PDA

View Full Version : Smallblock Clutch Advice

jeremy fisher
08-04-16, 12:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm running a 16XE with a few mods and use the car for track days and a bit of road fun. It has the 8v flywheel so uses a GTE/GSI clutch. I had used a standard clutch for a few years without problems but I now do more track days and last year the friction plate gave up. There was still loads of meat left on it but it had broken around one of the springs. I replaced it with another oem style clutch and it hasn't lasted long and the same thing has happened. I ordered an OMP paddle friction plate of eBay to use with the standard type pressure plate but they had advertised it wrong and it doesn't fit. I've not had problems with slipping, I think they just can't take the aggressive driving.
So can anybody suggest a suitable alternative? I've found Helix friction plates in both sprung and unsprung form. I don't see unsprung being a problem due to the way it is driven but can anybody speak from experience on how they differ? I've not driven with an unsprung clutch before... I guess its just a bit more juddery off the mark?? I'd rather not spend hundreds if it can be avoided but I want to get one that lasts. Also what are peoples opinions on using the standard pressure plate with an upgraded friction plate?
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks

Nick