PDA

View Full Version : Too old to own a Nova?

Dod
22-08-17, 08:23 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/webkit-fake-url://cd7d9d5d-9f04-4da1-aeca-51c9ddd61204/imagejpeg
So it looks like I still haven't grown up. 7years in the pipeline and I got another one.

totalnova
22-08-17, 06:25 PM
I wonder how old is the oldest member on here is, I'm 31 and I'd guess there is mostly older members these days then youngsters

Stuart
22-08-17, 06:46 PM
Seen some right oldies at shows this year.

Stuart
22-08-17, 06:47 PM
Plus my grandma had her Nova well into her 70's if not 80's lol

millworm
22-08-17, 09:24 PM
I feel like I'm 60 so does that count lol

Dod
22-08-17, 10:19 PM
I'm 34 and just bought a load of parts from what seem like kids. Lol

maybe I should sell up and buy an Insignia and admit defeat. Lol

EwanG
23-08-17, 05:50 AM
Yeh sell up! But don't buy an insignia ffs. Buy a cavalier its a more grown up car than a nova lol. I'm 36 and sold up 3 months ago.

Southie
23-08-17, 06:05 AM
I don't feel too old to own a Nova but I would feel too old to buy a new Viva lol

Royston
23-08-17, 07:31 AM
Seen some right oldies at shows this year.

You being cheeky :o

:)

marc69
23-08-17, 02:51 PM
I'm in my mid forties and don't give a sh#t what everyone else thinks. Besides most young folk haven't got a clue what a carb, points etc are anyway.

Dod
23-08-17, 10:20 PM
Yeh sell up! But don't buy an insignia ffs. Buy a cavalier its a more grown up car than a nova lol. I'm 36 and sold up 3 months ago.

I've already got 2! Lol

HarryNotts
23-08-17, 10:56 PM
I'm 57. Do I win a prize?(Not Werthers Originals)

PAULDRIVER
24-08-17, 11:17 AM
Try telling walter rohrl, group b rally legend, that hes too old,
Can you imagine his grandkids telling their mates, they are going for an afternoon drive with grandad lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8pqPPzOMtw&t=192s

Here he is 26 years earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdy8CG09rSU

Southie
24-08-17, 09:39 PM
Novas are brilliant end of, basic cars that have become rediscovered in price which to me has made them too expensive, parts alone have made them a nightmare so this will only bump up prices... especially of rare ones but even shitty 5 door hatches become desirable lol

Jack
24-08-17, 11:35 PM
Dod, I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed.

nova_niek
25-08-17, 02:08 PM
I'm 57. Do I win a prize?(Not Werthers Originals)

And there's me thinking I'm old at 52, complete with fading eyesight, rapidly receding hairline, increasing weight... something went wrong somewhere. Still love Novas though.

EwanG
25-08-17, 06:52 PM
Receding hair line at 52! Think yourself lucky I was bald at 22 lol

Andy
25-08-17, 08:41 PM
Novas are brilliant end of,even shitty 5 door hatches become desirable lol
Lets take a breath and calm down lol

Dod
25-08-17, 10:14 PM
Dod, I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed.

I genuinely dont don't know which I am though....

NovalutionGSi
25-08-17, 10:58 PM
I'm 34, now have my 4th Nova and when I'm out driving it I feel like I'm 24 again.

One of my ex work mates asked if I could should his new girlfriend a "real" Vauxhall, then explained she worked for thurlow nunns (Vauxhall dealers) in fakenham, as a mechanic, to which I replied that she knew how to use a laptop. She has vowed to punch me! Lol.

We're never to old for Novas, we all either love Novas too much or are drawn back to our teenage/early 20s and just don't want to grow up! I know I don't really want to!

Southie
25-08-17, 11:14 PM
I've not had one now for 7 years but I know if I drove one I'd still have a smile on my face, I do miss that crocking clutch nose lol

Chay84
12-10-17, 08:26 PM
I'm 33 I sold mine a couple of years ago and said I was finished with them. Went to pvs in June and now bought another after swearing I was done, drove 420 miles home and smiled all the way.

BRoadGhost
12-10-17, 09:31 PM
Can you imagine having the knowledge & skill you do now, when you were 17yrs old with your 1st nova...

nova_niek
13-10-17, 02:57 PM
Can you imagine having the knowledge & skill you do now, when you were 17yrs old with your 1st nova...

