PDA

View Full Version : Charging batteries

millworm
06-11-16, 05:59 PM
Or mor specifically race batteries. Now I know it's a big no no to use car chargers on motorbike batteries witch are very similar to race batteries. But can I use a car charger on my race one? It's been sitting connected for 2 week's and gone flat. It's a 400cca one fitted to my caddy so very high to turn the diesel but obviosly low ah due to its size, about a 3rd of a normal 400cca battery. Any help is appreciated as it's nearly £200 worth of battery and I don't want to cook it!

mowgli
06-11-16, 07:13 PM
Sorry, but just why did you fit a race battery to a diesel van? It's a false economy to fit one to anything other than a racing car, because racing cars don't have ancillary things like a road car.

Just charge it up, it's a battery. But it won't last very long on the caddy before needing a recharge

Jonesfach
06-11-16, 08:01 PM
Car charger battery will kick out about 14v dc which for a car Battery is perfect. From distant memory isn't a car battery 8 cells at 1.6 v each?? 12.48 v dc

what rating is the battery you have in voltage terms ??

Are motorbike battery's 6v dc rated - don't know much about bikes but if you put a car battery charger on it yes it would damage it..ie 12-14 v dc on a 6 volt battery is not good.

Iain
07-11-16, 08:11 AM
You are indeed insane for fitting that battery.

It won't like long periods of standing, so you'll need to isolate it. Which means no alarm and radio stations stored.

I would use a good battery conditioner rather than a basic charger to bring it back to health. Then fit a standard battery.

Andy
07-11-16, 09:29 AM
Wow.

kevy.m
07-11-16, 11:27 AM
OOffft don't use a normal 12v charger you will kill it you need a optimate type charger, put the battery type/spec or a pic of the battery.

millworm
07-11-16, 12:18 PM
The reason I fitted it is because there is no longer any room for a standard one after I fitted an intercooler so it now resides under the passage seat. The battery was fine when It was in daily use, there is virtually no ancillary equipment as it's a 1989 van haha. I'll post up specs when I get home or if I can pull them off the web

millworm
07-11-16, 12:23 PM
ODYSSEY PC950 is the model

kevy.m
07-11-16, 05:47 PM
ODYSSEY PC950 is the model

You need a agm type charger with max of 6 amp output buddy.

Jonesfach
07-11-16, 08:53 PM
You need a agm type charger with max of 6 amp output buddy.
It's a 12v battery so surely you need the voltage of a 12v charger?
Have no experience of these batteries myself but as I know car electrics is a field of its own. Never learnt in depth car electrics in college sadly. It's a weird and wonderful world that's for sure.

some charger info which the diagram suggests is nominal 12 v.dc which rises to 14.7 v.dc which is about right.
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/accessories/odycharger.htm

millworm
07-11-16, 09:58 PM
Sweet guys, saved me (and my wallet) from a costly mistake! Will be fitting one in the nova soon so will defo be handy to remember!