PDA

View Full Version : it just went pop

pickle
02-10-03, 08:27 PM
was driving home from work and i was in bad traffic in carlisle for about 45minutes, and it just went pop. loads of smoke came out and loads of water. pulled onto the curb and had a look. the fucking hose from the engine to the radiator had popped. its because it over heated. so this means the fan must not be working. will my thermostat have gone? if so how much for a new one.. i was also driving home today with a new hose on and topped up with water and i noticed the temp gadge on my digi dash gong up and down all the time, so i chilled out and tried to keep the temp down,( letting some wind to the engine), so is my fan working? i have a air horn and unpluged the old horn and just conected the wires from that to the horn, someone said it MAY be that. i dont have a fuse for the air horn, i kept it off. can anyone help.

mikeoxford
02-10-03, 08:56 PM
do the paperclip tirck with the radiator switch - see if the fan comes on.

and why does your horn have any relevance? :wink: ignore pub talk

epo
02-10-03, 09:41 PM
i had the same prob with hose goin pop and overheatin but mine need a new headgasket

pickle
02-10-03, 10:07 PM
probably i talk mike. i thought that too. plus i hope it isnt my head gasket. il tr the paper clip tomorrw, although i tried it with a bit of wire but ma have done it wrong. try again tomorrow and get back to ya all.

mikeoxford
02-10-03, 10:37 PM
yer dont get scared (yet) LOL :lol: :wink:

xX NoVaBoY Xx
03-10-03, 12:28 AM
mine did this other week except ma radiator blew a hole in instead was because of the sensor on mine had gone causeing fan not to work and overheat.cost me ?10 for radiator from scrapyard all i needed :)

Ste_Nova
03-10-03, 08:43 AM
up and down is fine... thats the sign of a good stat

pickle
03-10-03, 07:37 PM
but i get it scared when it goes up and down. especially when i stays up for abit. incase it goes all the way. cos i was sitting on avement of a very busy bridge and everyone was laughing at me........ BarsT@rdz

_JH_
07-10-03, 06:19 PM
paperclip (i'd use a clean set of pliers) only shows if the fan itself is working. doesnt mean its switching on.

take car for a 5 minute run. leave it running on the drive with bonnet up. wait for the fan to come on, if it doesnt, and the temp gauge starts getting high, it aint working. clean all contacts on temp sender and wires, try again, if nothing, fit new sender, easy job, just refer to your haynes manual for help. if the contacts are really dirty, trim wire and crimp new female spade connectors in place.

while changin it, flush your coolant system.