PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox/shafts problem

-fred-
12-08-16, 11:51 AM
Quick question lads, I was using an f16 box in my xe nova but now Iv decided to convert it to five stud and was wondering if I can still use the f16 box and if so what drives do I use? And if it's not possible to use my f16 wot drives to I need to buy to run an f18?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benn
12-08-16, 12:35 PM
Yes you can keep it.

As it's all on the outer side. You can use Merriva front hubs. Derv ones ring a bell, they fit small block shafts, but ae big block 5 stud. I have a pic somewhere.

-fred-
12-08-16, 12:49 PM
Iv already put Saab hubs on the front? Will they work or will I need to change to merriva hubs?

Benn
12-08-16, 05:07 PM
I believe Saab will be big block, Isn't the F16 a small block gear box, so you'll have small block shafts...

RallyMarshal
12-08-16, 05:25 PM
F10/F13/F15/F17 is "small block" and F16/F18/F20 is "big block".

However it is possible to use a big block gearbox on a small block engine with the correct clutch setup (and vice versa I guess) and you can get different inner CV joints to run either type of box with a small outer CV or large outer CV by mixing and matching shafts.

I assume the Saab hubs use a larger "big block" outer CV and the F16 definately uses a large "big block" inner CV

Paul..

-fred-
15-08-16, 07:56 AM
Cheers Paul so the drives I already have all I need to do is put big block cv's on the outer?? I really want to keep the f16 cause the redtop reved really well when I had it in the corsa,

-fred-
15-08-16, 07:57 AM
I believe Saab will be big block, Isn't the F16 a small block gear box, so you'll have small block shafts...

Yeah the Saab is devs big blocks exact same setup as a redtop cav I believe

Iain
15-08-16, 09:45 AM
If you have 22 spline conversion Nova shafts, they need to be replaced with some big block conversion shafts in order to use the big block outer CVs