PDA

View Full Version : Help with rear brakes.

moffat sri
26-09-03, 08:00 PM
I have put new brake shoes on ma car today, but while the drums were off i was lookin at them wonderin if i should put new ones on cos they're a little bit scored. Anyone know how much new drums are for Novas? ('92 SRI)

Also i've had a bit of trouble with the handbrake cable sticking in the runner on the axle on the off side.
When i put the handbrake on, then release it, the cable does move back but not enough and the drum is still tight. not locked but hard to turn.
Though all it takes is a slight touch of the cable and it's freed again.
I've squirted it with WD40 type of stuff, then put some oil in it but it still seems a little tight. How can i resolve this problem?

Cheers

ade
27-09-03, 06:47 PM
ref drums, unsure - could be about ?40 each maybe (depends if GM or not)

As for sticking handbrake cable, have you replaced the cable? If not its probably kinked through age in the little holder thats on the axle to the front of the rear wheel (where it comes from the back of the drum). This will prevent the cable from springing back past the kink - may need replacing. Failing that rub lots of LM greese inot the holder. Failing that check the spring in the drum is ok - if you replaced your shoes you should have used new springs (they come in a spring kit).

Failing that it could be the centre yolk needs adjusting in the middle of the axle. If its a mk1 theres manual adjusters on the back of the drum.

if non of them - dunno - sorry...

epo
27-09-03, 06:58 PM
my hand brake cable decided 2 stick while i was doin 80 down the m180
as a result the whole car stunk of burnt paint and i had a brown rear drum and a hot alloy it had just got gunked up me dad freed it off me and used copper greece on it

moffat sri
27-09-03, 07:35 PM
I dint get new springs in the kit, only the shoes.
i might get a sptring kit like. it's not like they're hard to do. I've got nowt else to do cos i'm temporarily out of work and i've got plenty free time.
Might get new drums, cable and spring kit.

drms will probably be just from mintex, along with the others. the shoes were only ?13.
I'll enquire on monday

mikeoxford
27-09-03, 11:29 PM
i only got shoes. (not springs etc)

2litreturbo
28-09-03, 07:48 PM
i've got trade membership at Maccess, and i got two new rear drums, a set of rear pads, two rear fitting kits, two front Astra GTE vented discs and pads all for only ?34.

I also got a starter motor brand new for ?15, outer cv joints, 3.99, etc etc etc

2litreturbo
28-09-03, 07:48 PM
i've got trade membership at Maccess, and i got two new rear drums, a set of rear pads, two rear fitting kits, two front Astra GTE vented discs and pads all for only ?34.

I also got a starter motor brand new for ?15, outer cv joints, 3.99, etc etc etc

If anyone is close to me (brentwood essex) and they need parts i will be happy to get them for a drink

Novas.5u.com-Chris
01-10-03, 10:07 PM
The best way to stop it seizing in the clips on the axel is to slacken the handbrake adjustment right off, use a screwdriver to lever the cable out of the clip (you dont have to remove it from the shoe) and then put loads of penetrating oil of wd40 on the clip and wire brush them out. Make sure you do it loads cos they get well blocked up with shite off the roads.
Mine did the same just after Id fitted new shoes and cleaned the clips, I just hadnt cleaned them enough!!
Dunno how much the drums will cost but remember you will ahve to swap over or fit new rear wheel bearings if you fit new drums. Wheel bearing are about ?40 from vauxhall I think!?