PDA

View Full Version : Advice for treating this rust

djmattyh
12-05-16, 09:07 PM
Have this rust in the driver side footwell on the right hand side

http://i63.tinypic.com/258cvvn.jpg

How can i get rid of it or stop it permantly. Can't get the grinder in the gap.

Any advice would be great. Sorry about poor quality.

Edd
12-05-16, 09:11 PM
You need to cut it out from the other side

Wing off
Splash guard probably rotten

djmattyh
12-05-16, 09:22 PM
Wing is off and splash guard nearly none existant lol.

Thanks

totalnova
13-05-16, 01:07 PM
That area comes out in the splash guard battery tray area, expect a whole load of rust under the sealer in my experience.

House
13-05-16, 06:53 PM
That area comes out in the splash guard battery tray area, expect a whole load of rust under the sealer in my experience.

I did this on the mine, on the other side, had to remove the wing and cut it all out from inside the wheel well. peel it open, clean it up and then do a bit of CAD and re-weld.

As Mr Total says, I'd expect the battery tray to have got a dose of this too!! Mine did, cutty cutty weldy weldy!!

Southie
13-05-16, 07:38 PM
I appreciate the work you guys do on here, an old nova of mine rotted very badly up and around that area and I ended up paying someone loads to sort, cut and reweld it all.

Nowadays I'd just photoshop it out lol

djmattyh
13-05-16, 09:20 PM
Must say i'm not looking forward to it. The battery tray isnt actually that bad. Its just that one area pictured & the inner arch. I'm looking for someone with nova expierence to weld the bits close to me.

EwanG
13-05-16, 09:46 PM
If you need to get in places to cut out rust that a grinder won't do then you might need a plasma cutter. A plasma uses an arc and compressed air. Is it a Mk2 nova you have?

djmattyh
14-05-16, 12:04 AM
I'll get someone else to do it i think. I'm ok with a grinder & welder but don't want to bodge it lol. It's a mk1 nova mate

brainsnova
14-05-16, 10:53 PM
Prep it ,make the panels then get someone to weld it that way you won't be shafted

djmattyh
15-05-16, 07:01 PM
There's a family friend who will do it for me :)