PDA

View Full Version : Gsi dying coming to stop

rich a
15-06-22, 06:52 PM
Hi guys, I got the Gsi mot?d but driving it about it keeps dying when slowing an changing to second. Or when stopping at a junction. It fires back up, sometimes a bit reluctantly but never refused to start. Any ideas folks

Rich

millworm
15-06-22, 10:00 PM
First thing I'd check is the idle control valve, give it a good clean. Hows the idle when its just started and not been driven?

rich a
16-06-22, 10:33 AM
Mine doesn’t have an idle control valve bud. It idles fine bud, although it does idle a bit high. I’ve got the idle screw all the way in an it still sits at 1000rpm. It drops a bit when warm but still seems high to me. Other than that I’m stumped

Iain
16-06-22, 03:01 PM
So which is it? It keeps dying, or it idles fine?

They all came with an ICV, yours doesn't have one, and you've said it has a fault. Try putting one back in.

rich a
16-06-22, 06:09 PM
It idles fine bud or be it a bit high. It dies when your driving and change down from 3 to 2 or when you come to a stop. It doesn’t die at speed changing gear, only at low speed.

I might be mistaken about the icv, when I looked in the Haynes manual it looked like the icv was on a carb engine. Where would the icv be on an injection ?

torquey
16-06-22, 09:09 PM
Its bolted to the head where the injector loom is on a e16se. Check the afm flap mine did this and would cut out with it not opening and closing properly.

rich a
18-06-22, 07:11 AM
This might be why I’m getting confused, the bit I think your referring to is the auxiliary air valve in the Haynes manual. My understanding is that only opens on cold start then closes when warm. If it stays open I understand the idle would stay high. But would it cause the cutting out I’m describing

torquey
18-06-22, 08:50 AM
There is also the Coasting valve that hangs off the inlet manifold maybe worth checking. Have you checked the afm flap?

totalnova
18-06-22, 12:01 PM
What about the speed sensor on the gearbox, that cause the car to stall when pulling to a stop at junctions ifnits not working or disconnected?

millworm
18-06-22, 06:24 PM
What about the speed sensor on the gearbox, that cause the car to stall when pulling to a stop at junctions ifnits not working or disconnected?

Afaik the c16se doesn't have one

Nova_Tek
19-06-22, 12:12 AM
First thing I'd have said is the ICV too. Had many occasions on the Cavaliers of this happening on an otherwise fine runner..