PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox options

Phil_d
08-04-17, 10:02 PM
Just on with getting my c16xe back on the road, keeping it standard for now but wanna start collecting bits for winter when I plan on making a few changes power wise,which also got me thinking about the gearbox, at the moment iv got the gearbox that came out of the corsa gsi believe it's the f15, done a little bit of research and I believe the final drive is a bit of a pain to change compared to the f13, I want better acceleration but still want to be able to take it down the motorway, anyone had any experience with this ? Would I be better changing to a f13 box with a 4.18 final drive or will that compromise tip end too much any advise would be greatly appreciated cheers

Stuart
08-04-17, 10:37 PM
The f13 cr box with a 4.18 fd will do around 125 at most limiters with 15" wheels here will some mild error in there but that's the rough figures.

so not hugely compromised for motorway use imho (no worse than my fecking Abarth 500 that does 3k at 70.... tedious

Phil_d
09-04-17, 09:25 AM
That's pretty much what I wanted to know, gonna be used locally and for the odd thrash on a weekend down the a64 to Scarborough so doubt IL be seeing 125, just didn't wanna be doing 70 at close to the limiter, cheers for the help

Iain
10-04-17, 09:34 AM
My F20 with 4.2 final drive was awful on the road. That did a similar top speed at the rev limiter, maybe a bit lower, but any motorway or dual carriageway would have to sit at 60.

It's not a trivial task to change out the final drive at all either.

Test your current box on the road, test what rpm you are happy with cruising at 70-80, and plug the numbers into a calculator to see what you can get away with.

Phil_d
14-04-17, 09:06 PM
Iv got a f13 wr box with a 4.18 final drive ratio, stands me at pretty much nothing :) so could I just get hold of a close ratio f13 change the final drive and swap out 5th aswell? Suppose a lot of what I'm trying to achieve is also down to personal preference, might be just a case of trial and error, cheers for the help guys much appreciated