PDA

View Full Version : Unreliable GSi

2litreturbo
25-09-03, 04:32 PM
My mate has a GSi and every so often the ECU light will come on and the engine will just die. Some times it is possible to jump start it while you are still rolling but other times you have to leave it a minute or two before it will restart. Sometimes it will go for a week without playing up but other times it could be twice a day. It isn't related to the weather as it does it in all weather. It isn't the ECU as that has been changed and vauxhall couldn't find anything wrong with thier diagnostic computer. But the problem is, that vauxhall wont find anything unless the laptop is plugged in when the engine dies.

Anyone had a similar problem before? Any ideas what it could be? Post anything you can think off and i'll just slowly work down the list to see what it is.

ALSO, anyone know a company in the Essex Area that will retrim seats?

Ta

Dicko
25-09-03, 08:52 PM
im guessing the ecu light only comes on cuz the engine has cut out?

maybe a break in a wire? or even a bad earth

2litreturbo
28-09-03, 07:51 PM
yeah the ecu light comes on then the engine dies. switch the ignition off, switch it on and the ecu light is off. Because the ecu light is never on for more than 30 seconds, the ecu doesn't log a fault code

Jules
29-09-03, 08:51 AM
Go to www.topbuzz.com and print out the bit all about the ECU codes, keep this print out in your (his) car along with a paperclip and a pen, next time it does it follow the instructions on the guide and try and find out where the problem lies and write it down!!

Dicko
29-09-03, 09:00 AM
hows that gonna work you muppet when its not logging any faults?

im sure the ecu light should come on when ignition on but engine not running :-/

ZuG
29-09-03, 11:04 AM
mine does exactly the same. but mine is much more rare. does it once a month. The ECU light comes on when driving then goes off again then it would just cut the engine and be unable to start for about 5 minutes. then its fine again.

Jules
29-09-03, 11:49 AM
hows that gonna work you muppet when its not logging any faults?

im sure the ecu light should come on when ignition on but engine not running :-/

Well excuse me for making a suggestion and trying to be helpfull, I'll just go and read the rest of the posts and not bother replying.

And yes, the ECU light comes on with stage 2 ignition and goes off once engine has started unless it has reason to come on.

Dicko
29-09-03, 11:52 AM
\toys out pram

Jules
29-09-03, 03:43 PM
\toys out pram

Not at all m8, but I posted a reply to someones request for help, OK so if it doesn't help in this instance then it's handy to know in future if the ECU light ever does come on - saves a trip to Vauxhall to pay for them to do what you could do at home.
Next time I'll wait until someone asks how to read the ECU codes with a paperclip before I reply.
Anyway this post is getting hijacked so I'll shut up now.

2litreturbo
29-09-03, 06:05 PM
mine does exactly the same. but mine is much more rare. does it once a month. The ECU light comes on when driving then goes off again then it would just cut the engine and be unable to start for about 5 minutes. then its fine again.

Did you manage to sort yours?
Any ideas?

wisewood
03-10-03, 04:06 PM
had same problem with my 1.3 5door.

was engine earth strap.