PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on car?

ShawnAzzopardi
06-04-16, 01:31 PM
So I've been thinking about another runner since the Nova has seen better days, and I think her time has come to rest eternally.

Been thinking about getting a Renault Clio with a 1.5TD. Thoughts?

May be a bit of a taboo subject since this is a Nova forum, but I know there's quite a few knowledgeable people on here who may want to weigh in.

totalnova
06-04-16, 06:23 PM
You want to replace a car that keeps breaking down with a piece of shit French car?
Get an old 3 series or c class coupe imo

ShawnAzzopardi
06-04-16, 06:45 PM
You want to replace a car that keeps breaking down with a piece of shit French car?
Get an old 3 series or c class coupe imo
You wouldn't be able to find one in decent nick over here, and if you did, it would be way out of my budget. Just keeping my options open.

Something diesel, preferably turbo'd, which wheels are driven doesn't matter, must be manual, preferably from Japan, but open to anything. Around 3K budget.

mk1nova_rich
06-04-16, 07:41 PM
It might be helpful to the list the sorts of cars in plentiful supply on Malta :)

ShawnAzzopardi
07-04-16, 04:09 AM
Fiat Punto mk1/mk2/Uno/Bravo/Brava, Toyota Yaris/Starlet/Hilux, Kia Avella, Hyundai Accent, Lada, Isuzu Gemini, Opel Corsa A/Corsa B/Corsa C, Renault Clio (I mentioned this one because the one I'm going to see belongs to my mother's partner and it's a UK import and he'd sell it to me for 1700 cheaper than they are for sale over here) Mini Cooper (though they are getting a bit pricey), Peugeot 106/206/306/205/etc, Mazda (mostly 323, 121, and anything else along those lines), and I don't know what else, racking my brains thinking about what cars I see on a daily basis.

Subtle modder
07-04-16, 10:04 AM
2000 onwards Clio 2 is a really good daily, the 1.5 DCi is a good unit with its only downfall being killing turbos if its not serviced well though that's said for most modern diesels, also kill injectors but buy well and you should be alright, the Clio 2 platform is brilliant with great handling, reasonable build quality and most of it can be upgraded to RS spec, choose your 1.5 wisely dependant on what you want from it, Dci100 is for go and reasonable economy but the lower models like 60/75's etc are your economy hunters, 70mpg achievable driven right

Wayne

Plug
07-04-16, 10:39 AM
Buy a lada ;) haha

Andy
07-04-16, 11:52 AM
Yaris 1.0 petrol.

ShawnAzzopardi
07-04-16, 12:43 PM
2000 onwards Clio 2 is a really good daily, the 1.5 DCi is a good unit with its only downfall being killing turbos if its not serviced well though that's said for most modern diesels, also kill injectors but buy well and you should be alright, the Clio 2 platform is brilliant with great handling, reasonable build quality and most of it can be upgraded to RS spec, choose your 1.5 wisely dependant on what you want from it, Dci100 is for go and reasonable economy but the lower models like 60/75's etc are your economy hunters, 70mpg achievable driven right

Wayne
The Clio I'm gonna go see is a post 2K model, don't know which year exactly and was told they're really good if taken care of like you said, and I always try and make sure that my car is well serviced. But thanks mate, I'll keep what you said in mind, much appreciated

ShawnAzzopardi
07-04-16, 12:43 PM
Buy a lada ;) haha
There's one on YT with an SR20 swap that's pretty mad.

ShawnAzzopardi
07-04-16, 12:44 PM
Yaris 1.0 petrol.
I mean, yeah, it's economical, but I'd go more for an RS model