PDA

View Full Version : free photo hosting?

NovalutionGSi
30-06-17, 06:19 PM
So photobucket have decided that the free hosting for 3rd party sites is now at an end. That means that pretty much most project posts will now have no pictures.
So you can pay for it, $400! Each year... Fuck that!

So where else can we host for free?

bazzap8389
30-06-17, 06:45 PM
Saw that on my news feed this morning, fucking raging. Threads all ruined

Andy
30-06-17, 08:50 PM
Photo bucket has been a shambles for years now.Adverts and pop ups galore.
Nothing is free in this world

paul james
30-06-17, 09:13 PM
FFS how many project threads are now totally messed up, I'm assuming most of them (including mine). They might as well have just closed down entirely, as that's whats going to happen now anyway. Same thing happened with my virgin media webspace last year, taken away without a warning.
Just what the forum needed!

Andy
30-06-17, 10:49 PM
Project threads is a bit of it but all useful articles and how to guides on forums will be wiped.
May aswell just can all forums now as all archived stuff will be just words.

Stuart
30-06-17, 11:50 PM
Ffs, that's not on...
wonder if there is a PDF tool to convert a page into a file etc

ive used imagur a few times, seems good

torquey
01-07-17, 08:35 AM
That's a joke as said photobucket has been shite for years full of ads and never works properly.

EwanG
01-07-17, 09:40 AM
This is bad news. I'm on the mig welding forum and i can post pics straight from my phone with no hosting needed. Why can't we not do that on here?

Benn
01-07-17, 12:42 PM
Really? shit. I have 3 PB accounts!

totalnova
01-07-17, 04:40 PM
This will be the end of photobucket, the amount of people they will have pissed off over this must be in to the tens of millions, I can only think it's away of making some quick money before closing the whole thing down. It makes no sense.

NovalutionGSi
01-07-17, 05:08 PM
I even thought I'd send them an email, got some autobot reply to me. Might just keep replying until a human speaks to me.

They have 3 options, a $50, a $100 options which both do not allow 3rd party hosting and the $400 option that does. Clearly they are taking up too much room on the WWW!
Own goal for photobucket.

Andy
01-07-17, 10:06 PM
My guess is the good adverts have pulled the plug so they resort to underhand tactics after even the very ropey subscription/stealth subscriber sites can them too

Southie
01-07-17, 10:12 PM
When is this supposed to start then? My Photobucket still fully works??

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/Miss%20Stuart.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/SOUTHIE01/media/Miss%20Stuart.jpg.html)

Southie
01-07-17, 10:16 PM
Retro vests lol

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/bf03827f.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/SOUTHIE01/media/bf03827f.jpg.html)

bazzap8389
01-07-17, 11:20 PM
Already in force on my Photobucket. My build thread is fucked. Going to have to go through it all and re link the images with a different host.

EwanG
01-07-17, 11:27 PM
Already in force on my Photobucket. My build thread is fucked. Going to have to go through it all and re link the images with a different host.

I hope you can transfer it Baz! If it were me I would be raging if a massive build like yours got minced. Me as I am would scrap the car lollol . All the best bro :thumb:

bazzap8389
01-07-17, 11:32 PM
Haha end of the day I've still got all the pics so would just need to go through it all again unfortunately. Hey ho it's not just me in this position!

If I sign into my photofuckit account and click my links in the thread it displays my pics so Should be easy enough to put all my pics back in just time consuming.

Most annoying part about it is the lack of notice. No dander I'm going to pay like £30 a month to display some pics.

Benn
03-07-17, 12:42 PM
I have noticed a few links dont already work.... Most of mine seem to so far.

Jack
03-07-17, 11:58 PM
imgur is excellent, although it limits publicly viewable images to the 100 most recent or something.

What about google photos? Should be simple to use from a mobile too

NovalutionGSi
04-07-17, 06:29 AM
Baz, did you get a little survey come up? I had one come up about 3rd party hosting... can only think that this is something to do with it and explains why some of you are still getting to host on their site, whereas I now can't!

I'll be setting up another account on Imgur.

Southie
04-07-17, 06:36 AM
From the Photobucket site:
http://photobucket.com/terms

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).

Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:

o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.
o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.
o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

Additional Features of all Plus Accounts : When you upgrade to any Plus Account, you will also receive:

o Premium Support. You have direct access to our tech support team. Email our PLUS Support Team (pro@photobucket.com)
o No Ads: When you're logged into your Plus account, you won't see any ads on Photobucket pages (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus Accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements).

Modifying Your Plus Account : Photobucket has the right to change the limits at any time. If you are a Paying Member, you can always upgrade to a higher-level Plus Account and will have the opportunity to downgrade your service at the beginning of the next annual period anniversary following any such modifications.
Payments, Expirations, Refunds and Cancelations :

· When you subscribe to the Ad-free service or to a Plus Account, you authorize Photobucket to charge you using your selected payment method for all applicable fees. If the auto-renewal option is selected, Photobucket will automatically charge your credit card monthly or annually, as applicable, unless you notify us that you want to cancel or disable auto-renewal prior to the next renewal.
· Paying Members are responsible for providing (and updating when necessary) complete and accurate billing and contact information to Photobucket.

