PDA

View Full Version : ?2500 to spend help!!

crazygav
25-09-03, 06:42 AM
Alright fellas i have a 1.0 litre nova dont laugh me dad bought it an gave me 2 an half grand to do it up he dont want me having a big motor for a year, any ways can you lot give me some ideas on what to do first an what sort of kit i should get?? (many consentrating on the out side of the car) :?:

i already have it lowered 60m on g max springs an damper an a 5" janspeed back boxs.

help us out yeah
cheers fellas

Will
25-09-03, 10:11 AM

buy a LET, F28 etc etc, get lots of welding done, and fit it :D:D:D:D

nwmlarge
25-09-03, 10:36 AM
can of petrol and a match. then spend 2500 on a decent size engineed car in the same colour and don't tell ur dad

linzTDI
25-09-03, 10:38 AM
:lol:
yeah get a MK2

Dpnova
25-09-03, 11:03 AM
Save the money and buy a bigger engine next year,

Aamir
25-09-03, 11:07 AM
Sell the car, buy a mint GSi, then mod it to how you want it.
Atleast start with a worthy model, the GSi is the best.

Engines are cheap if you want performance.
Bodykit options are vast if you're more into styling.

crazygav
25-09-03, 12:35 PM
i cant sell it or burn it alright i just wanted some ideas what to get for it its a mk 2 an in a years time i will drop i 1.6 or 1.4 in it but in till then i want to do it up help us out lads????

Dpnova
25-09-03, 12:36 PM
Gsi replica!!

wisewood
25-09-03, 12:46 PM
www.supernovas.uk.com
not the widest range of stuff available but its a start for ya.

Get it lowered 40mm - if you take the 40mm option instead of 60 you will have less problems with alloys rubbing etc and wont need shortened shocks.

Get some alloys for it - once you have these two key elements done you will see the car looking loads better - dont get bigger than 15" alloys as you only have a 1.0 and it will REALLY struggle to drag you along if you put 17's on it.

Once thats out of the way - you still have plenty left to select your favorite front and rear bumpers, and some side skirts.

nwmlarge
25-09-03, 01:05 PM
burn it anyway

b34ney
25-09-03, 01:07 PM
Respray Black, GSI Kit, Lowered, GSI Interior, Laguna or Espace Splitter, 16inch Speedlines/Softstars and a decent head unit,speakers and subs,

Will
25-09-03, 01:43 PM
wont need shortened shocks if u only go 40mm? WTF

lmfao go 60 70 or 80mm on standard shocks it will be fun, seriously tho i dont see a prob running 60mm on standard shocks, yes they wear out quiker but u can pick up another set for a fiver so who cares :D

good luck with modding

i was joking with my LET comment all of you saying abt a GSI are u stupid unless ur back in the good old days u cant insure a gsi at 17 ne more unless u have 2k to waste, actually theres a plan

sell urs for ?500, put that towards your 2.5k

buy a nice gsi for 1k

insure it

then u have ?0 left :D:D:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MattyWoo
25-09-03, 01:58 PM
www.supernovas.uk.com

Dear oh dear wisewood, firstly u buy stuff from demon tweeks then recommend supernovas and dont give us a second glance. tut tut :P

Will
25-09-03, 02:02 PM
not giving a slating

but

supernovas are cheaper on various things

e.g. boot pop kit and bonnet struts

will

MattyWoo
25-09-03, 02:09 PM
But they are only special offers!!

linzTDI
25-09-03, 02:11 PM
i think over all supernovas is good the prices are very reasonable and you get a discount if your a member of novaload so whos complaining

geordie_racer
25-09-03, 03:22 PM
hello, welcome to the forum

basically your options will fall roughly in the following ideas unless you're prepared to do a lot of work yourself to make things unique,

bodykits,
novadose
abyss
gsi replica(my personal favourite if you add a splitter to the front and a diffuser to the rear)
delta
bat motorsport
kingdom Type K kit
kingdom 'big mouth' kit

exhausts
ashley
powerflow
scorpion
janspeed
general opinion avoid peco like the plague

interior,
most common is gsi interior
or cheaper is sr seats and mk2 dash
digi dash is quite a common option aswell

also if its a mk1 you could consider a mk2 front end if thats your taste.

basically most will agree that over the top big style jap kits dont generally suit the nova but like everything with cars it is all personal opinion and its your car so as long as you like it nothing else matters.

as for the engine, your probably best keepin the 1 litre for now then from six months to next year start lookin into probably a 1.4sr, sri or 1.4 16v corsa conversion all of which are fairly tunable on a decent budget.

hope that helps and any questions just ask sum1 will probably have an answer somewhere.

also read throught the old post as most questions have been asked before and the old posts will improve your general knowledge of cars and different jobs/problems

chris

linzTDI
25-09-03, 03:23 PM
jesus man nowt like narrowin it down for him

geordie_racer
25-09-03, 03:31 PM
you followin me linz?

