice you make.

krobinson
06-10-03, 06:09 AM
You've spent the guts of 8k, and its YOUR car, and expresses your taste!

Think of it this way.. what could you buy for 3.5k and insure comfortably? a 1998 1.2 clio maybe? wow you'd really stand out in one of those.. lmao

Thats the way i look at it when someone offers me cash for my Nova. I've also been offered 3.5k+ offers and turned them down because no other car's in that price range/insurance range appeal to me. And because i'm a self confessed nova nut and i feel if i sold it, i'd just buy another!

Keith

Jules
06-10-03, 07:52 AM
Try and squeeze 'em for a little extra if possible, if they're really keen on it like you say they are, the explain that you love the car now it's finished, that it cost you the best part of ?8k to get it like that, it's low mileage etc etc etc and that you'd have to get at least ?4k for it or it's not worth selling.

(I'd sell it for ?3.5k anyway but that's just me!!)
:wink:

Dare-devil
06-10-03, 09:21 AM
Keep it m8, it's cool. Then drop a Valver or a LET in to it.. :wink:

dave.gsi
06-10-03, 09:22 AM
sell it, its shit :lol: :wink:

as for the vandalism problem. if you took off that trolley handle spoiler and fook off bumpers it might go someway into blending in a little more :lol:

bottom line is, is 3.5K enough to buy a decent car that you'd be happy with? i don't think it is

BLueNOvaGSI
06-10-03, 09:59 AM
It's your decision in the long run M8!

Just go with your gut instinct.

It's a very nice car.......................

.................I'll give you 4.5K for it.

Angela
:lol:

Tilly
06-10-03, 10:46 AM
Its a car that youve built to your liking. Ive never even seen it at any shows? Cant see why u would want to sell it tbh

wisewood
06-10-03, 10:59 AM
if it was me that had it... i would look at my finances.

Would 3.5k really make a vast difference - if yes, sell it but if not... keep it mate.

If i had put that much time, effort and money into something like that i would rather see it crushed in 20 years time than see some 18 year old write it off the week after i sold it to them.

dave.gsi
06-10-03, 11:02 AM
nice paint.............never noticed before

Jim
06-10-03, 11:06 AM
I'm currently going to be putting a few thousands into my car. My girlfriend is hassling me to sell it at the end of next year and I know for a fact I won't sell it for what I'm putting into it at the moment. However, thats not the reason why I'm putting all this money into the car. I suppose once it's complete and I add up all the work I've had done to it since I first bought the car, it'll probably come close to ?8k, but I know theres no chance I'll get that money for it. Theres also no chance that I'm going to be selling it at the end of next year :lol:

Like whats been already said. It's your car Marty and a decision only you can make. It probably sounds very tempting and yet if you were to sell it, 6 months down the line, you'd probably say "I miss my Nova" but thats life.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, but this is a decision only you can make :|

Jim

dan_mk1
06-10-03, 12:47 PM
what would you get if you were to sell it??

Paul
06-10-03, 01:08 PM
i wouldnt sell it.

Its 8k that youve put into a car that you wanted to build.

If you sell it for 3.5k thats 4.5k lost to nothing, and what car can you get that will make you stand out like your nova does, especially with that paint!

As you sed youva only had it a while so keep it until youre ready to sell it not until someones ready to buy it.

Mark
06-10-03, 04:52 PM
Straight to the point - DON'T do it!

Anton
06-10-03, 04:53 PM
keep it

YOU WILL REGRET IT

djp_y2k
06-10-03, 05:17 PM
its up to u mate.

u wont get an rx7 for that though.

As u know i will getting rid of mine soon, so will be in the same dilema.

Depending on wot ur getting next would depend on if i would sell if i were in ur shoes.

?Marty?
07-10-03, 12:45 AM
Bloodyhell, it's almost annonymous. So if i sold it, AND regretted it, all you lot would come back to haunt me saying not to do it! lol

A few people that found out that i said i'll consider selling it for ?3.5, said ''is that it? think you can get more/it's worth more than that i recon'', and they are all in the 'potential buyer' bracket.

I don't need the money or anything, and the nova is worth more to me as it is, than the money id get after a sale, but i'm just considering changing cars, and dont think there's any point (for me anyway) to have more than one. BUT there have been people saying ''that's really nice mate, bet you could get about ?1,800 for it'', and me thinking ''fuckin hell! that's less than i paid for it standard!) - which is whats making me think that i should sell it now (before its worth even less).

I dont think i will ever sell a car, and get the same make/model again either, so i don't intend to consider a nova again after this one. Thinking of an FTO, MR2 or a Prelude next. Maybe something more expensive. Maybe something brand new, like a new Mini, BMW Compact, or something. I don't know - but the more money i'll spend on a car, the less i'll modify it. Not even sure if i want to 'modify' cars anymore either (not to the extent of wanting to change practically every standard component anyway).

Tho it's not even that i really want another car, or anything. I just get bored very quickly (a fact that bothers my gf). Maybe i'll do more mods for it or something, and it'll get my interest again (havent done anything since i bough all the bodywork and then waited for 8 weeks while the bodywork was sorted).

Tilly - i haven't been to ANY shows or meets or cruises. Ever. Nor have i nay intention on having my car featured in any magazines.

Also, it's funny how peoples tastes differ. Like some will pick certain parts and say they love them, but hate other bits, whilst other people will isolate the exact same parts but say the opposite.
I liked the spoiler and etc when i decided to buy it (there was a LONG time between me placing oreders for the bodywork parts and actually receiving some of them, then having the work done), but i guess if i was doing it all over again now, the car would look completely different. I considered different mods (mainly one off/custom things) before settling for what i have had done, a decision mainly influenced by constant vandalism (i've stopped driving it to certain places that were the main areas where it happened, and it has been ok for now) and the thought of 'ill drive it about for a bit, and then i'll sell it, which i'd regret if i decided to keep it. But i'm not going to bother re-doing the bodywork again. i'd rather do things that i havent yet done (like heavy engine mods).

I was only tempted by the money as i figure that yes i would lose a lot, BUT if i keep it for longer i WILL keep modifying things, so when i do decide to sell i could have spent double but the asking price couldnt be much (if any) more than what it'd be now. Basically it's a case of when do i cut my losses, rather than if.
But to be honest, even tho i wouldnt mind another car, i'm not that bothered and would like to take mine even further (valver with lots of tuning mods, more done to interior and etc) before i sell it. But i dont like throwing money away either.

Breeny said something before about not wanting modified cars anymore, and i feel like that sometimes lately. It could be that a lot of the company i keep drive about in very expensive BMW's and up to lambos and etc, so i feel a bit 'ali g' in mine.

Alex
07-10-03, 12:50 AM
That is one long post :o

dave.gsi
07-10-03, 08:29 AM
marty.......................?600 cash and i'll take it away :wink:

?Marty?
08-10-03, 12:26 AM
i accept your offer dave. and i'll throw in my cat elvis.

Mark
08-10-03, 06:49 AM
Nooooooooooo....Sod that, if you're throwing in Elvis I'll give you ?700!!