PDA

View Full Version : Steering issue

torquey
23-03-20, 09:35 PM
I've got a issue on my nova. Recently its started to pull quite bad to the left and steering feels notchy. She's had new track rods bottom ball joints last year which are fine. Also checked suspension, anti roll bar is all tight. Ive checked everything is tight and bushes seem ok. Iam thinking maybe rack is on its way out. Any help/ideas anyone. :thumb:

millworm
23-03-20, 11:32 PM
Money is on sterring rack, does it still self centre? If you do the rack get quaife guts and new bearings

torquey
24-03-20, 07:38 AM
It's just pulling to the left the tracking is out slightly anyway but when I drive and let go of the wheel at slow speed of course lol its wanting to pull left bad.

torquey
24-03-20, 07:39 AM
Where best to buy a new rack ?

torquey
25-03-20, 07:54 AM
Is the corsa b ones the same other than the track rods are longer? Carnt find a nova one.

millworm
25-03-20, 12:29 PM
Corsa b is the same, rod ends need swapping and the pinion shaft is longer, needs chopping down

millworm
25-03-20, 12:32 PM
Get a rack from a car with electronic power steering and you'll get yourself a 2.7 turn lock to lock, nearly as good as the quaife

leggattr
25-03-20, 02:57 PM
I’ve been looking at doing this as a cheaper option to quaife. I thought it was a manual rack you needed tho?

torquey
25-03-20, 06:05 PM
Yeh might end up doing this. 1st iam gonna swap the steering coupling as I have a spare to rule that out.

millworm
25-03-20, 07:12 PM
I’ve been looking at doing this as a cheaper option to quaife. I thought it was a manual rack you needed tho?

Epas rack is manual, it's all in the column

leggattr
25-03-20, 10:12 PM
But From looking on eBay I see 2 different types of rack, one like the nova and one with hydraulic pipes attached.

Epas rack is manual, it's all in the column

millworm
26-03-20, 09:54 PM
3 racks in the corsa b. Completely manual like mine is and like a nova, manual column and manual rack. Then some car had hydralic power steering, normal coloum but have a hydro rack, these are the ones with the pipes. Then later cars had epas it's all contained within the column and the rack is completely manual. The epas rack is the one to get as its manual when attached to a normal column

leggattr
26-03-20, 10:12 PM
Any difference between manual rack and EPAS rack tho?

3 racks in the corsa b. Completely manual like mine is and like a nova, manual column and manual rack. Then some car had hydralic power steering, normal coloum but have a hydro rack, these are the ones with the pipes. Then later cars had epas it's all contained within the column and the rack is completely manual. The epas rack is the one to get as its manual when attached to a normal column

millworm
27-03-20, 07:34 AM
Any difference between manual rack and EPAS rack tho?

Yes the epas rack is quicker lock to lock than the manual one is. As the manual one gives more mechanical advantage seeing as theres no assistance, in turn it ends up being more turns lock to lock

leggattr
27-03-20, 08:53 AM
Can’t be much in it tho?

millworm
27-03-20, 07:23 PM
It's an upgrade worth doing if you find yourself needing a rack or if you going to do a lot of track driving, obviously the trade off is sterring is heavier for daily use