he asked what his options were and i think i covered most of them lol, he should be allowed to make his own choices so therefore should be aware of most the things that are available not just the ones i like as that would be prejudiced lol

chris

crazygav
25-09-03, 04:29 PM
what is the best body kit i like the look of the abyess kit ?

what are the plastic strips for what run along the roof of the car an can i buy new plastic or even take them off cheers lads?

geordie_racer
25-09-03, 04:34 PM
you can't ask questions like that mate as everybody will tell you to go for something different. as i stated my personal favourite is a slightly tweaked smooth gsi kit. if you like the look of the abyss kit then get it worst that can happen is you'll get it not like it and sell it on

chris

Dpnova
25-09-03, 04:38 PM
I agree, u have to make the decision, personally i like the gsi kit. But the choice is urs

Fester
25-09-03, 05:59 PM
why all the advice to sell? you can refit your exterior and interior with GSi kit from the for sale ads (Ben lurk75@hotmail.com has hefty amount of stuff) for a few hundred quid, and even if you were to walk into a garage and get a drive in drive out of a GTE or GSI engine it wouldnt cost too much

if you want to go the GSI route, or for that matter GTE

resprays seem to cost ?600-?800 for a normal job with not too much custom work? n0va's just had his sprayed with loads of bits of and pieces done he can give more accurate info regards bodyshop stuff

?Marty?
25-09-03, 06:09 PM
God, i've seen more shit on this one thread than i ever have on this site.

A LET would be a bit stupid, since he's prob a first time driver and etc.

But what i dont understand is why you'd want (and get given) a 1 litre nova AND then ?2500 to do it up? Why polish a turd. Does you dad WANT you to learn how to lose/waste money?

It's stupid when people get cars like that and claim its because they can't afford the insurance/its too high and etc. Then go spend several grand on sticking bits of plastic on them. WTF!?

Use ALL the money (cost of car + cost to insure it + what you have/intend to spend on doing it up) and buy a better, newer car.

Why spend ?400 or whatever on insuring a shitter, then spend 2.5k on doing it up, when you can spend more on the insurance (since the money on doing it up is WASTED and you wont get a penny back) to have a better car in the first place.

Anyway, i have a plastic shitter and like novas. What kind of look do you wanna go for?

I'd just say that you're better off using the money to improve the car all round rather than using almost all of it on one thing in particluar.

First: make sure it's serviced. i.e new spark plugs, get some new leads and air filter and change the oil. THEN GET IT ALARMED before you do anything else.

Second: Lower it and fit a nice set of 16's, like Speedlines.

Then: Have all the bumpstrips etc removed, de-badge it all round, GSi front bumper with a seat splitter, GSi sideskirts (keep the Mk2 rear, but colourcode it along with the mirrors and door handles and etc), clear rear lights and side-repeaters, single wiper.

Then get a sportex rear. Single 3" tailpipe. They're cheap, well made and sound good. Since you don't need anything like Magnex for a BEAST of a 1 litre.

Get a decent headunit and some 6 by 9's in the rear shelf (stealth shelf) for listening to music. It will be loud enough and not use up a lot of your budget. And you wont miss them as much if they ever ger stolen, as you would with a full on system. But then i'm not into ICE at all. Unless it's diamonds and shit in my ears, round my neck and on the wrist.

Then you could replace the interior for a gsi one, or remove the back seat, fit some bucket seats in the front and a nice rollcage in the rear and just replace things like the steering wheel, gearknob and etc as you go along.

Or you could build a shopping trolley like me.

(See, people laugh when someone puts a 'done up' nova for sale for ?2500+, but then there are people like Gav that buy a nova AND intend on spending 2500 on it, so it makes more sense for them to buy a car that's had ?8k+ spent on it, even if it is priced at ?3000 and people point and say 'fuck me, look at this crazy twat wanting that much for a shitty nova!'. Tho it's more fun building your own. And no one should buy a car that's had engine mods. Since people only make their cars faster for one reason. And that's a reason to avoid buying those cars after they have finished with them. fo real. ).

wisewood
26-09-03, 01:00 PM
no one should buy a car that's had engine mods. Since people only make their cars faster for one reason. And that's a reason to avoid buying those cars after they have finished with them.

Some very good points in there marty once you sift through the rubble that is your usual writing style throwing good and bad into the mix together lol.

