PDA

View Full Version : Twin reverse wiring set up

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
03-02-17, 12:54 PM
Ladies and gents quick question how would I go about wiring a second reverse light up for the nova using the euro rear lights? Unfortuantly my volt metre isn't working so I'm having to have to go into this moreless blind! Any info would be a great help thanks :thumb:

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
04-02-17, 02:35 AM
Anyone?

brainsnova
04-02-17, 04:26 AM
Run a wire from the original reverse to the foglight connection and cut and insulate the foglight wire so when the fog switch it on it won't light the reverse

NovalutionGSi
04-02-17, 11:42 AM
Run a wire from the original reverse to the foglight connection and cut and insulate the foglight wire so when the fog switch it on it won't light the reverse

Or you could have dual purpose lights.... working of the reverse and fog light switch. Or be even more clever and stick a diode in so when the fog light switch is pressed only the 1 light works but when the reverse is on then both work.

I think you will need to get your multimeter working though to find the right cable to link across.

brainsnova
04-02-17, 07:57 PM
Or you could have dual purpose lights.... working of the reverse and fog light switch. Or be even more clever and stick a diode in so when the fog light switch is pressed only the 1 light works but when the reverse is on then both work.

I think you will need to get your multimeter working though to find the right cable to link across.

how do you make a clear bulb go red?

total_vauxhall
04-02-17, 08:56 PM
Diode
If not u will have to fit a separate fog light anyway to bumper or something for MOT .I always used the twin fog lights don't need rev light for mot

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
05-02-17, 12:15 AM
Cheers lads managed to source it :) as above just need to mount a small fog light for mot purposes now as I'm quite liking the twin reverse mod, definantly a cool little feature to have on a nova :thumb:

NovalutionGSi
05-02-17, 12:18 AM
how do you make a clear bulb go red?

Paint it.... or magic... I missed the point I know...

plus as a technicality point, you can still pass an Mot with a red reverse light, mine is a twin fog Euro rear but still wired as UK spec so the left fog is the reverse. Maybe I'll take my advice and rewire mine...

Jack
05-02-17, 11:01 PM
Reverse light isn't part of the MOT check so won't fail for being red iirc.

If you have twin reverse clusters, there's no excuse not to have dual reverse and fogs, like this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/Project%20Ghey/16012010427.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/Project%20Ghey/16012010426.jpg

:cool:

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
05-02-17, 11:33 PM
Sorry lads am I missing something or plain stupid but how do you go about having the best of both worlds with twin reverse and a fog lamp all in one, that looks spot on to how I wanted to do mine Jack but didn't know how to get around that so was going to attatch a seperate fog lamp to the bumper of the nova

Jack
06-02-17, 09:51 PM
Two ways you can do it - the billy bob basic way, which I did lol is to cut a couple of holes in each reverse light and add a pair of 501 bulbs in each, wire them into the reverse feed, then put red LED bulbs in the main holder and wire them into the fog feed.

The other way would be to use a red switchback LED, but you either need to mod the housing to accept a dual filament 1157 bulb or bodge the wiring for a single filament 1156 bulb.

Unfortunately I got rid of my Nova haynes manuals long ago so can't advise how to wire them up any more :(

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
06-02-17, 10:39 PM
Two ways you can do it - the billy bob basic way, which I did lol is to cut a couple of holes in each reverse light and add a pair of 501 bulbs in each, wire them into the reverse feed, then put red LED bulbs in the main holder and wire them into the fog feed.

The other way would be to use a red switchback LED, but you either need to mod the housing to accept a dual filament 1157 bulb or bodge the wiring for a single filament 1156 bulb.

Unfortunately I got rid of my Nova haynes manuals long ago so can't advise how to wire them up any more :(

Ah crud would love to know how to wire them up, I'm seriously not electrical minded and knowing my luck I'd either blow something up or blow myself up lol lol lol

brainsnova
06-02-17, 10:50 PM
All you really need to do is take the foglight wire to the original reverse side and the reverse to original foglight so that's 2 wires linking both lights. Then get 501 bulb holders and bulbs and use these for the reverse and crimp or solder the wires on