PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new member, new car

RichGold
16-12-17, 12:42 PM
Just thought I'd say hi. I bought my 4th Nova a few weeks ago (with a 20 year gap from the last one) and here it is.
https://i.imgur.com/wv2ACwA.jpg
Its a 28 year old 1300 with the exterior clad in GTE clothes, nice respray, solid all round, lowered, sports exhaust, etc,etc
Spent a couple of days right after I bought it countering the usual methods of theft as it came with no secuirty http://www.pngclub.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.png
Its mainly a nostalgia trip for me as I have another couple of vehicles so will mainly be using this in the summer for fun. I have lots of plans for it, I love to tinker and plan to add lots to it. I never wanted one of these to go quickly, its mainly about the look, which this car acheives nicely.
I hope no-one will run this car down for being a replica, it looks the part and thats what i wanted.
I'd be hoping to maybe get some advise on parts from those in the know at some point as I start to improve it, maybe replace its interior etc but I've already had a bit of experience albeit 20 years ago as I owned 3 before and stripped 1 to rolling shell back then.
Got some work to do on it this week now the bit I've ordered for it are here as it wants a new window mech, new stereo with new speakers and I have some fluffy dice too :)
Looking forward to seeing what everyone else here has, and what they've done to them :)
Rich

Stuart
16-12-17, 05:12 PM
Lovely looking car fella

EwanG
16-12-17, 05:26 PM
Was this the one that was on eBay? Looks good well done. Any rust? Good shout on upgrading the stereo it will save you from listening to the usual interior rattles of a nova lol

millworm
16-12-17, 06:22 PM
Looks very smart, saw it for sale but the wallet said no ...and the other 5 cars I have did too lol

RichGold
16-12-17, 07:16 PM
Was this the one that was on eBay? Looks good well done. Any rust? Good shout on upgrading the stereo it will save you from listening to the usual interior rattles of a nova lol

Yes it was recently on ebay, most of the work has already been done for me. I simply wanted a mk1 with the right bumpers, mk1 boot spoiler and gte skirts, and this has more than i bargained for to say that I looked at some proper buckets before buying this.

Yes, NO RUST.

Tiny amount of surface on the inner wing about 50mm by 5mm, and a patch above the pedals, nothing major.

Suspension requires attention despite being told it was almost new. It handles like the wheels arent on right but I'll find whats up with it.

Going to fit the window mech, 8 ball gear knob, new battery, and maybe the new kenwood stereo tomorrow if the weathers kind.

Does the original gear knob just pull off? and i presume the window mech is riveted in? anyone know what size rivets? :)

millworm
16-12-17, 07:37 PM
Gear knob pulls off eventually, it's not threaded so you'd have to cut a thread into it. And from memory yes they're rivited, not sure on size though

blindside-retro
16-12-17, 09:24 PM
bought this car few years back in standard original form in Liverpool area, bodywork was in good condition. best of luck for future plans. nice motor :thumb:

RichGold
16-12-17, 10:29 PM
bought this car few years back in standard original form in Liverpool area, bodywork was in good condition. best of luck for future plans. nice motor :thumb:

You owned this? When was that? And yes I did get it from Ireland.
Lots of Nova's I considered over the last couple of years were in Ireland, so much so I was beggining to think someone over there was hoarding them all!

blindside-retro
17-12-17, 10:30 PM
Yea, bought it on way home from VBOA spares day in March 2011 with circa. 40K mileage F Reg. was in standard form then. sold it shortly after that to another guy in NI.

wwmnw
18-12-17, 01:21 PM
Why is Stu's post showing as number 1 for me and nothing by Rich?

Jonesfach
18-12-17, 01:59 PM
Why is Stu's post showing as number 1 for me and nothing by Rich?

me too. No pic either

Stuart
18-12-17, 08:06 PM
I that better?

wwmnw
18-12-17, 08:11 PM
No

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/lostboy_014/Untitled_zpsixrjygkm.png (http://s220.photobucket.com/user/lostboy_014/media/Untitled_zpsixrjygkm.png.html)

Stuart
18-12-17, 09:08 PM
Hmm, weird.

it did get moderated and I thought I had sorted that out. Maybe it needs more fiddling lol

Stuart
18-12-17, 09:14 PM
And now?

millworm
18-12-17, 09:28 PM
Seems fine to me?

wwmnw
18-12-17, 10:25 PM
Fine now Stu.