I bought my first Nova (1986 Mk1, secondhand from a local dealership) in 1991, when they were still available from the factory. Had I known back then what I know now, I would have gotten at least 2 GSi's with every possible option in the book and a shedload of rare spares (gutter trims and coin trays anyone?) to make sure they would run forever. Oh well, such is life. lol

total_vauxhall
13-10-17, 03:25 PM

Me and a mate were talking about this the other day . I have had over 30 novas if only id know what they would end up like I would never have sold a single one lol. I rember having a what would now be mint gte and fitting a full abyss kit to it and throwing away the interior .

Chay84
13-10-17, 06:17 PM
I know the feeling throwing away engines and decent spares thinking they were worthless. If only we knew. Never mind what's done is done. Just been out for a we spin in mine there still smiling ☺

Mike
14-10-17, 05:50 PM
Id never bother getting one again but im far from nostalgic lol and have nowhere near enough time to piss about with old cars.

The older i get, the more i appreciate boggo standard powerful dailys.

I do find it funny when people say modern cars are shit, boring blah blah. How the fuck do you know, youve only ever owned 20+ year old cars lol go an drive a modern hot hatch like an RS3, Golf R or even Fiesta ST180. Unbelievable amounts of fun straight out the factory.

EwanG
14-10-17, 06:00 PM
I get what your saying mike that's why I sold mine also wanted more garage space. But fords no I hate them German cars all the way! I'm on this forum because I love the look of a nova and interested in what members are doing with them. But I don't like driving one so for me no point owning one. Like what you said modern cars are a joy to drive so refined and technology becoming better and better.

Chay84
14-10-17, 06:38 PM
Id never bother getting one again but im far from nostalgic lol and have nowhere near enough time to piss about with old cars.

The older i get, the more i appreciate boggo standard powerful dailys.

And the nova is more fun compared to the Rs imo
I do find it funny when people say modern cars are shit, boring blah blah. How the fuck do you know, youve only ever owned 20+ year old cars lol go an drive a modern hot hatch like an RS3, Golf R or even Fiesta ST180. Unbelievable amounts of fun straight out the factory.

I understand where you are coming from but I test drove a mark 3 focus rs a month ago and I was close to buying but then though very hard about it and I would have to get rid of my e90 daily as couldn't justify keeping 2 cars at that kind of money. Bought a nova turbo and am really enjoying it and it's in the garage at night and still have my e90 that I get 50 to a gallon as a daily driver

And the nova is more fun than the Rs imo

Mike
14-10-17, 07:18 PM
I understand where you are coming from but I test drove a mark 3 focus rs a month ago and I was close to buying but then though very hard about it and I would have to get rid of my e90 daily as couldn't justify keeping 2 cars at that kind of money. Bought a nova turbo and am really enjoying it and it's in the garage at night and still have my e90 that I get 50 to a gallon as a daily driver

And the nova is more fun than the Rs imo

The new RS isnt all that. Cracked cyclinder heads, water leaks and even headgasket failure at under 10k miles lol. Wouldnt waste your money. A guy i work with sold his at less then 8k miles because of issues.

As much as i like classic hot hatches, im not centimental enough to buy another one lol modern performance fasty road cars really are very good these days.

Andy
14-10-17, 08:45 PM
Not had a road one for 7years,with today’s prices I just couldn’t justify/afford having a road one anymore.
That goes for any “hot hatch” now tbh

Benn
16-10-17, 04:27 PM
go an drive a modern hot hatch like an Golf R Unbelievable amounts of fun straight out the factory.

My friend has one, i was really really dispointed with it.
Didn't pick up like i thought it would and felt very wobbly and lardy going around a sweeping roundabout.

nova_niek
16-10-17, 07:55 PM
My friend has one, i was really really dispointed with it.
Didn't pick up like i thought it would and felt very wobbly and lardy going around a sweeping roundabout.

That's because modern cars are crammed to the roof with all kinds of gizmos.
Fact: a Mk1 Golf GTI does 0-60 exactly as quick as a Mk6 Golf GTI. Go figure. (Not sure about the Mk7 but that's just as lardy if not worse)

robg2
16-10-17, 08:42 PM
I'll be 45 this christmas. I've had my Nova GTE rally car precisely 15 years and it's been on the road (almost) throughout.

My first Nova was, er, 20 years ago.

Too old? No, not really.

