PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade gone wrong!!!

drivebyracing
27-09-03, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you could help. Ive just fitted red dot vented an grooved discs & red dot pads to my 1.2 and to do this obviously had to put gte calipers on. The problem ive now got is that after bleeding the system numerous times very little pressure was being gained through the pedal. So because of this i put the old ones back on, thinking i needed the gte servo and master cylinder. Now however there is no pressure what so ever!! Is this definatley the master cylinder gone? and when i put the new brakes back on will i need the gte/gsi servo and master cylinder to run them because of the difference in capacity??Hope that wasnt to long and that one of you guys can help, cheers

srs1
27-09-03, 08:20 PM
i swapped the gte calipers onto my old sr and never changed the servo. i did have a complete set of sliders and the main seal to the piston. mine did the same as yours. i never put the seal on properly. you must have a leak somewhere. check the seals. dry the calipers completely then put news paper on the floor. bleed the brakes and then find where the leaks coming from. hope this helps.
sean.

rgv_stu
27-09-03, 10:35 PM
are the bleed nipples at the top of the calipers ??
you could have knackered the master cylinder tbh, they are pretty easy to destroy seals.

there is no need to change master cyl / servo when upgrading the brakes.

mark_GSi
28-09-03, 11:07 AM
id say the bleed nipples m8, i did the same thing, took me 2 days to realise LMAO!!

as for not changing the servo or master cylinder, u have to to get a decent brakes

GTE servo's are 20mm bigger than 1.2

i put 16v ATE calipers on mine with GTE master cylinder and servo, stops on a pin now

i have also used GTE calipers with a 1.2 servo and master cylinder and the brakes were crap, dangerous in fact, just could not stop.

srs1
28-09-03, 01:46 PM
i have now got combi discs from www.raldes.co.uk and braided brake lines all for under ?110. bargin. also greenstuff pads. brakes work great now.

drivebyracing
28-09-03, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all the above guys, but forgot 2 mention that i had changed the sliders, an there was no leaks. Do the bleed nipples have 2 be on top or bottom then, coz ive got them on the bottom at the mo?Oh an probably made my problem worse, i changed the master cylinder 2day an fink i ave now actually nackered the seal, an put a naff cylinder on!Gona be working on her all day 2moro i fink!!lol

Cheese
28-09-03, 10:47 PM
Bleed nipples need to be at the TOP!
If you put a new master cylinder on, avoid pressing the pedal to the floor when bleeding the brakes. Just press it half way to prevent damaging the seal..

srs1
28-09-03, 11:45 PM
you can always cheat on this one. put the whole lot back together. and as long as it'll stop you, take it to quick fits or someone simular. they do free brake checks. get them to find the prob and then repair it at home. :lol:

chappers1.3
29-09-03, 10:50 AM
I did the same thing when i put my brakes on, nipples were at the bottom!

took it to the garage coz every1 i asked was puzzled, they said it'll b the master cylinder. changed that, still no pressure. took it back and they laughed at me and said the damn calipers were on upside down and were full of air!

wont put em on wrong again though.

novax
29-09-03, 08:45 PM
hmmm, it is the air you're trying to remove. You're not alone, I even saw a pic in total Vauxhall with the caliper up side down, LOL.

drivebyracing
30-09-03, 10:19 AM
Nice one guys u were right, calipers upside down lol, do i feel like a prat!Pedal doesnt work till 1/2 way down mind, is that because of the difference in capacity of the calipers? If no1 knows not 2 worry, im happy i have brakes again!! Cheers all :lol:

novax
30-09-03, 08:18 PM
Yes, the cylinder is bigger so you'll need to push the peddle down further.