PDA

View Full Version : Using c02 for mig welding.

torquey
09-04-16, 10:05 PM
Got a 150 amp mig welder to sort my car out. It's come with a disposible bottle of c02. I've tried it out but seems to splatter a lot guessing it's due to the c02? I've tried playing with the settings. If it's on two it's blows holes through. Is argon only meant for aluminium? :thumb:

EwanG
09-04-16, 10:35 PM
Only Use an argon/co2 mix for a proper weld! Co2 is shite for mig it's a cheapskate way of welding. It will give spatter as you say also poor penetration . Co2 cools the weld making poor welds. You need an argon co2 mix and the small hobby bottles are bollocks! I will suggest this but might break your pocket but when you weigh it up it's sensible! Google sgs gas and search your nearest supplier. I have 2 local suppliers one said £130 deposit for a 20litre bottle the other said £90 for deposit and both said £70 for the gas. It's a rent free bottle so keep it as long as you want. I have just fabricated a 16 metre railing with a 20 litre bottle and used only a quarter of gas. These bottles last a long time compared to the stupid hobby ones! Set your gas at 10 litres per minute on your gauge and you will see. If you purchase a sgs gas bottle get on the mig welding forum for the £20 cashback deal as I did! So my initial payment was £160 but £20 back so £140 and I still have £90 deposit I can get back! (I won't do that as I will always need gas)

EwanG
09-04-16, 10:41 PM
I am a fabricator welder by trade so I know my shit! But Andy might correct melol

torquey
09-04-16, 10:43 PM
Thought so cheers for the advice will Google it and see. Like you say they are never going to last as long and have a fair bit of welding to sort.

EwanG
09-04-16, 10:48 PM
Here's the link to sgs gases and you should find a distributor near you http://www.sgsgases.co.uk/

torquey
09-04-16, 10:50 PM
Cheers .

EwanG
09-04-16, 10:52 PM
Also here's the other offer you can have if you want a rented bottle though the mig welding forum http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-shielding-gas-offers.40809/

EwanG
09-04-16, 10:56 PM
I hope me posting this doesn't upset the mods? I'm only want help others with welding. As welding nova's is a big part of keeping them on the road.

EwanG
09-04-16, 11:11 PM
Pure argon is for various tig welding.

Andy
10-04-16, 08:10 AM
I am a fabricator welder by trade so I know my shit! But Andy might correct melol

Why would i???
Its what i do for a living so id strongly agree with what you say.

Andy
10-04-16, 08:12 AM
Pure argon is for various tig welding.

Migging ally too.

torquey
24-04-16, 08:47 AM
Got a pub co2 bottle had it converted to run my mig. Got it filled with co2/argon mix. Used it yesterday got 4 patches done and it's drained it all ready, surely this ain't right? The patches were only small and didn't have it turned up to the max!

EwanG
24-04-16, 09:13 AM
What pressure was it filled to? Has it been leaking?

Andy
24-04-16, 09:54 AM
Which way are you turning the regulator flow tap?

torquey
24-04-16, 09:59 AM
Not that I know of. Turned it the way it's says on the reg.

Andy
24-04-16, 10:16 AM
Many people make the mistake of turning it the wrong way.

EwanG
24-04-16, 10:26 AM
Clockwise for more pressure anti clockwise for less pressure. If it was set high you would of heard the gas gushing out. It's wise to check for leaks on all the connections with soapy water applied using a paintbrush.

torquey
24-04-16, 11:02 AM
Yeh defo turned the right way. All connections tight and checked. Was welding away and noticed one the last patch wasn't getting any penertrating! Guages read 0!

Mike
24-04-16, 03:17 PM
If your doing welding often the go for a big bottle. If your literally just repairing your shell hobby ones will do.

I dont know what your guys on here do with your hobby bottles but they last me ages! However, when in storage/not using i remove regulator completely.

torquey
24-04-16, 05:13 PM
Don't know how they last you ages! There a complete waste of time. Didn't even get started before it ran out. Big bottle work out a lot cheaper.

paul james
24-04-16, 07:45 PM
The hobby bottles last me ages too, takes me by surprise as I heard from others that they barely do anything. I don't even bother taking the reg off it or anything. I hadn't used my welder in months after putting new sills on a mx5, but did again this week and the little bottle still had gas in it.

Royston
24-04-16, 08:34 PM
Although it's been covered........use argon/CO2 mix and there are more experience welders already advised.........

CO2 was/is used in the Jap auto industry, to manufacture subframes/components it produces deeper penetration than Argon/CO2 mix, but it is more unstable, and always looks like shite........... take the advice above;)

It use to scare me looking at Japanese manufactured components......:eek:

Mike
26-04-16, 08:44 PM
Don't know how they last you ages! There a complete waste of time. Didn't even get started before it ran out. Big bottle work out a lot cheaper.

You lot must use the teeny tiny dinky ones then not the bigger super duper higher psi ones!

Edit: 110 ltr capacity @ 165bar. 3 bottles for £36. So thats 330 cubic ltrs for 36 quid....

dan23
27-04-16, 05:49 PM
You can still weld ok with co 2
if your welding thin metal you need to turn the settings down . Min 1 will weld it with out blowing holes using either co2 or argon
practise first on some plate the same thickness as what you want to weld don't try to do long welds either as the heat will build up an it will burn through
If you can put some alu sheet behind the steel you are welding it will help as the alloy absorbs the heat
co 2 / argon mix does give a neater cleaner weld but I would say its 90% welding ability an 10 % gas

You have Clarke welder try min 1 ( possibly min 2 but I doubt the nova body panels will take it )
an wire speed between 6 an 7

torquey
27-04-16, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the help everyone think I have a leak somewhere so need some more gas. Leak first though