GT1965
17-10-17, 06:38 PM
I'm 52 and 4 months ago(after 2 year search!!) I managed to get my hands on a j reg Nova td. Immaculate. Fantastic little runabout!!
Never too old to own a Nova imo

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RJM25R
22-10-17, 10:05 AM

drive a Merc 4x4 company car and own a Boxster weekend steer.

id love another nova.

i doubt id look any more stupid than I do in a Boxster!

Dod
24-10-17, 08:40 PM
I've had GSI everything, M5's and Twin Turbo Sierras and nothing excites me more than seeing a clean and tidy Nova but when you weigh it up, they're small boxy, poorly built and slower than a fecking 1.0 Micra. It's the picture perfect love hate relationship.

Southie
24-10-17, 08:47 PM
I wonder how the thought throughout life for owning a car let’s people think you’re too old? When are you too young then to own a car?

Dod
25-10-17, 07:58 AM
I wonder how the thought throughout life for owning a car let’s people think you’re too old? When are you too young then to own a car?

I think it's more an age appropriate thing to be fair. I'm in an A4 Quattro and it seems more appropriate than a Nova and if that's the case I'm thinking, should I even own a Nova?

Shamish82
26-10-17, 07:19 PM
I last had one in 1999 am 35 now I would have another. It's the simplicity of them

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Benn
31-10-17, 04:12 PM
I think it's more an age appropriate thing to be fair. I'm in an A4 Quattro and it seems more appropriate than a Nova and if that's the case I'm thinking, should I even own a Nova?

Appropriate? Why? Does that really matter?

Dod
05-11-17, 11:09 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm being a tool but imagine going to the school to pick up 2 of your kids in a Nova.

Nova00
06-11-17, 06:45 PM
Our nova done school trip (2 kids) many 100's times. Secondary school was lot further away so annual nova mileage shot up.

I dunno, maybe I'm being a tool but imagine going to the school to pick up 2 of your kids in a Nova.

Southie
06-11-17, 09:51 PM
I’m imagining it, but I don’t have any children so they’d be happy in this world I live in lol

Ian_Gsi16v
06-11-17, 11:27 PM
It comes down to how people want to be seen. An Audi A4 is only more age appropriate because you feel that is what you want people to see you in.

I'm 35 and a Corsa B is my project / weekend car and I drive it to work all the time in the summer, couldn't really care less what people think, my wife doesn't car and thats pretty much the only opinion I would listen too.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Nova-rally
07-11-17, 10:56 AM
Too old, hmmm.
Mine is a full blown stage rally car, my other toys are a 911 and GT6.
And my age, well the Queen was still a teenager when I was born.

( Your only as old as the person your feeling )

Southie
07-11-17, 09:26 PM
Too old, hmmm.
Mine is a full blown stage rally car, my other toys are a 911 and GT6.
And my age, well the Queen was still a teenager when I was born.

( Your only as old as the person your feeling )
Nice car ownership you have, get some pictures up please ;)

Southie
07-11-17, 09:31 PM
The way I look at this is that if you enjoy a car at any age it doesn’t matter, plenty of people won’t like a car you have because they might think “well that’s a shit car” but sod them is what I say, if I had another Nova now I’d still love driving one.... plenty of wasted cash over the years has been spent for me on them but the memories I’ve had with my friends and the stories I tell won’t take that away from me ;)

i never owned a gte or gsi and to this day I’d still love one regardless of my age.... I made plenty of basic Novas quick and that was the enjoyment for me.

NovalutionGSi
08-11-17, 07:00 AM
GSi ownership isn't all it's cracked up to be. Although I owned mine for the longest out of all my Nova's, it was the lardy one of the 4, heavy doors, loads of sound deadening. But it still had that iconic badge on the side.
The current car on the other hand. Weights as much as a crisp packet and now has all the GSi roll bars on so hands has well and feels as quick (as I remember) as the GSi, just runs out of steam at about 40mph. Lol

Mike
08-11-17, 06:02 PM
It comes down to how people want to be seen. An Audi A4 is only more age appropriate because you feel that is what you want people to see you in.

I own an A4, and i can safely say the aforementioned is totally inaccurate lol been Novaless maybe 10 years now.

Ive owned A4 since i was about 27ish. I saw the light & realised small modified hatchbacks arent good for doing 25~30k miles a year in lol. I dont have the time, space or time for having 2nd cars as toys only as tools for mashing miles on now tbh.

