PDA

View Full Version : Running hot problem?

jonnyd61
12-06-17, 09:36 PM
Not long since finished my xe conversion and it seems to be running hot as in I have to have the fan on to keep it at half way all the time if the fan isnt on it seems to sit at the notch before red
iv let it bleed it's self
it's had a new thermostat and temp sensor
new radiator was advertised on eBay for 1.2 /1.4/1.6 used one before not had any probs line this
and iv double checked iv got the pipe work rite and it is ok
Any help would be great thanks

Benn
13-06-17, 12:28 PM
As much as they do self bleed, they dont really... Get it warm and let the water out. Bet its a air lock.

jonnyd61
13-06-17, 03:39 PM
will give it another go pal already cracked bottom hose off to let abit of water run out with engine running
cheers bud

torquey
13-06-17, 05:56 PM
Have you took the temp guage sender unit out the thermostat housing to let the air escape?

jonnyd61
14-06-17, 09:13 AM
No bud I haven't tryed that will do that later crack bottom hose of last nite an let it run out and keeped topping water up bt still no joy

Iain
14-06-17, 02:12 PM
Bottom hose is pointless, the air will be trapped up top somewhere. Lots of hose squeezing, run with cap off, etc. Temp sensor out is a good idea.

jonnyd61
14-06-17, 04:13 PM
Ok will try that thanks for the advice guys
is it normal for the thermostat hose to be hot and the bottom radiator hose to be luke warm/cold ?

Will F
15-06-17, 08:07 AM
No - how old is the rad?
Also check that the water is circulating properly by checking that the water is re-entering the header tank via the small inlet when revved...

kevy.m
15-06-17, 10:25 PM
Ok will try that thanks for the advice guys
is it normal for the thermostat hose to be hot and the bottom radiator hose to be luke warm/cold ?

No - how old is the rad?
Also check that the water is circulating properly by checking that the water is re-entering the header tank via the small inlet when revved...

Correct me if I'm wrong doesn't the water from the engine (hot) go through the thermostat back to the top hose on the rad
then the water gets cooled then go out the bottom hose to the water pump to get cooler water to the engine..........

So the bottom hose will always be cooler than the top

Also you could try removing the thermostat & put it in a cup an fill it with boiling water & see if it opens

Will F
16-06-17, 08:01 AM
Slightly cooler yes, but not a hot/cool difference. Especially if the gauge is saying its getting hot...

jonnyd61
19-06-17, 01:38 PM
Cheers for the help lads turned out to be a dodgy thermostat even though it was brand-new

House
19-06-17, 04:18 PM
Further to this,

I always drill a 5mm hole in thermostats to make sure any trapped air comes out the block.

We also found when on the rollers mapping my car that the water pump doesn't circulate enough on idle to move the water around the system, we had to set an idle control into the ECU to up the revs by 60-70 revs per degree over 95, so by the time it's at 105 the idle is about 1400 and this get the water pump moving more, we were finding the rad fans never turned off without this, within 2 minutes of the revs rising the fan turns off. Just a side thought.

kevy.m
19-06-17, 06:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong doesn't the water from the engine (hot) go through the thermostat back to the top hose on the rad
then the water gets cooled then go out the bottom hose to the water pump to get cooler water to the engine..........

So the bottom hose will always be cooler than the top

Also you could try removing the thermostat & put it in a cup an fill it with boiling water & see if it opens

Cheers for the help lads turned out to be a dodgy thermostat even though it was brand-new

Glad you got it solved thermo after all eh :thumb: