PDA

View Full Version : 16 inch speedlines on mk1 .... arch mods needed ??? Help

SRsam
05-04-17, 10:40 PM
Hi I'm currently restoring a mk1 sr it came with 16 inch speedlines . And fancy putting them back on or certainly been able to have the choice of them and the original wheels .
I've welded new inner and outer arches in then I've tried a speedline on for fit and had to grind loads of the new lip on the arch away however where do you stop cutting back as I'm not sure how far they are going to go up when hitting potholes etc..
Can I fit shortened shocks some type of bump stop ? I think it will be lowered by 40 mm
Anyone got any pics of there arches /arch mods or info it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance sam

Will F
06-04-17, 09:01 AM
Shouldn't need to trim that much off!
195 40 tyres are best too...

torquey
06-04-17, 12:34 PM
Should of folded the arch back until it cleared. If you have cut them you will havt to make sure they are well sealed up as water will get in and rot them out.

SRsam
06-04-17, 04:24 PM
Should of folded the arch back until it cleared. If you have cut them you will havt to make sure they are well sealed up as water will get in and rot them out.

Cheers guys . I didn't want to fold them as it is a trap for debris water etc. So I cut them . The cars not painted yet it's bare metal so will be getting 121 mastic and some upol raptor on . I just wanted to do all cutting /grinding first before painting. At the back there about 12 mm left on lip of arch it just clears but was thinking of getting slightly smaller tyres width wise so they are a bit of a stretch fit that way they will easy clear .

torquey
06-04-17, 05:30 PM
I've just done my arches inner and outer and folded slightly up to clear tyres. Just made sure they are plenty sealed up.