PDA

View Full Version : Brokewn bleed nipple

marc69
10-05-16, 09:11 PM
I noticed just after the mot that the front flexi had a small crack so tonight I tried to put on a new one, after struggling with the rounded and seized brake pipe bolt I finally got it on.

However when going to bleed the brakes the bleed nipple on the caliper has been broken flush. I tried to drill it out, broke a few bits and one drill died! Is there any reasonable way to remove a broken bleed nipple or is it a new caliper now aswell?

Thanks

meritlover
10-05-16, 09:58 PM
Easiest and most practical way is a replacement or exchange caliper im afraid.

You will never get it out with an easy out if its tight enough to shear. You will need heat, a good drill press or milling machine to drill it out square and colapse the old thread.
Failing that, you will have to drill it square and re-tap using a nipple with a thread a size larger. Its really no fun at the best of times and even less so without the right tools.

Replacement calipers can't be too expensive and you can hand the old one back as an exchange core.

Hope this helps.

When you get the new caliper, remove the nipple and apply copper grease on the threads and work in and out well to spread. This will help prevent the new one seizing in future.

marc69
10-05-16, 10:03 PM
I just used a torx bit, tapped it in and used a ratchet....hey presto turned instantly. I then let it bleed via gravity, put in an unser rear cylinder bleed nipple and I have good brakes. I should say that I assume the previous owner (before 2003) broke it, looked like it had been hammered or something. I guess I was lucky it came out.

Thanks for the advice though, always appreciated.

L14MNP
10-05-16, 11:22 PM
Seems like you have broken your keyboard, too. lol

marc69
10-05-16, 11:46 PM
Actually the keyboard on this laptop has been rubbish for over a year, the cursor jumps all over the place so, well spotted lol.

L14MNP
11-05-16, 12:52 AM
:lol: Glad you got sorted, mate.

meritlover
11-05-16, 08:24 PM
very fortunate.

good work.