PDA

View Full Version : Grinding welds down on tight places

SRsam
15-09-16, 09:31 PM
Just wondering when you guys do your projects what you use to grind down welds in tight places I have an angle grinder with flat pad a die grinder with carbide bits but they don't really do much to welds the grinder is fine just can't get it in tight places. Any information or recommendation would be great thanks sam

Andy
15-09-16, 10:01 PM
Power file

paul james
15-09-16, 10:04 PM
Could try a hand file and a whole lot of effort! Polycarbide discs are pretty good as they can smooth off welds without damaging everything else around them much if you slip/catch unwanted areas.
You can get flexible drill extenders, which as they are small can get in harder to reach areas, then use small attachment bits on them, such as the little sanding stone type ones in various shapes. I managed with this method for a bit, before breaking the extending thing. A small air drill is a better option if you have a compressor as they are so much smaller than an electric drill or angle grinder for getting in tight spots.

brucer
15-09-16, 10:24 PM
As andy said, power file/finger sander, can get electric ones by black and decker I think. Belts can get expensive as they have a tendency for ripping off and breaking.

BRoadGhost
15-09-16, 10:46 PM
If you can get a torch in there to weld you can get a carbide bit on a dremel extension. That said good welding shouldn't need it

SRsam
16-09-16, 07:24 AM
Hi thanks for the information. The welds are good welds but I've cut various pieces of rust out and put plates in and don't want to be able to see any weld as I want it to look factory. I have the air die grinder with a carbide bit in but doesn't seem to touch them . Might turn psi up on compressor and get a new bit .

Stuart
16-09-16, 07:50 AM
New bits will be better than spinning them faster.
power files are ace

total_vauxhall
16-09-16, 09:12 AM
As stuart says power file or just better desuiter bits we use them all the time at work to get into the corners of beams ect and can take a 15mm fw out without any problems so should be fine on car stuff

SRsam
16-09-16, 11:56 AM
Right had ago with die grinder but compressor not big enough it's only a 50 litre 1.5 hp . I can get it to grind the welder for all of 1 minute then it's pretty much lost its power.
I'm going to order a power file I've seen a sealey at 46 pound what makes would you recommend for a power supply type thanks again

Mike
16-09-16, 05:26 PM
A straight die grinder with a barrel on the end or power file as said.

SRsam
16-09-16, 08:12 PM
A straight die grinder with a barrel on the end or power file as said.

Cheers guys I've ordered a power file and several different grades of sanding belts

Benn
19-09-16, 04:42 PM
Power file/belt sander. Ive got a good elec one and i use it all the time. Perfect for hard to get welding.