That last bit, as quoted is a VERY good point indeed.

crazygav
26-09-03, 05:28 PM
thanks alot fellas you help alot i have chose i body kit well bits of ones anyway am getting the abyess rear bumper novedose side shirts an can remember the name of the front one.
well a few more questions ok
1. it's lowered 60mm can i put 17" with out rolling my arches ( i know i'll only go about 80 mph ha)
2.how much is it to get all your windows tinted?
3. them strips of metal on the roof can you take them off?
4. what insurance companys do you recomend?
5. where can i find astra gte mrk 2 dashes from?

thanks sorry for being a pain
cheers thanks
fellas

Fester
26-09-03, 06:52 PM
1. i dont believe so

2. about ?160-?280ish professionally

3. not easily at all

4. CIS, Liverpool Victoria, Tesco

5. people always have them for sale on for sale forum, try Ben lurk75@hotmail.com

pickle
27-09-03, 02:50 PM
eeeeeeeew, abyss. my mate has a nova and is spoile rotton, he aint even drove it yet and hes had it 2 year. he cant even drive, his dad bought him an abyss kit, and its fucking ugly. id keep away.

?Marty?
28-09-03, 04:18 AM
them strips of metal on the roof can you take them off?

Yes. BUT, cost a lot of money and isn't an easy job, since they are what bonds the roof on. And the metal there is very thin so difficult to weld, and etc.

Wisewood - though there are exceptions to everything. Ricks Nova for example.

And my writing style changes from single word answers, to flowing essays (but less of the flowing, and more 'pots & pans in the sink approach' lol).

Paul
28-09-03, 11:50 PM
abyss kit is coll supernovas got the whole kit for ?275 i beleive. its basically standard nova bumpers with diffusers. gsi b/mouth, m3 skirts, mk2 rear saxo diffuser. i like it.

linzTDI
29-09-03, 09:11 AM
nah its a bit more than that

I like the abyss rear waiting for it coming actually.
didnt like the front bumper much tho and i want GSI side skirts with clips so no bodge jobs just nice and simple (hopefully)

L1OONEY
01-01-04, 04:22 AM
Hi what have you done so far i have a 1ltr nova it keeps cuttin out been told its the points or summin like that got a set of 195/50/15's fox 6's but the wrong offset gettin it lowerd 40-mm so should be fine got a costom GTE straight through so shes comin along but it rips a hole in ur pocket well big hopes for the big 2.0 16v soon........hows yours comin along......

nova_rally
01-01-04, 10:52 AM
For insurance use CIS: Get your dad to put it in his name, insure it for any driver (including additional drivers under 25) and it'll be well cheap. My 1.4SR like that is currently costing less than ?250 a year like that. (I'm 18, full license since May 2003)

visit www.cis.co.uk - easiest and fastest online quote!

Mods on the 1l are not totally pointless - there are cars under 1l that would totally kick any Nova SR's ass out there as standard, so a decent tuned 1l could be quite decent.

Personally I'd prefer a small car with a 1.3/1.4 engine thats decently tuned - much better than a 2.0 car thats the size of the bus and handles like a tank. Small cars are way underrated!

Alan

AnThoNYnOvA
02-01-04, 04:21 AM
there is simple and there is ott

young lads like ott like me but im going for the streep sleeper look TLUBT
ott- kingdom kits but its nice hate the back nd spoiler but front bumbper is ok.

simple - gsi gte looking with a bit of creativity in mind.on the simple u have more money for engine mods

btw - TLUBT = they laught you burn them.

nova m@rk
02-01-04, 02:15 PM
i saw a proper street sleeper the other day a brown mk1 fiesta
wiv standard 18 year old steelies wiv a rs turbo lump in it should of seen me mates jaw drop when it left his GTE standing !

Jules
02-01-04, 03:52 PM
Aren't genuine GSi front bumpers under ?90 from Vauxhall now? If so then they are the best quality bumper you can get - It'll fit first time, It won't crack if you give it a slight knock (unlike fibreglass ones) and, in my opinion, looks the best on a MK2 Nova.

First thing you should do is fit a good alarm like Marty said, then decide what you're going to do with regards to your engine, if you're happy to run the 1.0 for a year then do a service on it - spark plugs, oil & Filter etc etc. If you're going to change it then set some money aside for it, best bet for your age would to probably be to drop a 1.3 SR engine and box in, again if you do get a used engine / box then again it's best to service it before you put it in. Once you've decided on your engine then think about the styling - my opinions are:

Get the GSi front bumper and spray it a nice dark metallic grey - get your standard rear bumper done the same colour, Lower the Nova by about 40 - 60mm, fit a nice set of 16"s like Speedline Allesio's or Irmscher Softstars (Look for 2nd hand ones), Fit a good quality stainless exhaust - something like a Mongoose, Magnex or Scorpion (I'd recommend Mongoose), try and get a 2nd hand GSi interior (Speak to Ben when he gets back of his Holidays) and fit a Astra GTE digital dash but before any of this UPRATE THE BRAKES standard Nova brakes are shocking, you can get Astra 16V ATE discs (256mm) and calipers for peanuts and the V6 (288mm) discs and calipers are ?200 from Vaux_MD so they're also cheap.

Sorry if this reply seems "all over the place" but I just typed stuff as I though of it!!

Hope this is of some help!!