PDA

View Full Version : Removing cam quickly...

Ben
05-10-03, 11:35 PM
A friend has said he can take my cam and cam box off my GTE withou removing or breaking the seal on the head, this obviously would save a lot of time and effort.

What do you think the chances are?

Serialkilla
05-10-03, 11:43 PM
Might as well do the head gasket while you got the cam box over saves time later on and you have the peace of mind that it is not going to leak later on.

Ben
05-10-03, 11:45 PM
Not really bothered about headgaskets, if it goes i would just throw a new engine in there :lol: Saves messing around and would be quicker.

peester
05-10-03, 11:48 PM
'is possible mate- take airbox off, belts, cam pulley and indeed rocker cover off- with special tool (its nothing special special, just specific tool if u like) compresses valves (or something) and camshaft can slide out sideways. without having to take the 'head off.

Stuart
06-10-03, 04:18 PM
to get the cam carrier off you NEED to undo the head bolts, and its no good just "not moving the ehad" and doing the bolts back up, as the gasket WILL fail soon after

as said before, you can get an odd tool that presses the valves down so you can slip the cam out

Will
06-10-03, 04:38 PM
head bolts are only designed to be tightened down once i believe so not good idea even doing that, so if ur going to get new head bolts u might as well do the head gasket, pmsl.

or get this tool camb is talking abt which ive never heard of but sounds useful........

rgv_stu
06-10-03, 05:20 PM
it is possible to do it without the tool
push the valve down with a big screwdriver and wiggle the rocker out. but its highly time consuming and fiddly. plus you dont want to slip ;)

Ben
06-10-03, 05:37 PM
Sod it will swap the engine.

mikeoxford
06-10-03, 07:00 PM
on my old engine a long time ago one of the thrust pads slipped off the top of the valve.

didnt know until i took the cam cover off to see what was making a racket :lol:

managed to get it all back together using a tool from machine mart that pushes down valves (deisgned for an OHV engine) but still worked!

was so lucky cos the cam follower was bear on the end of the valve for god knows how long! cant see how thrust pad had come out unless it werent seated properley!

cleaned up the tool and took it for a refund as well :lol: "was the wrong one sir"

CP
06-10-03, 08:34 PM
The special tool is in fact 2 clamps made by Sykes Pickavant. You take the cam cover off and bolt these clamps down into place over the 2 lots of valves that are being depressed by the cam at any one time. The clamps push both the inlet and zorst valves down and away from the cam lobes.
MAKE SURE that you do not have any of the pistons at TDC or else you will push the valves down into the piston crowns and fook stuff up.

You will obv need to remove the cam sprocket and the dizzy so make sure you mark everything up accurately with scratch marks :!:

Ben
06-10-03, 10:55 PM
Only want to remove the piper cam and fit a standard one, cant be assed with taking the manifold off etc etc.

Will investigate...