PDA

View Full Version : Questions around exhausts 1993 Nova

leggattr
02-03-18, 11:56 AM
So as I get nearer to fitting my exhaust I've discovered a problem. The engine I'm running is a carbed 1.4 so a NV pre cat engine. The car is a 1993 1.2i so ran a cat. I've had a read in the articles section about when declaring your engine swap you can contact vauxhall to confirm what the new engine came from so to prove it was a carbed model. I've attempted this and they cannot get that info for me due to age!!
I have already got the middle and front pipe from a SR which I was going to fit to a standard 1.3 downpipe and manifold but I'm I best for MOT purposes to fit a standard 1.4 sri system from front to rear box including a CAT?
Any advice would be great.

Richard

bazzap8389
02-03-18, 01:22 PM
Befriend an mot tester lol

Jack
02-03-18, 04:45 PM
There won't be a match in the In Service Exhaust Emissions manual (i.e. there was never a 1993 Nova with a 14NV engine) so it will be done on the non-cat test. The MOT tester should be made aware it's not got the standard engine in though, you'll probably have to point out the engine code on the block. Soooo try and find a garage that doesn't have a grumpy MOT tester lol

[edit] This (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/676700/in-service-exhaust-emission-standards-for-road-vehicles-19th-edition.pdf) is the very boring manual, but the bit you are interested in is in the footer of pg 2 where it says:

Passenger cars first used before 1 August 1995, not mentioned in the Annex and which at date of engine manufacture were incapable of passing the catalyst test will be tested to non-catalyst standards

(the Annex only lists injection engined Novas btw)

leggattr
02-03-18, 05:38 PM
Would you then say the 1.2i is a non injection?

leggattr
02-03-18, 07:43 PM
Sorry jack I didn't see the pack you added to this. Very good read. I'm then best to speak with the tester prior to the MOT.
What info would the tester know about the car I.e if the engine is different and logged with dvla can they see that?

millworm
03-03-18, 12:50 PM
To be brutally honest mate I'd just prey on ignorance of a tester and try it, if he picks up on it then tell him, I had a full on argument with a tester over this and he refused to pass it.

leggattr
03-03-18, 01:14 PM
This is not the ideal solution year on year tho.

Jonesfach
03-03-18, 04:37 PM
Sorry jack I didn't see the pack you added to this. Very good read. I'm then best to speak with the tester prior to the MOT.
What info would the tester know about the car I.e if the engine is different and logged with dvla can they see that?
They pull the previous test details up from the central computer these days.

leggattr
03-03-18, 07:22 PM
A pass in 2007 was the last one. Wonder if there's any records that far back.

Jonesfach
04-03-18, 10:09 AM
A pass in 2007 was the last one. Wonder if there's any records that far back.
Maybe not. Have you checked the mot history?
its usually a good indicator what they have on the car.

leggattr
04-03-18, 10:28 AM
Only via the gov website and it only said it failed the day before a passed retest and listed the failed areas. It did not list engine size etc.

Jack
04-03-18, 09:45 PM
Not sure what would come up on the MOT system, it might show engine size but the difference between 1.2 and 1.4 isn't going to be obvious to the average tester. They should notice a carburettor instead of injection system though lol

I would suggest maybe calling a garage first and explaining you need an MOT, but you have an older engine fitted in a newer car, needs the pre-cat emissions test etc. If this will be the car's first MOT with the new engine they'll probably update the MOT system with the new details.

Jonesfach
04-03-18, 10:49 PM
Not sure what would come up on the MOT system, it might show engine size but the difference between 1.2 and 1.4 isn't going to be obvious to the average tester. They should notice a carburettor instead of injection system though lol

I would suggest maybe calling a garage first and explaining you need an MOT, but you have an older engine fitted in a newer car, needs the pre-cat emissions test etc. If this will be the car's first MOT with the new engine they'll probably update the MOT system with the new details.

This. Pop down for a little chat. If they are helpful then take it there. If they are just not interested take it somewhere else.

leggattr
05-03-18, 10:16 AM
Sounds like the best idea. I think il fit the sr exhaust minus cat and see how it goes.

leggattr
05-03-18, 03:10 PM
So called a local MOT centre that wasn't sure so will get back to me!!

Jonesfach
06-03-18, 01:08 PM
So called a local MOT centre that wasn't sure so will get back to me!!

At least you will have a good idea of how it sits with the Mot man before you take it. Also not waste your time if they are going to fail it.....it sounds like they don't have a clue..

leggattr
06-03-18, 03:35 PM
Well walked into another one nearer me today and talked through the situation. They 1st said do I have proof of where the engine came from, I acted dum and said it was already fitted but assumed it came from a 88,89,90 nova sr. After some head scratching The guy went and checked the computer and ask another tester and came back and said it would more than likely be a pre cat check. I told them il see them in the summer then!!

Jonesfach
07-03-18, 10:19 AM
Well walked into another one nearer me today and talked through the situation. They 1st said do I have proof of where the engine came from, I acted dum and said it was already fitted but assumed it came from a 88,89,90 nova sr. After some head scratching The guy went and checked the computer and ask another tester and came back and said it would more than likely be a pre cat check. I told them il see them in the summer then!!

Result.....