PDA

View Full Version : avgas

total_vauxhall
29-10-16, 08:38 PM
Anyone on here ever ran 90% avgas 10%meth
With a c20let . I know it contains alot of lead but having spoke to alot of people with hill climb cars and race bikes it looks to be a great alternative fuel .
What are pros n cons?

Mike
29-10-16, 09:32 PM
Avgas contains a suprising amount of lead that will and does kill sensors (Lamba for exampl) and will eventually destroy a Cat if fitted.

Also it has high surface tension (for a liquid) and doesnt atomise well.

And before you ask about Jet A1, thats just basically kerosene & only midly useful for a diesel engine with added oil.

If it was such a great idea, you wouldnt need to ask about it because everyone would already be using it wouldnt they ;)

Stuart
29-10-16, 09:41 PM
Also, that cocktail will eat any rubber parts you have in the fuel system.

total_vauxhall
29-10-16, 09:43 PM
No worrys with the cat problems ect this is a full race motor im talking about not for road use . Just looking at alternatives to e85 thats all . My car currently was doing around 1.5 miles per gallon
And with another 300 hp it gets a bit silly . Hence why im looking into a diffrent fuel . Dont get anywere without asking questions

total_vauxhall
29-10-16, 09:44 PM
Will be very little rubber in the system pal as i have bought all parts to run pure meth which i plan to do in the future

Teflon lines aem meth and ethanol rated pump and looking for 875cc injectors to take the extra fuel

Mike
29-10-16, 09:46 PM
1.5mpg... I wouldnt worry about "better" fuels.... id worry about a different car lol lol

Stuart
30-10-16, 07:24 AM
E85 is nasty stuff but will get the det resistance you are after.... Although far far far less calorific energy than in even 95ron, it's swings and roundabouts in some aspects having fuel to dial a Larry load of advance into vs simply putting more energy in via the fuel and less advance.

if you gave us a hint more info then you might get a better answer lol

wwinstanley
01-11-16, 11:24 AM
I was under the impression avgas has some sort of anti freezing chemical in it??