PDA

View Full Version : Turreting nova rear

nova_pipi
24-05-16, 09:23 PM
Hi all,
What's everyone's thoughts on adding turrets in place of the rear suspension mounts? Does everyone think they are pointless or a worth while mod? I'm mainly looking at doing it as I like to run the car low and would like the extra travel on the suspension that this brings.
Let me know what you think.
Cheers
Phil

Southie
24-05-16, 09:44 PM
Here's a decent thread to have a read of:
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?84308-Coilovers-on-the-Rear&

nova_pipi
24-05-16, 10:18 PM
Perfect cheers, I couldn't find anything before

bazzap8389
24-05-16, 11:54 PM
I'd definitely say it's worth it, mine are tubbed and turreted. Got the parts from Motorsport tools

Plug
25-05-16, 07:47 AM
This is something I'll be going to do to my new shell

Iain
25-05-16, 08:09 AM
Definitely worthwhile. Opens up the options for more suspension choices and clearance.

Peredur
25-05-16, 08:34 AM
Depends what you want to do with the car. Most rally cars don't bother with turrets, just the correct rate (std fitment) springs and proper dampers (Bilstein Jumbos, Proflex or Reigers) so turreting isn't essential but it depends what you're doing with the car.

Benn
25-05-16, 02:18 PM
I'd like to do it too. For the same reason as you.(even tho i have extra short shocks) Lowness and clearance.

nova_pipi
25-05-16, 04:49 PM
I'm running the shortened bodied gaz coilovers now but think they don't really go to the height I want them too without being sat on the bump stops, seems like a straight decision to do then, I'll get some pictures and post up some progress. Was trying to make a decision before the shell was painted.
Cheers everyone

Plug
25-05-16, 05:08 PM
Unless you start chopping the rear chassis legs you won't be able to go much lower unless you start fabricating a rear beam up, and changing where it mounts.

im only turreting my new shell as the coilovers catch on the chassis, things where fine on my mk1 shell mind

Benn
25-05-16, 07:33 PM
I'm running the shortened bodied gaz coilovers now but think they don't really go to the height I want them too without being sat on the bump stops, seems like a straight decision to do then, I'll get some pictures and post up some progress. Was trying to make a decision before the shell was painted.
Cheers everyone

Mine are shorter bodies made extra short... And what's a bump stop? lol

Plug
25-05-16, 08:39 PM
Mine are the shorter ones iirc can't honestly remember as I've had them for years now

lol mines not got them either, but my suspension is rock hard aswell doubt they'd adjust either lol

how do you find your coilovers benn

Benn
26-05-16, 12:28 PM
Very nice. I spec'ed mine up to be right. Custom extra short bodies (Gaz recommended that) 300lbs spring rates, 6inch open length. +plus 24 stage click adjust.

Gives a great ride, not to stiff, but nice and firm. Can dial them harder if needs be too.

BRoadGhost
26-05-16, 10:33 PM
Not true Plug; you can get it low with travel before having to move beam mount points.

The hard part isn't actually turreting the struts; but the arch work.

http://s33.postimg.org/bgfgr8k3j/FS_Side.jpg

Benn
28-05-16, 03:23 PM
And you did alot of arch work! Really wish you write a project thread, such a awesome car.

nova_pipi
31-05-16, 12:29 PM
Bump stops are the rubber bung things that sit on the piston, there might be another name for them but I've always called them that haha I don't want to change anything rear beam wise so would rather change the turrets on the shell, I don't want to go that low /\ remember seeing a few pictures of this, was it not a different colour at some point too? Does anyone know what the clearance is like actually if you were to run 6.5j wheels lower than what you could get on standard struts?

Benn
31-05-16, 12:34 PM
lol Sorry it was a joke as i don't have any. They are called bump stops yes.

Mine are 6.5" J, with Gaz coilover, Very low! Clearance is close but everything clears.
If you where to turret the shell, you might as well move the beam shock mount over a little to straighten the shock up and such.

nova_pipi
01-06-16, 10:07 AM
That went straight over my head lol I always left mine in as I always worried about damaging the strut, I've started leaving a slither of rubber in now lol that's true I was going to reposition the hole on the shell further back slightly from its current position, I'll have a look on the rear beam too for moving it inwards, as you say, may aswel,