PDA

View Full Version : Track day advice

Asa-James
20-10-16, 01:15 PM
Any and all appreciated, doing my first one on Saturday at Oulton Park. Taking spare tyres and brake pads, anything else I need to think about?

Peredur
20-10-16, 03:32 PM
Oil
Water
Brake Fluid
Tools
Jack
Axle Stands
Driveshafts?
Torque Wrench
Tyre Pressure Gauge
Compression Tester
Battery Drill
Multimeter
Some wire, crimps, bulbs, spare switches, fuses, relays etc.
Few nuts & bolts of various sizes
Tap & Die set

I'm not a track'er but that's sortof the minimum I'd take to a rally
I suppose it depends on, if something breaks, do you want to be able to fix it and get back out or will you put it on the trailer and go home? Also, if you know of any parts that your car might need out there then obviously take them with you.

Also, on a rally, there is a mindset of - keep the car going at all costs, so some would take a welder with them, helicoil sets, spares of absolutely everything. On a trackday there's nothing much at stake so there's no harm in taking it home and sorting it at a later date

paddy235
20-10-16, 03:42 PM
The most important Cable ties

Stuart
20-10-16, 04:15 PM
Hope this works
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/content.php?34-*INFO*-Dans-Trackday-Guide

Its a little old but the basics are there.
Basically have fun, dont try too hard and go home safe

turbojolt
20-10-16, 04:59 PM
Make sure your starter motor is firmly attached

Asa-James
21-10-16, 06:26 AM
Cheers guys, Stuart that was the link I was after but couldn't find! It's my daily Panda 100hp I'm taking, it's kept in fairly good shape so I'm hoping reliability won't be an issue, this car survived an autosolo last weekend at Wrexham (and won!)

Ive got about three hours free today in between work/vet appointment/other shizzle to get it sorted for tomorrow

Iain
21-10-16, 08:11 AM
For standard road tyres definitely take a pump and pressure gauge and keep an eye on tyre wear. If they're wearing badly then reduce the laps right down. Check tyre temps when hot and adjust accordingly.

Take brake fluid and be prepared to bleed through some of the front brakes at lunch, if it's standard fluid and you're hard on the brakes things may get warm

When you pull into the pits don't put your handbrake on and jump out, leave it idling for a minute and then roll it forward and put it in gear when the engine's off

Keep it nice and slow and smooth at first and build the speed up throughout the morning

Make sure your starter motor doesn't fall off and has all the bolts in, good advice Leigh

If you don't have a suitable helmet already grab a comfy one from a local shop.

Asa-James
21-10-16, 04:26 PM
Four new tyres with pump and gauge going with me, brake fluid changed a week ago but taking more with a bleed bottle, new pads coming as well just in case, and I have a bike helmet I use for Karting so sorted there too. Just got to fit the tyres to my spare wheels, oil and filter and clean tonight :)

Southie
21-10-16, 07:57 PM
Always remember your helmet.

Benn
22-10-16, 10:00 AM
Make sure you have enough fuel.

Seen two cars run out of fuel on the frigging track. One was a member on here...

Asa-James
22-10-16, 10:30 AM
Started with a full tank, averaging 24mpg:)

Asa-James
22-10-16, 06:51 PM
Brakes, not even half worn from the morning, didn't lose them at all, swapped two tyres as they were borderline road legal, so will get more use out of them, didn't use a drop of fluid all day, and had a blast!

mk1nova_rich
22-10-16, 09:04 PM
Glad it went well :thumb:

mowgli
23-10-16, 08:31 AM
Nobody mentioned cash for burgers & pop