PDA

View Full Version : Boot Flush (Stick on) Panel?

Will_Nova1.2i
26-09-03, 03:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2434124971&category=23012

Anyone actually brought/tried fitting one yet? Seem to be alot around being sold cheap, but how do they look compared to the real thing?

Any Pics?

Cheers

Will :lol:

Will
26-09-03, 03:11 PM
wait for fester to explain and post pics he will put u off

IMO nothing like the real think

might look it from a distance but when u get close u can see the joins of the panel round the ages unless u spend ages making it fit well, also push the panel when its done and it will be flexible very flimsy etc, proper flush boots are solid

on a plus point the panels are light weight tho.............

not really a big fan of the panels but they are cheap now.....

Will_Nova1.2i
26-09-03, 03:15 PM
cool, wouldn't like it bending, wouldnt that fuck up the paint work!!!??? seems like a good idea though.

DazK
26-09-03, 04:10 PM
yeah its a good idea

if ur on a tight budget then its a cheap alternative...

but yeah it will flex with little pressure , the overall fitment looks pretty shoddy , plus iv noticed there not completly flat! , they seem to be slightly curved :roll:

i think ill stick to my welded flush tailgate :P

customnova
26-09-03, 06:38 PM
daz is right, in the dark with headlights on it it looks like it is bending, ive got one, not very good, i advice getting it done properly but as was said, tight budget, not the worst thing in the world

Fester
26-09-03, 06:59 PM
boink ill try and find my post but i suspect its long gone in the depths of general chat

you could

a) buy it, stick it on and look alright from couple of dozen yards or

b) buy it, decide you want it to look ok then commence chopping the fuck and orbital sanding the fuck out of the edges (i dont know how the finished article will look, but im on a mission to make a point with this now)

c) sack it off

festie :)

geordie_racer
26-09-03, 07:29 PM
make ur own plate thats what i did. went to bnq got a sheet of acryllic and used that. the acrillic is very sturdy so doesnt flex against the metal. as for blending it in yes its a right ball ache but no more than making a welded one look pro aswell and u dont have to piss about blending weld lines. if you feel confident with fibrglass and filler then give it a go at most you'll b ?20 and a bit of filler worse off and will have learnt from the experience.

quick tip mix fibreglass and filler together to make a pliable solid material to feather the edges with also helps prevent cracking aswell coz the filler has more strength to it

chris

Gazza14SR
27-09-03, 12:02 AM
ive got the smooth panel and im pleased with it.

once it was fitted correctly, i drilled a hole in the bottom of it and put some expanding foam in the recess. It hardend and now looks fine and feels strong, doesnt look like its bent either.

dave.gsi
27-09-03, 12:19 AM
to stop it bending why dont u just reinforce the back with a few more layers of fibreglass mat?? when i made my bumper on my old sr i used about seven layers of fibreglass and it was rock solid, it wasn't moving for anyone. so say they manufacture it with five layers you only have to add another two before its solid.

heres a pic of my bumper........

http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/448big.jpg

Mark
27-09-03, 11:17 AM
Holy shit Dave - you made that?

What happened to it?

Still got it?

pickle
27-09-03, 12:19 PM
link abou it for a mnute lads....... STICK ON. would any respectable modder buy something that sticks on........( then blows off) i mean would u buy a stick on scooby vent or a stick on wheel trims............

Gazza14SR
27-09-03, 12:47 PM
even though it 'sticks on' it fits under and around the window rubber so theres no chance of it coming off

geordie_racer
27-09-03, 01:07 PM
so pickle in your theory, the following shouldnt be put on cars coz there stuck in some way,

sideskirts, (usually bonded with sikaflex sp?)
spoilers, (as above)
bumpers arent exactly the most secure things the world bein held on by 4 rusty bolts and usually made from poor quality fibreglass

so where were we about not sticking things on?

and as for vents some people do by stick on vents but there usually screwed in aswell and fettled with fibreglass/filler so they blend in and are secure.

so if ou can use sikalfex sp? to attach spoilers and sideskirts why cant you stick on a panel to the boot which in turn is then mostly fibreglassed over/arounnd anyway

not having a go but just pointing out the flaws in your point

chris

Fester
27-09-03, 02:18 PM
They are quite thick I couldnt really see it flexing, as it is supported at the bottom of the recess, but i'll be putting expanding foam in as well

Mine will no longer fit underneath the rubber, if i put the bit thats supposed to go under the rubber in place it pulled the bottom up by about half a centimeter and didnt match up at the edges, so I cut the that top edge off and am now making it flat so it stops (hopefully) underneath the rubber, but quite flat against the tailgate (sanding it down thin) to try and make it not noticeable

Im also gonna cut down the square edge pieces so that the bottom of the wraparound is at the edges like normal and not the fibreglass

Interesting mixing the fibreglass resin and the filler for feathering in the edges? Whats the process with this?