RichGold
22-12-17, 04:18 PM
Now fully serviced, with new cam belt, Cat 1 security fitted.
Still got the window mech and stereo to fit, i've found an old roll of window tint for a shade bar, wind deflectors have arrived from germany.... I'm going to make a start on that lot on christmas eve before going to the pub :)
I've also been looking for the dashboard from the one I stripped 20 years ago which I'm sure is still knocking around somewhere as it will have the ashtray insert that I seem to be missing, not that I even smoke.
Also sourced an entire mk4 Golf recaro interior in pristine condition that I'm going to measure up to see if I can make fit with a little cutting of the rear bench and some alterations to the fronts, its either that or buy a ropey GTE interior from ebay and set about re-upholstering it.
I've been looking for new alloys, I need more of the 14" 3 spokes as I have at least 1 that is buckled.
Going to get it undersealed at the first opportunity in the new year.
In other words, I've been quite busy :)

NovalutionGSi
23-12-17, 11:57 PM
Good work mate.
Wouldn't worry too much on the Rep thing. My sting had most of the GTE kit on, I just finished it off with the grille and rear bumper valance, still rocking it's 1.2 though. Lol. Be good to see this at some shows as well.

RichGold
24-12-17, 10:39 AM
Yep I'll be looking to get out and about in it in the new year so I'll pop along to a show or two.

Just got a very keen builder coming today to give me another quote for building a garage, I've been meaning to have a garage built for a while so I have somewhere to tinker but the car arriving has brought that forward.

RichGold
24-12-17, 04:33 PM
Just had a couple of hours at it today. Fixed the window mech, one of the previous owners had kindly drilled the rivets out for me and replaced them with nuts and bolts all of different sizes, so fitting was pretty simple. The winding spindle on the replacement mech is off-angle though so I'll be looking to make 1 good mech out of the old one and the new one at some point, but for the meantime the window works fine. Also fitted the wind deflectors, replaced the sidelight bulbs with led's, hoovered it out, found a damp patch under the rear seats (?), some budweiser bottle tops and and old 10p. Also found some rust around the vin number that will need looking at and a nasty scratch on the o/s/r quarter that looks fresh. Fitted the new Kenwood Dab BT mechless stereo, the standard front speakers arent as shit as I thought they would be but I still cant find anywhere to fit the 6" speakers in the rear without breaking out the cutting gear. I might have to settle for 4" in the rear boot support panels as they have 4" cutouts with a blanking panel in them. I'm going to need an underseat sub I think. Fitted the pool ball gear knob and took it off again as I prefer the original one. Also applied 2 fluffy dice to the rear view mirror. Job done:)
Now off to the pub :)

RichGold
26-12-17, 01:43 PM
Today I worked out what to do about the rear speakers.
https://i.imgur.com/CWjos8z.jpg
Nice neat job, should sound good as I've used these speakers in 2 vehicles before, loud and crisp.
Going to fit the wiring for them, the bluetooth mic and the dab splitter, and if the splitter is no good I'll put the ful dab antenna in.
I should have run out of jobs to do by 4pm :)

boffer8
26-12-17, 05:26 PM
Looking good fella, should be a good project thread this!

RichGold
07-01-18, 01:08 PM
Yeah I dont mind if you move it to projects, I've a lot to do on this car :)

Yesterday I had the owner of the bodyshop I've used for my vans pop round to have a look at the rust - he also does proper renovations and always seems to have an E-type or Morris Traveller in for resto when i see him. Its booked in for the first week of March, and as well as sorting the rust I think I might have the rear spoiler bodycoloured and aerial removed and replced with one on the roof while its there. Also spoken to a company I deal with daily at work that do car wrapping so also going to have the rear boot black stripe and the vinyl between the side windows done - I think it needs it.
If anyone knows the best place to get this vinyl I'd like to know, I've seen the seller on ebay who does the kits, if anyone knows where to buy this vinyl off the roll that would be just as good as these lads that I know who wrap are mustard and would be able to sort it.
Fitted new number plates as the old rear one had separated and got water in it. Led's have arrived for the interior lights.
The damp has gotten worse so going to strip the interior this week and probably remove the rear windows to see where its coming from.

Also everyone is telling me I should be on Facebook now seeing as I own a Nova. Thats something I've spent the last 10 years trying to avoid.

