PDA

View Full Version : Shaving my bush/gaining castor

brucer
06-02-17, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm wanting to gain some castor as when I last checked on the hawk eye at work it was almost 0degrees, ok the car was quite low and not how I would use it for any race type events. Plans are to raise it a half inch and recheck my geometry anyway.

So, if I shaved some off the poly bush between the tie bar to front cross member bracket, will this be sufficient to pull the lower arm forward a bit and gain that important castor?

thanks

brucer

Stuart
06-02-17, 08:54 PM
TBH I can't see taking much off the bush will gain you much castor.

i mean, give it a go by all means but you might have to accept scrapping the bushes and just getting spherical bearing mounts

Iain
06-02-17, 09:06 PM
Spherical front brackets won't give you any more adjustment by themselves mind you'd need a full kit.

Reweld a new bracket further forward, or machine some off the tiebar itself.

Anything serious you take off on the tiebar side will put extra strain on the bottom arm bush.

brucer
07-02-17, 12:47 PM
I'll raise it up and then check what castor I have, it should be 0deg45mins to 2deg45mins tolerance. Mines currently 11 and 13mins, so pretty much fxck all.

Benn
07-02-17, 12:53 PM
Machine the tie bar down and re cut thread. That's how most people do it.

brucer
08-02-17, 01:04 PM
So, the back half of the bush is roughly 18mm thick, the widest part that the tie bar pushes against is 6mm thick.

I've take this down to 4mm, and taken 1mm off the face of the bush that sits in the centre of the mount bracket, this wasn't even sit in as far as it should have been. The bush is now 15mm thick.

The bush pin has also been molested down to size.

It's not a great deal but it should be a smidgeon of a gain. Pics to follow when I cba.