Also the back of the tailgate isnt actually flat anyway if you do a welded smooth boot you would have to build up the middle to keep in line with the curve?

pickle
27-09-03, 02:44 PM
GERDIE ALL THE THINGS U MENTIONED ARE NT just STUCK ON THEY ARE BOLTED ON TOO, SPOILERS BUMPER AND ALSO SIDE SKIRTS. IM NOT TAKING THE PISS OUTA THE STICK ON FLUSH TAILGATES BECAUSE I AINT SEEN THEM IN REAL LIFE BUT I DONT TRUT THEM. WOULD RATER WELD.

Freak
27-09-03, 04:03 PM
link abou it for a mnute lads....... STICK ON. would any respectable modder buy something that sticks on........( then blows off) i mean would u buy a stick on scooby vent or a stick on wheel trims............

*Points and sniggers at John Hilton......*

lol

What was that flying over my roof.....oh .....my vent.... :lol: :D

ade
27-09-03, 07:09 PM
the ones I've seen look ok from a distance but after consideration theres alot of work to fit to make look excellent.

I like the idea of a a single strip of acrylic across the lower half on the hatch. All that needsa to be done is for the top edge to be angled and smoothed to follow the line of the hatch and smooth the sides. Back fill the recess with foam or similar expanding material (blue or bink styrofoam is very light and extremely tough!) - alternatively you make a styrofoam shape to fit the recess, top with acrylic and blend into the recess only!

There are ways and means of doing it easily - but a welded panel is the strongest (if not the most expensive)

Ade

ade
27-09-03, 07:09 PM
the ones I've seen look ok from a distance but after consideration theres alot of work to fit to make look excellent.

I like the idea of a a single strip of acrylic across the lower half on the hatch. All that needsa to be done is for the top edge to be angled and smoothed to follow the line of the hatch and smooth the sides. Back fill the recess with foam or similar expanding material (blue or pink styrofoam is very light and extremely tough!) - alternatively you make a styrofoam shape to fit the recess, top with acrylic and blend into the recess only!

There are ways and means of doing it easily - but a welded panel is the strongest (if not the most expensive)

Ade

5_door owner
27-09-03, 08:40 PM
why doesnt a company make a tailgate skin with the flush look that carries on around the top as well

surely this could be done as they have done bad boy bonnet skins

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

dave.gsi
27-09-03, 10:29 PM
Holy s**t Dave - you made that?

What happened to it?

Still got it?

lol, yeah i made that. i have some talents you know lol

at the moment my old uni teacher has it clutering up his workshop(it was a final year uni project)i think he's planning on taking it around some design and technology shows this year.

when i find myself a real job and stop being a bum i'm planning on building a full custom bodykitted nova. just need the money to buy a second car and the time to work on it

Denya
28-09-03, 04:39 PM
if you use one of them bodge boot kits where do u move your looks to?

Fester
28-09-03, 04:46 PM
you dont have a lock or wiper (but why would you leave them on anyway?) the boot just stays permanently unlocked with the only legitamate, law abiding for non-baghead way of opening it is a solenoid on the inside activated by a switch on the dashboard

Paul
28-09-03, 11:58 PM
or a piece of wire. lol

Alex
29-09-03, 12:06 AM
if you use one of them bodge boot kits where do u move your looks to?
there not really bodge kits, unless you fit them badly

Fester
29-09-03, 01:29 PM
lol paul im well accustomed to the 'ways of the wire' amazing how you can go without a boot basically 99% of the time!

dave.gsi
29-09-03, 11:01 PM
wheres the best place to buy the panels from now? i remember ebay were selling them cheap and then supernovas lowered their price but they are back at ?75(i think) now.

Gazza14SR
30-09-03, 12:33 AM
i got mine of ebay. A chap called PaulLee, since then had some other stuff off him too hes a sound chap.

There is an option to bid or a 'buy it now' for about 50 i think. 10pound P+P also i think.

Got mine for 29 after winning the bid which i think was a bargain. Seen afew on there which have gone up to about 60 though so i guess i got mine at the right time :)