PDA

View Full Version : Cheap mods for 1400sr engine??

AutograssNova
29-09-03, 01:37 PM
What is the best mod's to do on the engine, so far i've got
K&N,
Exhaust,

but what can i do to make the car a little pocket rocket for racing.

Cheap remember

beghy
29-09-03, 02:13 PM
modify the inlet manifold and slap a weber 32/34

AutograssNova
29-09-03, 02:40 PM
thanks, any more??

Austin_Nova16
29-09-03, 02:46 PM
i'm sure 'Cornish' used a head off of a corsa injection on his 1400sr. Bigger valves you see.....

AutograssNova
29-09-03, 03:27 PM
I was told to use a 1300 sr head and gearbox and it will go far better for short gear change

mikeoxford
29-09-03, 04:59 PM
changing the head will change the inlet ports, so make sure you have the correct inlet manifold for the head also.

1.3 SR and 1.4SR gearboxes *should* be the same gear ratios i would have thought? so no gain there.

going for a 1.3 or even better 1.2 head will increase flow and be better yes.

in the short term if you want a weber 32/34 that is almost brand new and matched onto a 1.4 manifold. email me

_JH_
29-09-03, 06:13 PM
so what class are you gonna race a 1400sr in?

AutograssNova
29-09-03, 11:23 PM
class5 on autograss

geordie_racer
30-09-03, 12:07 AM
basically 14sr setup ur lookin at somethin like this,

1.2 nova carb head
1.3sr inlet manifold ported to match a
32/34 webber carb or even twin 40's if u fancy it
14sr cam
14sr block
14sr coil/dizzy
K+N for carb
decent exhaust
decent leads.

think thats really the most you can reasonably do to a 14sr

chris

wisewood
30-09-03, 01:15 PM
http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66762

_JH_
30-09-03, 05:58 PM
decent exhaust

can you cut the rear floor out and fit your own suspension like in class 6?

if so you'll want to make the exhaust point up and out of the rear windscreen space, starting about level with the back of the seat, don't go wasting money on a decent exhaust, just some old exhaust tubing from your local exhaust centre, and a center section silencer from a bigger engined car if that makes sense

i take it you know a bit about autograss to be at the stage where your doing your car, so go into the pits at a local meet and talk to as many guys racing novas as possible, no matter what class. (just remember the cars have right of way, lol) if you don't already, you'll know what i mean when you see the back of the car cut out. a lot of guys don't bother at first as you gotta buy the suspension to suit, they just use GTE springs and do the cut out at a later date.

you'll probably want to upgrade to twin webers after i while, i'm pretty sure they are allowed in class 5

AutograssNova
30-09-03, 06:55 PM
mmmm, yeah i've been a member of autograss 4 years now

benji
30-09-03, 07:42 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but if i recall the regs then that setup will not be very competitive.

whats the deal with class 4 and 5. i know class 2 novas are basically stripped 1300sr's, isn't class 5 quite highly modified??

Jim
30-09-03, 07:46 PM
Remove as much weight from the car as possible. I'm talking rear seats, door cards, sound deadening, carpet, spare wheel, sun visors, all the creature comforts. Then get yourself a couple of lightweight bucket seats and your car will be a lot quicker.

Jim

benji
30-09-03, 08:03 PM
just had a quick look at the regs and i really dont think you will be competative in this class with out spending big bucks or having a lot of technical knowledge.

what did you race in class 4?? under 1130cc and modifications, surley this class would be ruled by minis.

as jim says loose weight, but that is the first thing in any autograss car.

rip out everything, lights, dash, wiring loom. rewire what you need (starter button and kill switch, dizzy wiring.) and that should do you.

if you want to be competitive without spendig big bucks go for a unmodified class in hillclimbing or sprinting and spend a lot of time preparing your shell or if you must do autograss go for class 2.

_JH_
30-09-03, 09:28 PM
i've been a member of autograss 4 years now

if you don't mind me asking, why are you requesting info from people who mainly set up there 1400s for road use? surely you could ask the class 5 nova drivers for what they do?

and benji, as for class 2 being cheap to be competitive, due to the restrictions, the top cars have had loads of money spent on blueprinting them to reach peak power. obviously you can just enter a reasonable car for fun, but you can do that in class 5 too. I think the setups suggested above will be competitive if done correctly.

and the classes with relatively no tuning restrictions like 5,6+7 are fun because you can just try anything. A regular class 6 nova near me is a 1.8 on twin 45s and there is little difference between it and the 16v toyota's and c20xe novas due to the way the rest of the car is set up

whatever you do have fun. i'm building a 2.0 8v nova for class 6 with a mate this winter once i've fixed up my pug 205, sounds sad but i'm itching to get started

AutograssNova
01-10-03, 05:33 PM
their only is one class5 nova in ireland and it is running a 1400 sr with bench flow'd head, class6 is very quick and i would love one but its the ????