PDA

View Full Version : Shells...

Ben
05-10-03, 11:49 PM
Right my Girlfriends GTE has gone off to the welders to be prepped fo the MOT, the only other thing needing doing before it goes back in is the bottom end shells as the tester wont rev it enough to get a emmisions reading as he is worried about it giving way.

What i need to know is..

:arrow: How hard are they to change :?:

:arrow: How expensive are they :?:

:arrow: Is it worth just swapping engines :?:

:arrow: How long will they take to do :?:

Cheers

Ben
06-10-03, 05:43 PM
There must be someone with half a brain cell....

dave.gsi
06-10-03, 05:48 PM
on here?? errrrrrm...................... :roll:

mikeoxford
06-10-03, 06:54 PM
how hard does he have to rev it :o

shells or big ends wont give way unless your giving it some.

and if my car got thrashed on its MOT i would want to know why......?

whats wrong with the engine?

no way shud he need to get it to point of obliteration before he gets emissions readings :S

NovaNeil
06-10-03, 07:48 PM
Cheap Shell bearing can be had for as little as ?15-?20 for the set.
I took the head and pistons out to do mine as I was having new Pistons but I think it can be done with out doing that. Just by removing the sump. Will gain you access.

As Mike said, It would have to be really bad if they can't even do an emissions test. Is it bad?

Stuart
06-10-03, 07:54 PM
swa an engine. then replace the shells on the engine out of the car and keep as a spare (or swap back)

locky
06-10-03, 10:44 PM
Im sure i can sort out some GM shells m8 :wink:

Ben
06-10-03, 10:52 PM
it is quite bad, they normally rev to around 5k revs to get the correct reading, i wouldnt want to take this over 3k.

mikeoxford
07-10-03, 11:19 AM
:o j33z ! thats bad ben

thought u wudda swapped that for one of your many spares!

still stay by my claim that i never see them rev mine that hard - and i always ask to go watch to make sure they dont do nothing i dont want them to :@

Dicko
07-10-03, 11:35 AM
shells are about ?30, can be done by removing sump. to be honest if you have a replacement engine id put that in, its a long job when engines in the car

Aragorn
07-10-03, 01:32 PM
err how can they do an idle co test with the engine at 5krpm

fuckin cowboys - most places will rev it a bit to "clear it out" since they normally leave it idling during the test so its warmed up by the time they come to do the test

the test must bew run at idle for CO and they are allowed to raise the revs slightly if it fails on HC due to long duration/overlapping cams

even the cat cars are run at 2500rpm for the second half of the test but nowhere near 5k :/

Ben
07-10-03, 05:25 PM
God knows but they are very good when it comes to MOT's so im not complaining.

Yes would be easier to replace the engine but i have over ?500 worth of recipts for the brand new head that was put on this engine less than ?10k miles ago so im keen to rebuild the bottom as the engine will be spot on.