PDA

View Full Version : Compression issues

leggattr
31-08-18, 03:26 PM
So got to the 1st attempts at starting my 1.4nv with 1.3sb head and cam. I’ve managed to sort the earth problem and now have a spark.
The issue is the compression feels so high it’s struggling to turn over. When all the plugs where out it went round pretty well. Any ideas for this?
I understood it would increase compression but you can really feel it when cranking by hand and you can here it release with the plugs out.
To my knowledge, the block is standard and the head has not been skimmed. The cam etc is standard 1.3 stuff.

Thanks
Richard

Dave M
31-08-18, 07:37 PM
Try doing a compression test and see where it’s at

Stuart
31-08-18, 08:53 PM
Could be a weak starter/battery

total_vauxhall
31-08-18, 08:59 PM
U sure its timed properly and not firing against its self

leggattr
31-08-18, 10:09 PM
From reading other posts it could be down to the battery not being fully charged. It’s been sitting the last few months and used to test all my electrics as I refitted everything. Another sign is the dash lights dropping as I turned the key. Got a 2nd starter motor to try plus going to charge the battery.
Felt happy with timing to be fair, plus it just didn’t crank enough to really get going with plugs in.

leggattr
02-09-18, 11:47 AM
Battery just above half before I started charging so fingers crossed that will be my issue

millworm
02-09-18, 12:02 PM
Would have said so mate

Will F
03-09-18, 09:38 AM
Mine wont start unless the battery is at least 75%

leggattr
03-09-18, 08:00 PM
So turns out the fully charged battery didn’t work. Turned abut more but nowhere near enough. This was with a different starter too.
What is strange is 1• Even hand cranking is so so stiff 2• you can hear on each turn the engine releaseing pressure through the carb or through the oil filler when I removed the cap. This I don’t remember from previous novas.
Dont know if I’ve done something wrong during the build. The bottom end turned freely before I put it together so could it be a timing thing? Sure the top arrow was at the top and bottom at the bottom.

torquey
03-09-18, 09:18 PM
Sounds timing related double check with a Haynes manual.

Will F
04-09-18, 08:42 AM
What's it like with the plugs out? Are you sure its not just a 'tight' bottom end?
Also - What are you turning it over with? A short, 3/8 ratchet will make it really difficult! lol

Jonesfach
04-09-18, 11:05 AM
So turns out the fully charged battery didn’t work. Turned abut more but nowhere near enough. This was with a different starter too.
What is strange is 1• Even hand cranking is so so stiff 2• you can hear on each turn the engine releaseing pressure through the carb or through the oil filler when I removed the cap. This I don’t remember from previous novas.
Dont know if I’ve done something wrong during the build. The bottom end turned freely before I put it together so could it be a timing thing? Sure the top arrow was at the top and bottom at the bottom.

I find my 1300 pretty tough to turn by hand and you do get noise through the carbs as the pressure increases and decreases.

Jonesfach
04-09-18, 11:06 AM
With plugs out it should whizz round.

leggattr
04-09-18, 07:18 PM
So far as I recalled the bottom turned with ease before I bolted the top back on. Plugs out and it does turn easier yes. I will go back to check timing again but just doesn’t currently have the guts to crank with plugs in.
when hand cranking I was just using a small socket with extension so will try again with a breaker bar. Didn’t know if the oil not getting around the engine wasn’t helping matters

torquey
04-09-18, 07:42 PM
Starter defo a good known working one? Bigger bar needed to turn over by hand for sure!

leggattr
04-09-18, 07:45 PM
Tried 2 starters, both tested working off the engine.

torquey
04-09-18, 07:52 PM
Defo got enough oil in it? Remember a guy who rebuilt his engine and forgot to put oil in he was wondering why it was so hard to turn over by hand lol.

leggattr
04-09-18, 08:38 PM
So just been back out to car, taken 2 videos of turn over. 1 with distributor disconnected and plugs/fuel out and the other all back together. Don’t know how to uploads them tho? Anyway it’s got plenty of oil in and with plugs out it spins lovely under the starter and oil was getting to the cam. Again when all back together the 2nd time had the same problem.

millworm
04-09-18, 10:17 PM
Have you checked what voltage you're getting at the starter motor?

Jonesfach
04-09-18, 10:38 PM
Is it firing at all? Trying?

total_vauxhall
05-09-18, 06:12 AM
Do a compression test . If thats ok its gota be the timing

leggattr
05-09-18, 09:04 AM
Not sure on voltage as I don’t have a multimeter. It’s not attempting to fire as it just won’t crank enough. I will pick up a compression tester just in case. I think I will remove the belt and check everything again just in case it’s out a bit.

torquey
05-09-18, 09:52 AM
I had this once turned out to be earth problem. Ran another one and fired up.

total_vauxhall
05-09-18, 10:09 AM
^^^^ good point try a jump lead from neg on battery to starter or starter bolts

leggattr
05-09-18, 10:37 AM
I wasn’t confident with my gearbox earth strap so have been running a jump lead from battery earth directly to gearbox since trying to start it.

Jonesfach
05-09-18, 11:52 AM
Have you got a spark? I would take one or all plugs the out and then rest them on the cylinder head near where they go. Get someone to crank it over and see if they are giving a spark.

leggattr
05-09-18, 05:58 PM
I do have a spark

Will F
06-09-18, 10:05 AM
I still call bettery - drive a car up to it (if you can) and try a jump start - if its still sluggish its either starter or something is tight!

leggattr
06-09-18, 01:08 PM
Probably could get the Corsa near it. Should get a multimeter to test the current too.

Jonesfach
06-09-18, 01:13 PM
I do have a spark

I take it you have fuel? I know after getting mine going a few years back it was turning over too slow....with plugs in. Battery will defo help but mine seemed to struggle to get the fuel through on the mechanical fuel pump...due to slow turnover.

leggattr
06-09-18, 04:39 PM
Yeah got fuel going in fine, it was fowling the plugs as it wasn’t igniting so disconnected the hose from the pump do it didn’t flood. Im borrowing a multimeter meter so will charge the battery again if it needs it and go from there.

leggattr
06-09-18, 10:11 PM
Battery showing 13v tonight so no need to charge, I’d say that’s fine to start with. Tomorrow I will check what it’s like at the starter.

leggattr
07-09-18, 11:18 AM
So to conclude the electrical testing.
Battery showing full charge as per previous post.
When cranking attempted it drops to 10v which still should be fine to start.
Checking the starter signal from the ignition switch and I’m getting 12v
Drop tested the power to the starter from the battery and it showed 0v so means the red wire is fine.
Then tested the earthing and again showed less than zero volts

so this to me says it’s a mechanical issue so will need to go back over everything on the engine.

leggattr
07-09-18, 07:00 PM
So I’ve managed to start it wahoo!! It stayed running all the while I pressed the throttle and then cut out when I let off. Battery has run down too much again so needs a good charge again.
Well done to Total Vauxhall for guessing the problem correctly, the ignition timing seemed to be slightly off so was working against the starter and causing it to look like a weak battery/starter. Once charged I can start on the finer tweaking to get it idling.
Thanks for everyone’s help with this.