Paying Members can cancel at any time by contacting support@photobucket.com. If you cancel, except as provided below, you will not be charged for any future term of service, and you will continue to receive the service you purchased through the end of the paid term. Fees are non-refundable except as may be required by applicable law. In the event that Photobucket offers a monthly recurring payment option for any of its Plus Accounts, such offer requires an annual commitment that commences upon the date in which the Plus Account subscription is purchased by the Paying Member and ends on its one year anniversary (“Commitment Period”). In the event that a Member selects the monthly recurring payment option (if offered) and later terminates his/her Plus Account prior to the natural expiration of the Commitment Period, such Member shall be responsible for the immediate payment of an early termination fee equal to the product of the monthly recurring amount times the months remaining in the Commitment Period. Such payment shall be payable by the credit card or other form of payment that was used at the time of purchase. In the event that such credit card or other form of payment is no longer valid, Paying Member shall be responsible for making other payment arrangements.

· If any fee is not paid in a timely manner, or Photobucket is unable to process your transaction using the credit card information provided, Photobucket may suspend or terminate your account until such time as the applicable payment is made. At our discretion, Photobucket may also delete some or all of Your Content so as to reduce your storage space below the applicable Content Limit, which would result in the conversion of your Plus account to a free account (which is subject to the restrictions described in these Terms). In the event that Photobucket elects to seek payment of the early termination fee described above through an outside collection agency, Paying Member shall be responsible for the full cost and expense associated with such collection efforts in addition to the payment of accrued interest between the date in which Photobucket attempts to charge the early termination fee and the date in which the fee is actually paid at rate of 1.5% per month or the highest rate allowed by applicable law.
· Paying Members are responsible for all taxes. Photobucket will charge taxes when required to do so.

Stuart
04-07-17, 08:22 AM
imgur is excellent, although it limits publicly viewable images to the 100 most recent or something.

What about google photos? Should be simple to use from a mobile too

Google photos has always been a total dick to share images from :( Picasa was great though

totalnova
04-07-17, 12:17 PM
This might be a good thing in the end, photobucket is bared from a lot of work computers so if people start using other servers I might actually have something to keep me entertained at work lol

Southie
10-07-17, 01:18 PM
Well I've noticed lots of project builds are now showing the dreaded 3rd party Photobucket picture... this has to me knackered forums all over the place... sad times, maybe an end of an era.

What's every one else use then???
Imgur?

Benn
10-07-17, 02:18 PM
Just signed up to IBB. Looks like the old photobucket, its free, but has a small limit on uploads...

bazzap8389
10-07-17, 04:11 PM
I just set up an account with imgur today

Stuart
10-07-17, 06:51 PM
Ibb?

torquey
16-07-17, 10:00 PM
Anyone found a good trusted site to use?

NovalutionGSi
17-07-17, 01:38 PM
Imgur seems to be the place.

Stuart
17-07-17, 03:47 PM
Oh my... I know the PB site was awful, but this is a new level of poor.
Trying to login was a mission, now attempting to download my albums and its just doing nothing after the captcha thing and hitting download :(

Stuart
17-07-17, 03:58 PM
ahhhh ha, patience isnt a virtue I have lol

takes about 6 goes

staggy_gsi
20-07-17, 10:49 PM
Well what an absolute pain in the ass.....

good job Im hopeless at keeping a build thread anyway

Southie
21-07-17, 07:48 PM
Looks like the club member or admin working is linked to Photobucket then wtf lol it's like a virus spreading lol

My Photobucket is still working though and I've not paid, but all my folders I locked ages ago myself and I made them all private so not sure if that's a work around for it maybe.

Testing another picture:
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/shoppery/queenJACKSODY2.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/SOUTHIE01/media/shoppery/queenJACKSODY2.jpg.html)

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/shoppery/CSIPNG.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/SOUTHIE01/media/shoppery/CSIPNG.jpg.html)

Stuart
21-07-17, 09:08 PM
Ffs, bastard forum, bastard photobucket

NovalutionGSi
21-07-17, 11:37 PM
I sent them an email to complain.
Got an auto response, then out of the blue after a sent a rather unprofessional rant email back, I received another reply. This time offering me $25 off the $400 if I upgrade.
Replied telling me to stick it up their arses if they think that's good enough to tempt people in and that will be the death of them. Signed off with I'm off to another image hosting service that does let me do what I want... I'll expect a reply by Christmas!

Benn
22-07-17, 05:30 PM
Erm Avatars seem to be going too.... Or. Or not... WTF

slimtater
22-07-17, 06:38 PM
I don't use photobucket but still have the annoying message across my posts and my profile picture. Surely they can't do that?

phunkynova
24-07-17, 05:54 PM
I have just deleted all my photos and files from photowank and deleted my account. as well as letting them know what I think of them.

Stuart
25-07-17, 11:19 AM
FFS thought I'd just fixed the image in profile issue lol

Andy
25-07-17, 11:32 AM
Other forums can paste a pic direct out ya photos on your phone,is that not summat that can be done or is that a host upgrade?

