PDA

View Full Version : z22se timing chain issues

turbojolt
22-05-16, 03:06 PM
My piece of shit astra has started rattling so......

I'm guessing the timing chain is screwed and I have a few questions

What needs changing?

What extra work needs doing to insure it don't happen again?

How hard is it to chain the chain? would I need any special tools?

Would it be more cost effective to fill it with petrol and fire and claim through the insurance?

Anyone got any ideas on cost of a proper real life mechanic man to do the work?

peester
22-05-16, 07:22 PM
I would suggest trying z22se.co.uk -I got a genuine chain kit (both timing and balance shaft sets) then an expert to fit it all. From what I saw- no special tools, but there is a bit of a 'knack' to it. Because the more experienced chaps tend to be so apt at it now - the cost was low for labour.

turbojolt
22-05-16, 08:03 PM
I've found a guide full of colour photos broken into easy steps. I think it's done by total vauxhall

It don't look like a hard job I might have a cracking at it

Stuart
22-05-16, 08:13 PM
The key is making sure you get a genuine kit and you must must must change the guides, oil jet and tensioner then set it once in

i did mine on the vx which has access issues for the long oil pump bolt and managed it in a very unfocused 7hrs (was helping my dad fit a gas hob etc lol)

turbojolt
22-05-16, 08:18 PM
I'm looking at the kits now. I want genuine gm parts so I will give autovaux a call in the morning to get a price.

I don't think the car has ever been serviced regularly as you can see loads of build up under the oil filler cap :( I should have walked when I found out it had no history never mind

turbojolt
22-05-16, 08:20 PM
If you found it easy on a mid engined car I have no excuse to not have a go