PDA

View Full Version : Column bush

millworm
15-02-17, 01:11 AM
While mutilating my old pedal box to remove it from the car I noticed the rather old rubber steering column bushing looked like it'd seen better days. Does anyone know if there is a solid version avaliable? I know it's a big thing in drift cars to tighten up steering responce ect. And it'd wouldn't be a big deal to make either especially if I had a lathe. Witch I don't...

Iain
15-02-17, 07:51 AM
I'm going to guess you were removing a standard pedal box and not a floor mounted one, so you're working in the engine bay and mean the rack, since there is no rubber in the column except the UJ.

FloFlex do poly bushes, which are probably some of their only bushes worth bothering with as the quality isn't that good. Probably about £12

ProTec, HHMS, etc have solid rack mounts which use ally and sometimes a sliver of plastic. Probably about £55

Apologies if I've gone off on a tangent to what you're talking about!

millworm
15-02-17, 01:10 PM
My rack is poly bushed with a corsa clamp. I am indeed talking about the uj

Iain
15-02-17, 01:16 PM
Way off then lol

I've never seen one perish, so a standard replacement should be fine. There's nothing off the shelf unless you want to weld something together, but I wouldn't fancy playing with it.

millworm
15-02-17, 03:27 PM
It's still got years left in it but seeing as I'm there I want to make something up. Will see about getting a solid part made

Iain
16-02-17, 08:37 AM
Corsa B (EPAS columns, so I would assume non EPAS too) have a collapsible double UJ that may be able to be shortened to fit.

8valve-craig
16-02-17, 09:01 AM
I think if you are messing about with the column fix it properly. Straighten it, move it to the right and fit the metal UJ's as Ian says from the Corsa.

I just binned the lot and fitted a Mk2 Clio column in mine.

millworm
16-02-17, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a plan, not not sure If I wanna redesign the column just yet. Will let you know how I get on