PDA

View Full Version : rose jointed bottom arms help

greene94
19-12-16, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking of rose jointing my rally nova can you modify the standard bottom arms seen a couple of pictures has anyone any detailed pictures of how to do it or could send me a link to someone that's done it. Any help give will be greatly appreciated

Iain
19-12-16, 12:00 PM
What do you plan on doing with the tie bar? Machine some off and run spacers to set up castor?

By the time you've replaced the tie bar with a custom adjustable one, and maybe modified the tiebar brackets to suit, and then modified the standard thin metal bottom arm I suspect you won't be gaining much over starting again.

greene94
19-12-16, 03:59 PM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vauxhall+nova+rose+jointed+arm&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7gfqaz4DRAhXLIcAKHURIAmEQsAQICw#mhpiv= 15I was thinking of rose jointing the bottom arm the one with the ball joint.

greene94
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vauxhall+nova+rose+jointed+arm&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7gfqaz4DRAhXLIcAKHURIAmEQsAQICw#mhpiv= 15

greene94
That's a picture of what I'm thinking

Iain
20-12-16, 08:34 AM
What are you trying to achieve? One of the main benefits of rosejointing that one is to adjust the caster on the tiebar without twisting the bottom bush.

greene94
20-12-16, 01:31 PM
That's what I'm trying to do everything else is rose jointed like the brackets for the tie arms and it would probably benefit me if I would want to adjust my camber too I have the wheels pulled forward at the minute and as you said I think it is stressing my bottom bushes

Iain
21-12-16, 08:32 AM
Ah got you... You've had the tiebars machined shorter?

It should just be a case of getting a decent sized (e.g. M12, 1/2") male rosejoint, lopping the arm off and welding in a threaded insert and bracing it sufficiently.

greene94
21-12-16, 10:07 AM
Would you have a link to anyone that has done it ? I've seen one and it looks like the male rose joint comes out at a real big angle compared to the normal one. I would just like a couple of detailed pics to see what is all required. Thanks for the help so far sorry it took me so long to explain what I was looking to do lol

Iain
22-12-16, 08:58 AM
Here's some

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?161860-Rose-jonited-bottom-arms

greene94
22-12-16, 09:45 AM
Is there any reason that the rose joint isn't in the middle of the arm ? or is it to stop it hitting the body ? Have you any pics of them before the were finished like when they were cut and what way you worked the plate ?. Is there any reason that they use left hand rose joints ?
Thanks for the help so far ��

Iain
23-12-16, 11:00 PM
I suspect the threaded insert isn't in the middle in order to get the right angle but also keep it fully inside the arm walls. If you put it in the middle it'd be hitting the side or protruding.

I think you need to order some RJs, line them up under the standard arm and decide where to cut to give you some good adjustment on the RJ. There's no tried and tested way. Box the threads in with 3mm sheet and finish with an arm strengthening plate underneath.

One RH and one LH would be nice, but either way youll need to remove the tiebar, balljoint or RJ to adjust the camber so doubt it matters.

FYI pukka aftermarket gear is available for £550ish giving full adjustment off the shelf

novarally
24-12-16, 07:37 PM
Have a look at superfwd.com for off the shelf items

greene94
24-12-16, 08:03 PM
Had a look at super fwd and its alot of money does compbrake do a rose joint kit for bottom arms ? Or if I could get a detailed picture of one or how its done I could get a engineer to make me some.

Iain
24-12-16, 08:22 PM
I'm sure if you took a standard pair and a pair to cut about they could mount the RJ to match the existing bush location. Then it's just working out some tapered spacers.

£550 isn't bad for it all bolt-in off the shelf. I can put you in contact with the guy who made mine if you PM me :)

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP2b/318.JPG