PDA

View Full Version : nova pattern wings

Gordyl2005
16-07-16, 09:51 PM
hello,
Im restoring a 1.3 sr nova, which i have recently purchased, it came as part of the deal with 2 new pattern wings made by motopart.

after a lot of welding the nova is ready for paint, so i built it up with new wings on for paint shop to see, but these are a real bad fit,

anyways i took it over to see the fellow at the paint shop, he was happy enough with the rest of the nova but he says im wasting my time with the pattern wings. he says it will take ages to line these up anyways close and if i want to do it, do it right and get proper gm wings. I value this persons opinion as he is a good painter and knows what he is talking about

when i can home i put old wings back on for a comparrision ands its like night and day of how it sits.

whats everyone elses opinion on pattern wings, and have i just got a bad pair

thanks

gordy

torquey
16-07-16, 10:43 PM
Pattern wings always need fettling to fit right that's why they are cheap compared to genuine ones. You can get them to fit nice but be prepared to keep taking it off & on trial fitting it once you dressed it into shape to make sure everything lines up.

paul james
16-07-16, 11:06 PM
Where do they fit badly? I had some and they sat out way too wide against the door, they were fine everywhere else though. Foolishly I'd painted them before trial fitting them as I hadn't known at the time of their ill fitting reputation. If yours are similar then they should be persuaded to sit right with a bit of effort.
Mine rusted pretty quickly though, wether that was due to not prepping them adequately or them being crap steel I'm not really sure. Switched to fibreglass wings since then, which also didn't fit against the door properly, too close to the shell this time, but I simply stuck a bunch of washers on the bottom bolt between the wing and the shell to make them stick out further.

GM wings will be pricey these days and fairly tricky to find new, but if its the last thing to perfect the car its probably worth doing right. Given how much a SR can be worth now, it could be considered a wise investment :)

Gordyl2005
17-07-16, 08:35 AM
thanks for the replys.
the left hand wing is not to bad and i think with a bit of time I could get it near perfect, its the driver side thats the real problem. there is a massive gap of about 10-12mm up at th shuttle pannel and around the rop of door pillar. if i make it sit up were it should be the wing then over laps door near the bootom sill and front is a way of. seems like it is well off shape.
the painter has said getting these right will maybe put 2 days at a maxium onto his time for costs.

need to have an other look to see,

i want this wee sr to be sitting mint as its a 1 owner car,

Gordyl2005
21-07-16, 09:15 PM
I have spent alot of time trying to line these wings up, and have came to a definate conclusion its the wings just arent right shape or something.

Can anybody recommend any where that sells these mk1 wings that from past experience know they are not to bad fit, See there is a seller on ebay with them.

thanks

totalnova
21-07-16, 10:45 PM
I cant help you with the pattern wings, I can only suggest making a wanted advert and get yourself a good condition genuine one, I'm sure a few people will have some just gathering dust.
Nick.