PDA

View Full Version : UPOL gravitex

nova_pipi
04-09-16, 09:57 PM
I'm looking at painting the underneath of my car in the near future so I have fully stripped the underneath and wheel arches of all old seam sealant and old stone chip plus completed any necessary welding.
I have zinc primed the bottom and I am planning on seam sealing the shell again and then re stone chipping the base with UPOL gravitex using a compressor and shultz gun.
My question is what is everyone's experience with gravitex? Is it any good so I won't need to do the process again and is it easily over paintable?
Thanks
Phil

conza123
04-09-16, 10:09 PM
I'm using upol raptor on mine
u can tint it car colour to

slimtater
04-09-16, 10:22 PM
Upol Raptor - look at my Sport build on projects!

nova_pipi
06-09-16, 05:30 PM
Cheers, is raptor over paintable? On the tintable version, does it alter the colour at all such as make it look duller etc, you've done a great job on your sport

slimtater
06-09-16, 05:42 PM
Cheers, is raptor over paintable? On the tintable version, does it alter the colour at all such as make it look duller etc, you've done a great job on your sport

You can overpaint it but to be honest if you get it tinted body colour and it's the underside, not sure why. It's a tad duller than the main body finish that's all.

nova_pipi
06-09-16, 06:03 PM
Was just thinking of doing it black then over painting it as its going to be a home jobby just using aerosols for the paint, did it alter the colour in anyway or was it as you say just slightly duller, probably due to not having a lacquer on? Not sure though

slimtater
06-09-16, 06:16 PM
Was just thinking of doing it black then over painting it as its going to be a home jobby just using aerosols for the paint, did it alter the colour in anyway or was it as you say just slightly duller, probably due to not having a lacquer on? Not sure though

No it didn't alter the colour - I ordered it as tinted Polar White and the colour was pretty spot on. I guess if you are doing black and comparing with a black paint with lacquer then you are probably going to think its duller though. I would say the texture, ease and protection underneath far outweigh and dullness though - well they did for me! :-)

Did you see the videos I posted? They are probably difficult to see the finish.

Benn
08-09-16, 01:02 PM
Gravitiex tends to dry and start to spilt. It's cheap and crap.

Spend the money on better and you'll get a much better finish, job, protection.

nova_pipi
10-09-16, 09:41 AM
Ahhh didn't realise gravitex went like that, I've opted for raptor now and going to over paint the black version, thanks for the advise everyone

Benn
10-09-16, 09:59 AM
Yeah it's cheap and crap.

My bodyshop use it on mot welding jobs. Next year on and it's all come apart.