Stuart
25-07-17, 11:56 AM
all sorts of updates and hosting implications for that. Not iumpossible, but wont be a fast fix.

Southie
27-07-17, 07:58 PM
postimg.org could be a free post site to try guys/gals.

Andy
27-07-17, 09:45 PM
Til it gets canned like PB
Tbh while the forum is in Neanderthalic methods of posting pics it will only have a detrimental effect on the content and usage by folk.
I can see why it's not worth the upgrade though as even when photobucket was live there was still dick all activity lol

Stuart
27-07-17, 10:59 PM
Ahh yes, wondered when we would get to talking down the forum in general :p

the pb thing has really fucked up almost every forum on the planet :(

Andy
28-07-17, 09:02 AM
Not talking down it's how it is.
Its very off putting for somebody who may be used to another forum where you can post pics straight from phones to then come on here and be faced with the laborious task of uploading to pb etc and then copy and paste on here (if you can get past the million popups)
It all contributes to less traffic
A Land Rover forum I'm on is still very very busy and their pics haven't gone missing.....

L14MNP
28-07-17, 10:22 AM
I saw the Bat Signal... lol

As the boy says, loads of other forums still have heavy traffic and host pics in 2017 in a way that wouldn't make Brunel blush. Stop being so precious, this place went down the pan, years ago.

HoTWire who owns and runs Retro Rides has found a way to show PB images again. As I am sure hwve many other places.
It has to be a worthwhile task in the first place, though. lol

total_vauxhall
29-07-17, 07:41 AM
How are people using imgur all I can get is a daft link doesnt show ?

Edd
29-07-17, 10:39 PM
Come on Boss man Stu

Get this update sorted

We like '80s cars not' 80s technology :d

Stuart
30-07-17, 08:32 AM
I wield the nazi stick, not the 1's and 0's

One also must consider that we are damned if we do and damned if we dont with the negative vibes maaaannnnn

its being looked at, but note, as ever, "we" do this for fun (not that its much fun) and it fits around our lives not the other way round, so a rapid solution might be a way off

Southie
30-07-17, 09:13 PM
Andy and Limp want the site scrapped I can see that so let's just shut down.

Andy
31-07-17, 04:47 PM
Why do you think we want it scrapped?
A bizarre comment.

Stuart
31-07-17, 06:15 PM
Ohhhhhh your relentless slating has been "bants" and we've missed that....got ya

paul james
31-07-17, 09:07 PM
Perhaps having built in forum image hosting will get the site more active again, if its as easy to post pictures as it is on facebook etc.

slimtater
31-07-17, 09:10 PM
Testing via Tapatalk https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170731/d416b094b3e4300e5f51eccd79e56f8e.jpg

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

slimtater
31-07-17, 09:13 PM
So it's a piece of piss to add via Tapatalk....

PNG lives, long live PNG! ��

Andy
31-07-17, 09:38 PM
Perhaps having built in forum image hosting will get the site more active again, if its as easy to post pictures as it is on facebook etc.
Please don't slate the site mate

Andy
31-07-17, 09:48 PM
Ohhhhhh your relentless slating has been "bants" and we've missed that....got ya
I prefer stating and it hasn't been relentless.
Why don't people come on here anymore? Iv heard a lot say about bitchiness at shows etc,Iv been to a few and actually interacted/spoke/smoke/drank with people and I never witnessed owt like that,although it was 7 years since I last went.
Id love for it to be active,it was a good site and Iv met some good lads off here and dealt with many many too.
There is members who just seemed to completely vanish without reason.....Iv heard the Facebook page is popular so the base is still out there.

Stuart
31-07-17, 10:03 PM
Bitchyness at shows? I'm a **** yes but not a bitch lol
The FB page(s) are mostly sales, like most FB groups are :( I hate trying to organise show stuff on there but sadly it's a faster audience, still like getting blood from a stone lol

NovalutionGSi
31-07-17, 11:10 PM
I do have to say, this has to be the longest thread I've started... and it's nothing to do with one of my cars....lol

FB ain't for all, I'll never use the shity thing. Plus this place can't go... we hold a slightly niche market, this place will be around until the Nova finally disappears.

total_vauxhall
31-07-17, 11:16 PM
Same I dont use facebook eather and never have .i dont like the idea of everyone knowing my buisness and loosers who dont have a clue about cars commenting on posts . so makes it very hard to find nova parts and info nowadays . This is the only car forum I use and would be shit if it were to go down hill.

NovalutionGSi
01-08-17, 06:39 PM
Then it is down to us users to stop this place going down hill.

Andy
01-08-17, 09:26 PM
Certain people have said that for long enough mate.
Stuart,is the really only you left running club things now?
Where's the rest gone?

Stuart
01-08-17, 10:13 PM
The clever fuckers have moved on with their lives.....

slimtater
02-08-17, 07:25 AM
I don't mind helping if required

Stuart
18-09-17, 05:19 PM
As a dirty temporary measure, you can use photobucket but add ~original after your .jpg url that is pasted