PDA

View Full Version : What diff to get???

Plug
12-04-16, 07:58 AM
Right I'm going to be looking at buying a diff for my F28.

im just wandering what to get? I've looked at the quafie, and 3j but if anyone has any reccomendations?

3j says it's for f17,f18,f20 but I'm sure the f20 is the same diff as the f28?

also what do people do about the speedo if you fit a 3j diff?

any information and help will be appreciated

Joe

8valve-craig
12-04-16, 10:06 AM
It all depends what you want from it. A no compromise track car fit a Gripper / Tran-X / 3J. Or a road with occasional fast use fit a Quaife ATB.

I have had 3 of the above and would never fit an ATB to a track car again.

Plug
12-04-16, 10:19 AM
It's a track car, so want something focused towards that.

do the tran-x or grippers have a spot for the speedo ring as I see the 3j doesn't

_Tomiboy
12-04-16, 11:11 AM
TranX fits in to the F20 housing, to the F28 too. Gripper fits not in the F20 housing, you must mill out some material, to the F28 dont know, have not tried.
With some actions on the turning machine you can put the speedo ring to the TranX, but for the Gripper is is not possible. You can use the ABS ring for signs, and use electronic speedo, that works fine.
TranX has 9 plates is a little asimmetric inside, Gripper has 12 plates, and simmetric inside. Gripper has higher price, and higher qualitiy, more durable.

Plug
12-04-16, 01:06 PM
So from worst to best its, quafie trans-x, 3j then gripper?

havent got abs on the vehicle so unsure of how I'll get a speedo sorted Mind, will probably go for the gripper or 3j

Stuart
12-04-16, 02:17 PM
plate or ATB is a long standing "discussion" much like big vs small block... although not as hard fought.

imho I loathe ATB difs (quaife), but some like the way they work.
Plate ftw, even on a road car.

_Tomiboy
12-04-16, 02:19 PM
For me TranX and 3j is similar, but from the service and maintenance TranX is in the UK. Quaife ATB is good, but not for competition, it is for street. Gripper is the real race choice, like Sadev or Drexler.

8valve-craig
12-04-16, 04:17 PM
Keep in mind that choosing a plate diff isn't an exact science, getting it set up properly is the more important bit. I use Gripper (Dave Mac Props) in Coventry. The diff is very good, the service is even better.

A rebuild, inspection, alteration never costs more than £120 with carriage.

Also you don't have to have ABS, just have an ABS toothed ring somewhere that rotates.

Plug
12-04-16, 06:45 PM
Cheers people think I might have to save for a gripper then, I see all the setup ramp angles and tbh it puzzles me but I'm sure if I tell them what the car is for they can set it up before they send it out,

as for an abs ring couldn't I use a big block outer cv with the abs ring on it ?

8valve-craig
12-04-16, 09:38 PM
Yes, just so long as you know you can hold a sensor nearby. To be fair if it's a track car there isnt any need for a speedo anyway, seems like a waste of time.

When you order the diff it's best to tell them it's a circuit race car, otherwise they will reign it in a little bit. Mine is pretty savage, to a point you would think it's broken, until you start moving in a straight line.

http://youtu.be/Be4JVmF4Gos

Iain
13-04-16, 09:09 AM
It's the regular service/maintenance aspect that puts me off plated, I really couldn't be bothered removing the diff every so many thousand miles.

Stuart
13-04-16, 09:50 AM
It's the regular service/maintenance aspect that puts me off plated, I really couldn't be bothered removing the diff every so many thousand miles.

Rally cars etc have them rebuilt every season (usually), and they tend not to need much... I'd happily wager a road car and even well used trackday car wouldnt need a service for a long long time (5years at a guess)

Mxcrazy
13-04-16, 10:08 AM
Yes, just so long as you know you can hold a sensor nearby. To be fair if it's a track car there isnt any need for a speedo anyway, seems like a waste of time.

When you order the diff it's best to tell them it's a circuit race car, otherwise they will reign it in a little bit. Mine is pretty savage, to a point you would think it's broken, until you start moving in a straight line.

http://youtu.be/Be4JVmF4Gos

Nice work. Liking that.

Mxcrazy
13-04-16, 10:21 AM
6 of 1, half a dozen of another with plate vs ATB. I cant really comment because ive not driven with both in anger, but I am going ATB as mine is going to be a road car with occasional track use, plus I have everything Quaife do for a Nova already anyway.

You only have to google plate vs ATB to see peoples 'diff'ering opinions. Pro's and Cons. The plate diff is common place and has been for a long while but there have been some high profile cases of the ATB being copied and used because of its forgiving nature and the way it lays the power down, especially in front wheel drive cars.

Most people harp on about 'if you lift a wheel it works like on open diff'. This is true, if you are curb clipping then there is nothing you can do about it other than left foot brake, 5x the braking force is transfered to the driving wheel in that instance. If you are lifting a wheel in regular conditions, you need a different set up regardless, a plate diff will just mask that.