PDA

View Full Version : Astra MK4 oil?

wwmnw
02-12-16, 09:10 PM
Depending where I look I'm getting 5W-40 to 15W-40 its a MK4 (W reg) 1.6 8v, am I right in thinking the first number is to do with cold weather?

Southie
02-12-16, 09:42 PM
Have a read of this ;)
http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm

millworm
03-12-16, 01:15 AM
Yeah, hence the w. W=winter

millworm
03-12-16, 01:16 AM
Just stick 10/40 in, she'll love it

Stuart
03-12-16, 08:40 AM
Nothing to do with winter persay. It's just the cold vs hot viscosity.

any old shite will do in that

Andy
03-12-16, 09:06 AM
Nobody uses google or search anymore.

Stuart
03-12-16, 09:12 AM
Tbh I'm amazed it wasn't asked on Fb lol

Benn
03-12-16, 10:09 AM
http://www.mpmoil.nl/

Bang your reg in here... What i use at my work..

L14MNP
03-12-16, 05:35 PM

This.
It would be lucky to even see an oil change in my ownership.

wwmnw
05-12-16, 05:07 PM
Have a read of this ;)
http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm

Thank you

Yeah, hence the w. W=winter

Just stick 10/40 in, she'll love it
I think I put 10/40 in before but I see a few different reccomendations

Nothing to do with winter persay. It's just the cold vs hot viscosity.

I understand!

Nobody uses google or search anymore.
I appreciate your well thought out and helpful input, in future I wont do that either!

http://www.mpmoil.nl/

Bang your reg in here... What i use at my work..
Cheers Bennnnnnnn

This.
It would be lucky to even see an oil change in my ownership.

Mayo round the cap, not using any water and temp gauge never rises, there are two pipes missing (I'm assuming they're vacuum pipes one goes to the back of the airbox on top of the throttle body and another one goes from the throttle body to somewhere I cant remember) so I'm assuming its condensation causing it and I'm not sure what the worst thing to happen could be so will just flush it change it and replace the pipes.

Stuart
05-12-16, 05:15 PM
My MK4 would only raise its temp in traffic and when moving would drop like a stone... Thats a shagged thermostat for you :)

And if its only done short miles, then yeah mayo is likely to be condensation. Our 500 is awful for it, but a decent run for 30-45mins clears it right up

Andy
05-12-16, 05:35 PM
They all do that on them vaux engines,just need to rev the bollocks off it

wwmnw
05-12-16, 05:37 PM
My MK4 would only raise its temp in traffic and when moving would drop like a stone... Thats a shagged thermostat for you :)

And if its only done short miles, then yeah mayo is likely to be condensation. Our 500 is awful for it, but a decent run for 30-45mins clears it right up

Yeah mine does exactly the same thing, thought it might be thermostat but apparently the timing belt has to come off to change them on these (1.6 8v) work is only 10 miles each way and takes about 20 minutes but my girlfriend lives 30mins - 1hr away depending on traffic/20 miles.

Might take it down the A1 a few junctions for a good run out.

wwmnw
05-12-16, 05:38 PM
They all do that on them vaux engines,just need to rev the bollocks off it

I deffinetly don't drive it hard enough lol its not fast or fun enough to bother lol

Stuart
05-12-16, 05:51 PM
Mk4 is one of the best gm chassissssss I've driven lol

Andy
05-12-16, 05:56 PM
I'd agree with that.my Sri astra was a good car,quick for a 1.8 and handled well.my mk5 1.3 Cdti is horrendous in comparison.Its only plus being its awesome on diesel.
A skag needles worth will get you to work and back for a week lol

wwmnw
05-12-16, 09:49 PM
This has had new suspension at some point and it does handle well, the only things that annoy me are due to the 1 split and 1 missing pipe it judders on deceleration, I've been in a scrappy looking for pipes off other mk4's but I cant find one with the same engine as mine :( it does about 250 miles to £30 which is OK so I suppose its not a bad car for 106K miles, just the thermostat issue an oil leak (common I know, think its the cam shaft seal) and possibly an ICV and it'll be right, brakes and clutch will need doing at some point in the new year too but that's standard maintenance.

Stuart
05-12-16, 10:43 PM
Iirc the 1.6 8v mk4 was rare as feck lol

Andy
05-12-16, 10:57 PM
No there was quite a few Stuart
no sympathy regarding the bad running,I gave you chance to have them bits for nowt and you were too bone idle to take pics to show me what you needed lol

wwmnw
05-12-16, 11:00 PM
I think there are two versions of the 8 valve with different power outputs, mine has 75bhp and I'm sure theres one thats something like 90bhp

Andy
06-12-16, 04:30 PM
Z16se
x16szr or summat.the latter is the slower one.
z16se isn't too bad but it's pathetic soft cut limiter is less than crowd pleasing.

Stuart
06-12-16, 04:41 PM
Ahh, I thought the 8V was a really low volume run since they had the better 1.6 16V engine available etc

wwmnw
06-12-16, 09:26 PM
Mine must be the x16szr as its slow but I haven't found the limiter yet and last time I tried I got to just under 6K lol

marc69
07-12-16, 06:53 PM
If the thermostat is the same idea as the 1.2 spi Novas where the cambelt and back plate, pulley etc have to come off to change the thermostat (great piece of design).

I firstly put card in front of the radiator as a temporary measure. temporary measure two was to remove the outer cover and I removed the belt, cut enough of the back plate off to get at the thermostat pikey solution.

Actual long term solution......next cambelt change in decent weather, I removed the belt and pulley, then backplate and cut the same hole that the earlier Novas had in them to access the thermostat on a replacement backplate.

wwmnw
07-12-16, 08:25 PM
If the thermostat is the same idea as the 1.2 spi Novas where the cambelt and back plate, pulley etc have to come off to change the thermostat (great piece of design).

I firstly put card in front of the radiator as a temporary measure. temporary measure two was to remove the outer cover and I removed the belt, cut enough of the back plate off to get at the thermostat pikey solution.

Actual long term solution......next cambelt change in decent weather, I removed the belt and pulley, then backplate and cut the same hole that the earlier Novas had in them to access the thermostat on a replacement backplate.

Ahh its also behind the backplate? Well thats a bugger! I'd never physically looked or searched online about its location, I also didn't think the fan came in and kept turning the hot air on when it got close to 90 degrees sat in traffic but it turns out the fan comes in higher than I'm used to lol

I read up about the card idea, I'll keep that in mind, whats the worst case scenario with the thermostat not working?

marc69
07-12-16, 08:28 PM
I don't know if your astra is the same as the spi Novas but probably is a similar set up. If the thermostat isn'tclosing, the car will stay cold all the time, use too much fuel etc, if it is overheating (not opening) then that can cause engine damage obviously. For the card, just wedge it in front of the radiator so the air doen't get to it. (obviously clear of any wire/electricals!)

wwmnw
07-12-16, 08:48 PM
Well I'm averaging 38 mpg which is the book figure, ffs might have to look at getting the thermostat replaced in the new year. Cheers Marc