PDA

View Full Version : Lowering, the cheapest way???

Will_Nova1.2i
26-09-03, 10:31 AM
I am going to be lowering my standard 1.2i luxe+ soon and was looking around ebay and found these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2433212697&category=40192

If I got these, would I need anything else or could I just replace the standard springs? The ones on ebay are only -35mm but I have seen others of the same make which are -60mm.

Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Will :wink:

srs1
26-09-03, 10:35 AM
you wont need anything else to lower it. just make sure that your wheels have the off set. otherwise they scrub your arch's. if your going for the 60mm drop you will prob need to get your arch's rolled. and pos new shorter shocks

Will
26-09-03, 10:49 AM
2 options

buy 60mm springs for ?70 and fit done

take ur springs and chop a load of coils off to make it 60mm done

p.s. i wudnt do the 2nd option but its up to you, its not the safest idea but ur car will be lowwww :lol: :lol:

Will_Nova1.2i
26-09-03, 10:53 AM
ohh right cool, i currently hav the standard 14 " luxe alloys on mine, not sure if I would need to roll the arches then?

how can I find out the offset?

by the way, i also have a 5door nova, would this make any difference cos i'm pretty sure a mate told me that you can have bigger wheels ect on 5 doors cos the arches are bigger/different shape?

Cheers!!!!!! :D

Will

Will
26-09-03, 10:57 AM
you got 2 many doors there mate ;) just kidding

yes u can fit bigger wheels with no probs

u will not need to roll the arches for ue wheels u got now they are the right offset.

60mm will be fine and if u stick to ET45 you should be able to put on 16s and 17s with no arch mods IMO :D

Will_Nova1.2i
26-09-03, 11:05 AM
Nice one!!! Thanks for that, shows that 5doors are better in some ways!!! :lol:

How easy is it to fit lowering springs, i have a couple of mates and his dad that know a bit about cars that would help but do you need any special tools? :?

Thanks again!

Will
26-09-03, 11:09 AM
socket set, jack, axel stands, WD40, patience, few other tools inc swank neck 19" spanner i think thats the size,

spring compressors for front if u can be arsed, dont really dont to tho if ur careful

will take a few hrs to get your head round it and save u a lot of money its not hard :)

Will_Nova1.2i
26-09-03, 11:13 AM
cool ok, might have a go but think some bloke i know at a dodge garage near me will do it for a 20 quid cash in hand, would probably spend more on tools ect!

Thanks for the help novanutter! :D

Will

ade
26-09-03, 11:39 AM
do it properly - get a suspension kit - gmax are only ?195 from supernovas

trust me you are better doing this because using standard springs etc knackers the shocks and using short shocks and standard sprints is insane because theyre much longer than usual - and cutting them down is dangerous because the spring wasnt designed to be cut.

also the handling will be far superior

Will_Nova1.2i
26-09-03, 12:09 PM
Ohh right, has anyone here tried just buying the springs and sticking them in with the standard shocks and had problems then?

195 quid is quite alot of money for my crappy old nova!!!! :?

Cheers

Will :lol:

MattyWoo
26-09-03, 12:53 PM
mine is running on standard shocks and springs, has been for 6 months or so, its fucking awful though!!! really shitty ride, makes driving rubbish instead of fun!!

wisewood
26-09-03, 01:09 PM
lmfao - what no plug for your employers Matt?

lol

Will
26-09-03, 01:22 PM
hes on holiday so im guessing he cant be arsed, lmfao

wisewood
26-09-03, 01:25 PM
lol

MattyWoo
26-09-03, 01:48 PM
I have never directly plugged my employers directly, although jim has a few times :P
But if you do need any springs or a full kit give me a shout :wink:

NuTtY nOvA fLaIr
26-09-03, 02:44 PM
1st of all its really easy to fit lowering springs, and as for just having the springs and standard shocks ive done the same ive got Apex 60mm springs and standard shocks and its been fine in the long run its better to get the full kit, but at the time i only had the money for the springs i just wanted mine lowered :D

Craig

Will_Nova1.2i
26-09-03, 03:02 PM
yeah i think i will prob just stick to the cheap springs and when ive got some money together prob get some decent shocks. the ride cant be that bad with standard shocks compared to an un-lowered nova! handles like shite and everytime i go around a roundabout it feels like im gona roll it!!!! :lol:

Cheers for the help guys!

Will
26-09-03, 03:18 PM
will be more comfy on standard shocks, bit bouncy but possibly better than hurting ur spine non stop, pmsl

rgv_stu
26-09-03, 03:25 PM
imo the dampers do more than springs to improve ride / grip
fitting new springs to worn out underated dampers is asking for trouble.

Gobby
26-09-03, 04:15 PM
I fitted lowering springs to my Astra SRi, with standard shocks, bust the strut tops and they had only been on 2 months

Serialkilla
26-09-03, 08:51 PM
I've got a set of 40mm apex springs i'm getting rid of for 40 quid if you want them i also can fit them for you.

ade
27-09-03, 12:56 PM
standard shocks on lowered springs is mince!

Anything lower than 40mm and theres lots of probs - faster worn shocks (as they take most of the impact as springs are too short) - springs falling out the back - unless you tie wrap them which is v dodgy :o , extra pressure on strut tops/mounts and suspension in general, bad ridwe - tons of roll on cornering and theres no guarantee the car will actually get lower - the shocks are what determine the height - standard shocks are longer then normal ones. The springs are adjusted to fit the shocks +- a bit) so even if you reduce the springs you may find the car wont drop that much.

My opinions based on experience and feedback frfom others...

_JH_
28-09-03, 02:02 PM
the shocks are what determine the height

they may determine the very maximum and minimum height of the car (ie jacked up or with no springs lol) but the ride height is determined by the springs.

basically -40mm springs are considered 'ok' with standard shocks, providing they are in good condition. best to have shortened ones though. anything more than -40mm and you are taking a gamble, no matter what a lot of people on here may tell you they have done

Stanton
28-09-03, 08:28 PM
cheapest way is tp find urerself a really fat bird and a bag of ballast.

works a treat!! :D