PDA

View Full Version : Speedo cables keep breaking

SKoob
29-09-03, 03:48 PM
I have a 1.3SR and have replaced the speedo cable about 3 times in a matter of weeks :evil: . What wud be casuing the speedo cable to keep snapping? :?

Dicko
29-09-03, 04:17 PM
it must be put in well, no kinks or tight bends, if u put it the wrogn side of that metal support bar behind the dash cuasing a sharpish bend then it wont last long!!

mikeoxford
29-09-03, 04:56 PM
skoob i now have a collection of five.

email me and you can take the lot for a good price :lol: :twisted: seriously !

SKoob
29-09-03, 05:03 PM
i already got one sat in the garage ready to be fitted, but i don't want to until the cause of this is rectified, i think it maybe the speedo head, is there anyway of changing over just the speedo on the SR dilas or do i have to change the whole lot?

mikeoxford
29-09-03, 07:21 PM
it could be that the gearbox / cable is finding it hard to turn the speedo head as u say, perhaps lubricate it all inside?

PeteG
30-09-03, 12:07 AM
I have exact same prob with my GTE. I thinks its due to sticky speedo dial. so I'm gonna change my dials and replace the cable,see where takes me.

steve-o
30-09-03, 12:19 AM
you can change just the clock. i had mine out today

craig green
01-10-03, 11:21 AM
Dicko has the rite idea. I broke a few cos it was routed round the dash support strut thus kinking it. Lube up a new cable and route it smoothly. Go for a drive with the clocks out to check the thing is turning properly. If all is OK then fit clocks. You could connect to the cocks first and check by manually turning the g/box end to check for any undue resistance?? good luck!!

wrigleys
02-10-03, 06:26 PM
I've just snapped my speedo cable and it was fine and just stopped working :x

so I need a new one how much are they?

(p.s. could it be anything to with the speedo drive?)