PDA

View Full Version : Fitting GTE engine

ade
24-09-03, 07:41 PM
Have an opportunity to get a nova GTE engine and other stuff at an excellent price (hopefully) - low mileage engine and very good.

I currently have a 1.4 with weber 32/34 but am thinking ahead for new project.

What I wanna know is how easy is it to fit a GTE engine into what is basically a 1.2 shell?

I know I'll need a new exhaust system and new drive shafts (unknown if drive shafts come with the engine) but its got everything else - all ancilliaries etc (presume ecu too).

Theres alot of stuff coming with the engine (interior, rad, gsi front bumper etc) and for the price is a bargin - just wanna know the work involved

Ade

geordie_racer
25-09-03, 01:41 AM
fittin gte engine is easy ade,

you'll need,

engine
ecu and loom
fuel pump and lines

then the following would b nice but arent must have
evrithin from gte engine bay ie. rad coil etc
gte g/box

the drive shafts don't make a difference but if u get them you'll b able to sell them to some1 wanting to do a valver conversion.

theres a post earlier about puttin a gte in a 1.3sr which contains most the stuff but you'll easily do it in a day.

chris

ade
25-09-03, 11:32 AM
cheers m8.

Owt to look out for???

bad_boy_nova
25-09-03, 11:46 AM
I changed my 4 speed 1.2 carb nova to a 1.6i GTE 5 speed f*cker! Well worth doing.

The things i used were:-

GTE Engine and Gearbox (obviously)
GTE Fuel Tank
GTE External injection pump
GTE Fuel Lines
I used the GTE driveshafts because the longer driveshaft had a torsional weight on it
GTE Radiator
GTE exhaust with a Peco BB2 back box
GTE ECU and Air Flow Meter
I needed to put the extra wiring in for the ECU and fuel pump
GTE 6 clock instrument panel (just changed to a digi dash now)

Im using 2.0L 16v Astra GTE front brakes with a 1.2 brake servo

Im using a full gmax suspension kit (springs and shocks)

I didnt put the GTE anti-roll bars on because people say that it makes the handling worse, i dont know whether this is true or not.

brian
25-09-03, 06:24 PM
I didnt put the GTE anti-roll bars on because people say that it makes the handling worse, i dont know whether this is true or not.
it doesn't make it worse. just depends on what way you like it setup

Dicko
25-09-03, 08:47 PM
you dont really need to chance the exhaust ade i wouldnt bother tbh :)

ade
26-09-03, 07:49 AM
cool - just got a new exhaust and 4 2 1 manifold so thats gonna save some cash!

thanks for advice3

hopefully picking up engine next week- may need to get fuel tank and pump but theres no rush- just gathering parts at the mo.

Ade

:wink: