PDA

View Full Version : I still don't have an answer!!!

BLueNOvaGSI
30-09-03, 12:36 AM
:bad-word: Help, I have a couple of problems with my car:

NOVA 1.4sr

1) When I first start it up it makes a loud BANG, there is more fuel running through the exhaust and also comes out the top of the carb.

2) I had an engine rebuild 5months ago and up until a couple of weeks ago it has started to play up. Originally there was oil and water mixture and the coolant hose expanded to a size of a balloon!

I replaced hoses, the head, spark plugs, dizzy, etc etc I ended up spending ?300 on the engine alone

Like I said it's been alright up until a couple of weeks ago when I start her up the rev counter does drop down to 0 and stalls, Do you think I have some carbon build up?? and also when I change down to second gear the revs drop dramatically. It used to hold just under 1000revs NOT NOW!!
I have a manual choke that makes no difference.

PLEASE HELP
Angela
:evil: :roll: :twisted:

so1o
30-09-03, 12:47 AM
hold your horses, someone with the know-how will help u as soon as they see this post

BLueNOvaGSI
30-09-03, 12:53 AM
:o Oh HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO So1o

How's you, Sorry about that I just am getting a bit confused with this bloody nova. I have done everything that needed to be done.

Oh Well.

Keep Happy
Angela
:puppydog:

Gobby
30-09-03, 03:13 AM
:bad-word: Help, I have a couple of problems with my car:
2) I had an engine rebuild 5months ago and up until a couple of weeks ago it has started to play up. Originally there was oil and water mixture and the coolant hose expanded to a size of a balloon!

Oil and water is usually a sign of head gasket failure as far as I'm aware.

Aragorn
30-09-03, 10:37 AM
your hoses swelling indicate it overheating

is the thermostat ok?

were u ragging it around after installing the new head?

as for the oil and water was it mixing both ways?

if it was just in the cam cover it could be condensation

the bang sounds like backfiring from the timing and carb setups being wrong

as for it stalling...
either the carb is setup wrong - meaning you'll need a co meter and a haynes manual or there is summat up with the ignition coil/amp module but that would prolly manifest at high rpm's too

so1o
30-09-03, 11:41 AM
lmao, your a character Angela

_JH_
30-09-03, 06:20 PM
take it back to where you had the engine rebuild. could be any number of things. they may know exactly whats been done and how. if you have fiddled with something and made it worse because some EPC guru has told you it would work they may be less willing to help.

Novas.5u.com-Chris
30-09-03, 09:37 PM
The hoses swelling up and the oil in the water could all be signs of the head gasket. It could be leaking oil into the water and pressure from the cylinders into the water. With it running try removing the expansion bottle cap and see if any bubbles come up constantly. Did you have it skimmed when you removed it and fit a new gasket????
I had a 1ltr Nova (stop that laughing!!! Ive got a mint GSi now!!) and a couple of times one of the jets got blocked in the carb and caused it to cut out, bang and pop like a bastard!!!
Try reading your haynes manual and if you feel confident enough strip the carb and clean all the jets etc, use a strand of wire to poke any dirt out and blow them out too.
Hope this helps.

moffat sri
01-10-03, 12:17 AM
The hose swelling up may, or may not have something to do with it.
I had to change the top rad. hose on my SRI because it used to swell up. Once it was off i looked inside it to see a load of little cracks in the rubber. I think it was just worn and had perished.

I had an engine rebuild 5months ago and up until a couple of weeks ago it has started to play up. Originally there was oil and water mixture and the coolant hose expanded to a size of a balloon!

Do you mean the oil and water mixed before you had the rebuild?

BLueNOvaGSI
01-10-03, 06:37 PM
:o Yes there was oil mixing in the water container before we stripped half the engine.

I reckon it's something a bit more simpler than that! I know this sounds stupid but do you think it could be the BATTERY? Because I have put another new set of Spark plugs in. When the car finally gets going it seems to be okay!

Angela
:wink:

Chris LR
01-10-03, 06:45 PM
Mine did all that..

92' 1.4 SR

Exhaust popping, wouldn't idle, big water leak (whole expansion tank in 3 weeks) and it drank oil.

I found the solution - Trade it in :lol:.

Sounds like your Head Gasket is on the way out or it was incorrectly fitted. Mine went about 6 weeks after the water leak started.

You can replace it yourself - but if you do, change the belt and pump at the same time.

BLueNOvaGSI
01-10-03, 06:55 PM
:o I am selling it at the moment but cannot do this until I find myself another Nova and of course..........

...........fix the PROBLEM

It doesn't have an oil/water leak.

Angela
:roll:

Aragorn
01-10-03, 07:17 PM
get it to a garage and get the timing and carb setup

its not summat u can do yourself unless u have a timing strobe and exhaust gas analyser which im assuming you dont have

BLueNOvaGSI
01-10-03, 07:23 PM
:o Well I am just arranging a rolling road day soon with my region.

I don't know if that would give me any answers?

Angela
Performance Car Clubs Co-ordinator (www.pccuk.net) :wink:
Region 10

Aragorn
01-10-03, 08:10 PM
possibly

depending on how bad its running some places will refuse to put it on the rollers