PDA

View Full Version : media blasting/dipping

Jack
27-05-16, 12:04 AM
Considering getting the super bee shell either acid dipped or media blasted so I know exactly what I'll be working with. Pros and cons of either?

I guess dipping would get into every nook and cranny which media blasting wouldn't - but I've read a few horror stories of shells not being properly cleaned or sealed afterwards and rusting from the inside out.

How much should I expect to pay for either option?

House
27-05-16, 05:37 AM
I was quoted £400 cash to blast the entire shell and a coat of primer but that was "weekend let the new kid have a go" rate.

As for dipping think SPL quotes me £2300 for dipping and then as rust inhibitor coating to be applieD

I've seen a few build threads with issue of weeping seams after dipping, so not sure on the effectiveness of the cleaning process.

Blasting only gets at what they can see, but a decent rust inhibitor sprayed up in all the nooks and crannies should see you ok after blasting.

Southie
27-05-16, 05:40 AM
Contact these guys RJ, Colin Smith and boffer have used them before:
http://www.paint-strip.co.uk

Have a read of this as well:
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?195243-Shell-sand-blasting&

totalnova
27-05-16, 08:20 AM
I've read plenty of bad things about dipping and spl, if it was me I would be media blasting, but on the other hand I'm sure there are plenty of people that are very happy that have had there car dipped.

slimtater
27-05-16, 11:43 AM
Had mine soda blasted throughout (including doors etc) and then coated in epoxy primer for £960 at Soda Blasting Limited as used by Car SOS - the ones who made the ice cream in the workshop!

Edd
27-05-16, 12:34 PM
Do not use spl

turbojolt
27-05-16, 12:41 PM
Did spl not smash up a sport?

Top work if they did but maybe not the best company

Andy
27-05-16, 02:03 PM
Did spl not smash up a sport?

Top work if they did but maybe not the best company
If thats true then thats deplorable behaviour.Many people would have loved that for a class two grasser.

Edd
27-05-16, 02:05 PM
Drilled a few holes in some roofs as well

Andy
27-05-16, 02:11 PM
Yeah thats for the roofpod number.
Whatsapp en route edd anyway yal lol at the pic

Plug
27-05-16, 03:50 PM
All I'll say with media blasting is it gets everywhere! I had about 4kg of metal blast under my seat crossmember on the nova that you would of never got out without removing it

totalnova
27-05-16, 06:35 PM
So basically an angle grinder and a knotted attachment seems the way to go.

Andy
27-05-16, 06:42 PM
Or gallons of nitro mors

Southie
27-05-16, 06:44 PM
Should have saved up and bought the one you wanted without pissing about, Novas on here should have taught you something RJ lol

Mike
28-05-16, 08:44 AM
Soda blasting is the was forward. Simply hoover it out afterwards.

Look on Facebook for Soda Blasting Ltd place they use on Car SOS, its in the Midlands in Bilston near my parents. They do a lot classic American stuff.

On another note, the Car SOS garage itself isnt far from there either lol only a stones throw from my parents house.

Jack
29-05-16, 06:19 PM
Should have saved up and bought the one you wanted without pissing about, Novas on here should have taught you something RJ lol
This thing has way less rust than my old nova, and even where there is rust it's still got massively thick metal underneath... there's a reason why it weighs the same as a small country lol

Mike
30-05-16, 10:01 AM
there's a reason why it weighs the same as a small country lol

You could probably fit the state of Texas in the boot lol

Jack
30-05-16, 05:54 PM
Next time we have a BBQ here, we have to see how many of us fit in the boot lol

Mike
31-05-16, 01:29 PM
#housewarming