RichGold
07-01-18, 01:12 PM
Just to add, if anyone knows about suspension Im going to put it on stands this week and try to get the the bottom of why its such a harsh ride. I'm hoping its adjustable but I've not had a good look at it yet so any pointers would be appreciated.

Stuart
08-01-18, 07:48 AM
You dont "need" FB... tbh the only thing its handy for are parts, everything else still happens on good ole fashion forums (like events organisation)

RichGold
08-01-18, 07:20 PM
Im only saying what everyone from the bodyhop man to well, everyone else has said, and they did mean for parts.
That said, I personally just dont think facebook is for me eitherway despite never having had any experience of it.

Im here arent i? :)

Today I bit the bullet and bought the wrap from ebay for the boot stripe and the B pillars, and a short shifter.
Suspension getting sorted on saturday morning at a proper tuning garage right after I get the vinyl fitted.
Its going to be an expensive month.

torquey
08-01-18, 07:34 PM
Facebook is shite fact! There was a world before Facebook came along people seem to forget that.

totalnova
08-01-18, 07:47 PM
I only use facebook for parts, plus I always try and collect the parts if I can, too many story's of things getting 'lost' in the post.

RichGold
19-01-18, 06:26 PM
Ok got quite a lot done last weekend...
https://preview.ibb.co/eHgf9G/IMG_20180115_WA0006.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/hzB8ww/IMG_20180115_WA0003.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/imsWGw/IMG_20180115_WA0004.jpg
Had the vinyl done using the kit from ebay and they made a nice job fitting it.
The shortshift was fitted and tightened the gearchange up nicely.
This weekend its 2 new mirrors, replace the GTE badges with new ones and a new thermostat to see if that fixes the cold heater, if not then its a new matrix next weekend. I know the stickers pictured are wrong, but since taking this pic I've been sent the correct ones to replace them.
https://preview.ibb.co/gZOhOb/WP_20180116_18_51_55_Pro.jpg
Also bought 2 steering wheels (not sure why) and I'll fit the one I like the most and ditch the dodgy MK2 wheel it has now.

NovalutionGSi
21-01-18, 08:55 AM
Good progress.
Before buying a new matrix, whip the pipes off it, attach a hose pipe to it and let the water pressure do some work. Did this with my old GSi after it got colder and colder, the amount of gunk that came out was shocking and after that, nice and toasty heat!

RichGold
23-01-18, 07:25 PM
I do plan on trying to flush it through but it snowed most of the weekend so I'm behind.

Today took all 4 new 14" 3 spokes to the garage and had them put on the wheel balancing machine, all of them are straight with 3 good tyres. £91. Bargain.

Other steering wheel arrived today and its a load of crap so its going back. Chipped, really worn and dirty to boot.

Also bought 2 of these....
http://www.homsani-ats.de/WebRoot/Store21/Shops/79993601/5813/7A1C/04C4/DA9B/6EEE/C0A8/2BB9/8D85/HA750N-ats_ml.jpg
I need to make a start fitting all this stuff as I'm beginning to run out of space!

NovalutionGSi
26-01-18, 07:14 AM
Liking those seats.

RichGold
26-01-18, 05:58 PM
Im liking those seats too. I'm not liking having 2 massive boxes in my spare room though, its taken up most of the available space.
Ordered the correct vehicle specific mounts and sliders from Temon Dweeks for £178. Ouch.
Also got a spare-wheel mount bolt and turney-nut thing from ebay for a few quid as my car is missing one.

Crossy
26-01-18, 07:37 PM
What eBay seller did you get the vinyl and the Gte decals from mate ? Need some for my Gte.

RichGold
26-01-18, 08:10 PM
B Pillars
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171275617284

Boot
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181357621581

The stuffs not cheap, but its not bad either. The boot vinyl comes with a GTE sticker, if you want a matching set it could be an idea to ask if he can cut the ones for the doors as well, I should have asked this but didnt know until it arrived.

Also got refunded on that astra gte steering wheel without any complaint from the seller - he must have known he was chancing his arm trying to sell that, it was fooked. He didn't even want it returned so its going in my bin.

RichGold
27-01-18, 01:07 PM
Just got a front strut brace on order.
I need to make some inroads into replacing this suspension now - thats the next thing before anything else as I've got sidetracked with lots of other things when I should have been looking at that.