PDA

View Full Version : Straight through exhaust

SKoob
02-10-03, 05:16 PM
If i got a straight through exhaust and a 4-1 manifold would i get flames and a bit of back fire when i let off the throttle on my SR?

Tazzy
02-10-03, 09:23 PM
will you be putting a back box on?

its exactly what i want to do!

SRi manifold
SRi downpipe
straight through pipe (de-catted and de-middle box!)

mikeoxford
02-10-03, 10:40 PM
ull get pulled by the old bill for having a exhaust too loud.

i think they can enforce u to go an mot station and sort it out especially if u got no boxes on it......?

wrigleys
02-10-03, 10:44 PM
I don't think you'll get flames or back firing, but it will pop and crackle nicely on the over run :twisted:

Serialkilla
02-10-03, 11:05 PM
Get the car to run rich on over run and fit a flamer kit or make you own flamer kit (cheaper).

Or

When you let of the thottle switch the ignition on then off and you should get a big bang and flames shooting out the back.
(only If fitted with CARBS.)
[/u][/b]

SKoob
03-10-03, 12:01 AM
it'll have a back box yes a 3.5" sportex one, what i meant was to do away with the middle silencer :!:

Serialkilla
03-10-03, 01:47 AM
Yer you can do that by law you have to have 1 - 2 silencers if the engine size is under 2.0l (i think) anything over that needs 2 upwards.

Philsutton
03-10-03, 04:32 PM
i get four flames out of the back of mine ( i have double twin DTMtail pipes) had a gear shift rev limit fitted, allows u to keep ur foot to the floor when changing gear but limits the engine to 3500rpm when the clutch is down. As its hitting te limit when the clutch is down the exhaust fills with un burnt fuel which ignites the minute u take ur foot off the clutch. Rather funny when ur racing some one an its pops right in their face, amazing how mnay back down after that.
getting some twin 40's fitted next week :)

pickle
03-10-03, 07:40 PM
good luc n the twins. how much? band new?

Philsutton
04-10-03, 05:30 PM
their second hand already set up for a 1400, 350 fitted

epo
04-10-03, 11:20 PM
ull get pulled by the old bill for having a exhaust too loud.

i think they can enforce u to go an mot station and sort it out especially if u got no boxes on it......?

mine past mot no prob even spoke 2 the tester about it did expect 2 have 2 change it as they can fail 4 excesive noise
but not bin pulled in mine yet but its a straight thro stainless steel job

Phil_G
04-10-03, 11:54 PM
Hi,

no specific regulatiosn relating to exhaust volume on the MOT, save it is deemed "not offensive" at time of test.

asked me m8 the other day on this for a similar question on another forum and he replied with that.

Phil

Serialkilla
05-10-03, 01:14 AM
I got pulled on the day after i past my test cause the coppers heard me a mile down the road.

They just asked if i fitted the back box myself i said "yer cause i'm a porsche mechanic".

They said ok on your way it looks in order, but they didn't check the rest of the system cause the exhaust was blowing at the gasket between manifold and downpipe, hence the fact it was loud at that time.

Serialkilla
05-10-03, 01:29 AM
There's a company that makes flamer kits for both turbo and non-turbo cars.

www.frogfordmotorsport.co.uk

[/url]

SKoob
06-10-03, 01:16 AM
Right I have decided to pop down the scrappy and find a nova exhaust to get a bit of pipe as long as the middle box and get the friendly locla mechanic to cut the middle box out and weld this bit of pipe in. Wud this see a noticable gain in power and noise?

Jules
06-10-03, 08:01 AM
Noise - yes
Power - Wouldn't of thought so.

SKoob
06-10-03, 11:48 AM
If i was to get a performance manifold i.e. 4-1 would I see a gain or loss with a almost standard engine? All its got is a weber 32/34 carb on a 1.3SR :?

Serialkilla
06-10-03, 08:15 PM
Yer you would get a small power gain cause the exhaust gasses can flow though without being diverted by the internals of the silencer.