PDA

View Full Version : Sri 6 dial clocks oil pressure sensor

gitters27
17-06-18, 05:43 PM
Iv just fit the clocks in my 1.2 merit J reg,had to run a new green wire to coil which wasn’t a problem,ever thing seems to be working with no lights on,the oil pressure light is out so I presume the pressure sensor is the correct one,I keep reading about 2 different sensors?

millworm
17-06-18, 07:46 PM
You need the oil pressure sender and sensor, it's one unit you take out the sensor on the back of the oil pump and fot that, then run the extra wire for the oil gauge. They came on any car woth 6 dial clocks aswell as other vauxhalls. On another note your car should have alreasy had the rev counter wire taped up in the loom behind the clocks

gitters27
17-06-18, 08:11 PM
I definitely never had a green wire and the plug only had 1 slot empty which was rev counter wire,I have an old loom so just removed a pin from that to connect my wire,mine is a carb model one of the last,I think it’s just the spi 1.2 that had the green wire there.
where does the second wire from the new oil sensor go?no more empty pins/spaces in clock connector plug

millworm
18-06-18, 01:10 AM
The rev counter wire will be there, tapped right back, easier to run a new one though if I'm honest. There should be a spade connector on tbe back behind were the oil gauage is on the clocks

millworm
18-06-18, 01:10 AM
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 291703325474

gitters27
18-06-18, 10:07 AM
My clocks are the Sr/Sri ones with white dials,no spade connector on back of clocks I would of remembered I’m sure,thank you for the help

torquey
18-06-18, 10:49 AM
They sound like mk2 ones!

gitters27
18-06-18, 01:11 PM
They are 100% mk2 clocks,the voltage and oil gauge have a red bar no needle this is why I think you don’t need twin pin sensor because the light is either on or off

RichGold
19-06-18, 10:32 PM
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 291703325474
Sorry to jump in on this thread but I'm doing something similar at the moment. My clocks are in and working apart from the oil pressure. Is the sender I need to wire it to not on the back of the engine? Or do I need one of these above from ebay?

millworm
19-06-18, 10:35 PM
Sorry to jump in on this thread but I'm doing something similar at the moment. My clocks are in and working apart from the oil pressure. Is the sender I need to wire it to not on the back of the engine? Or do I need one of these above from ebay?If the onw on the back of your oil don't look like this then youll need this one, it'll just be a switch not a sender normally. 90% of 1.2's won't have it. Most 1.3 and 1.4 will if they are sr or gl

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

marc69
20-06-18, 01:52 PM
They are 100% mk2 clocks,the voltage and oil gauge have a red bar no needle this is why I think you don’t need twin pin sensor because the light is either on or off

These clocks don't need the two pin oil pressure sender as yours is just a normal oil light and not an oil pressure gauge. The light should go out once the car is going like on a normal oil pressure warning light.

marc69
20-06-18, 01:58 PM
If the onw on the back of your oil don't look like this then youll need this one, it'll just be a switch not a sender normally. 90% of 1.2's won't have it. Most 1.3 and 1.4 will if they are sr or gl

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Only if your clocks have an oil pressure gauge which usually only appears on 6 dial clocks (GL/SRMk1/GTE/GSi) Mk2 Sr and Sri along with a few others (td/Antibes etc) have a rev counter but the oil pressure is just a large light in the space where the gauge is in 6 dial clocks. The oil pressure gauges need the two pin sender mentioned above to operate.

RichGold
20-06-18, 02:15 PM
I have mk1 clocks with a real guage (not a light) for oil pressure.
I guess I'll need one of these then.

marc69
20-06-18, 05:37 PM
I have mk1 clocks with a real guage (not a light) for oil pressure.
I guess I'll need one of these then.

The link put up earlier is a bargain at 25, for a while you couldn't get these for under 85. Easy fit, screw on and fit the wire from the second connection if it isn't already in your car.

RichGold
20-06-18, 06:31 PM
Thanks for that. I've been unsure of what to do with the oil guage and that sorts it. Cheers