Ian_Gsi16v
09-11-17, 01:58 PM
I own an A4, and i can safely say the aforementioned is totally inaccurate lol been Novaless maybe 10 years now.

Ive owned A4 since i was about 27ish. I saw the light & realised small modified hatchbacks arent good for doing 25~30k miles a year in lol. I dont have the time, space or time for having 2nd cars as toys only as tools for mashing miles on now tbh.The post is about being too old to own a Nova, not suitability of one based on your circumstances?

I sold mine in 2003 when I started doing 16k a year, would love to still drive one now as a weekend ride.

suzisu22
09-11-17, 10:19 PM
hello nova-rally, I will try to send you pictures of my cars!!

Andy
10-11-17, 09:22 PM
The post is about being too old to own a Nova, not suitability of one based on your circumstances?

I don’t get the whole “too old” “I should have this and that instead”
Why are people so interested in what other people think?
I honestly couldn’t care any less if I tried to about what people think of what I drive or how I drive them.
I hammer the bollocks off all of mine,always have done and always will.
Should I stop because I’m at an age where people buy something more sensible? What is sensible? I have an Astra diesel and I still hammer the balls off that when I want.
I play hard house anthems and bonkers/dizstruxshon in them too.So what? Lol
Perhaps I should buy a Passat diesel estate and listen to Dad rocks bullshit cd’s?
I don’t fucking think so

Dod
15-11-17, 10:33 PM
Well looking deeper into this I think I've just grown out of them, the reason I know this is I swapped it for an SRi Cavalier so it could be the mystery solved. Lol

paul james
16-11-17, 10:15 PM
I was being questioned as to why I'd want an old Nova over 15 years ago. Didn't care then, certainly don't now.

Benn
17-11-17, 03:42 PM
I don’t get the whole “too old” “I should have this and that instead”
Why are people so interested in what other people think?
I honestly couldn’t care any less if I tried to about what people think of what I drive or how I drive them.
I hammer the bollocks off all of mine,always have done and always will.
Should I stop because I’m at an age where people buy something more sensible? What is sensible? I have an Astra diesel and I still hammer the balls off that when I want.
I play hard house anthems and bonkers/dizstruxshon in them too.So what? Lol
Perhaps I should buy a Passat diesel estate and listen to Dad rocks bullshit cd’s?
I don’t fucking think so

Agree with everything.

Jack
17-11-17, 05:06 PM
Well looking deeper into this I think I've just grown out of them, the reason I know this is I swapped it for an SRi Cavalier so it could be the mystery solved. Lol
Should have gotten a 1.8 LX or whatever cavalier, in that nasty metallic burgundy brown colour. Proper grandad spec lol

Dave M
17-11-17, 07:56 PM
I got another one a year ago at 35, picking my restoration project number two nova this weekend ��������

Dod
05-12-17, 10:09 PM
Should have gotten a 1.8 LX or whatever cavalier, in that nasty metallic burgundy brown colour. Proper grandad spec lol

Prick. Lol

Dod
05-12-17, 10:14 PM
%5BURL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Dods1/media/Cavs/25062009001.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Dods1/Cavs/25062009001.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

Dod
05-12-17, 10:17 PM
I'm too old to post pics.....

nova_niek
06-12-17, 06:38 AM
I'm too old to post pics.....Lol
Get yourself a decent host for your pics. Photobucket sucks arse because they killed over a decade worth of forums all over the Internet. Greedy bastards.

Sent from my Nokia 6310i using the keypad

Stuart
06-12-17, 09:45 AM
There is a PB work around

nova_niek
06-12-17, 10:06 AM
There is a PB work aroundThere is a plug in for Firefox (PC browser) that circumvents the PB issue a treat. [emoji108]

Stuart
06-12-17, 10:12 AM
There is a plug in for Firefox (PC browser) that circumvents the PB issue a treat. [emoji108]

Yeah but it dosent solve the issue for "everyone" lol
We are slowly patching the more popular project and article threads, or threads where asked, so that "all" can view the pics.

Hopefully in the new year we can look at a new solution for the forum in general

nova_niek
06-12-17, 10:17 AM
Yeah but it dosent solve the issue for "everyone" lol
We are slowly patching the more popular project and article threads, or threads where asked, so that "all" can view the pics.

Hopefully in the new year we can look at a new solution for the forum in generalTop job, much appreciated.