PDA

View Full Version : Heat

broony
24-09-03, 10:56 AM
Just a quick question.

If ive been driving for a while, the temperature guage hardly moves and not a lot of heat comes from the heaters.
If i just sit with the engine running for a while then the guage eventually goes up a bit and more heat comes from the heaters.

Any ideas as to why it doesnt heat up normally? Is it the thermostat or an air lock maybe?

bad_boy_nova
24-09-03, 11:21 AM
Sounds to me like your thermostat is stuck open

They are only cheap to buy and easy to change

ade
24-09-03, 11:22 AM
could be an air lock or maybe you have a cool running thermostat.

If the temp gauge shot up I'd be concerned but it maybe faulty - might be worth changing it to be safe.

Depending on where you live the change in the weather may also affect it. mine usually site at half but now its alot colder (I'm in Scotland) it just gets over the 1/4 mark!

broony
24-09-03, 11:39 AM
Think it might be the thermostat coz only started doing this when i changed the bottom end on the car(blew a conrod through the block!).

I'll try get that changed today. Btw, where exactly is the thermostat??

bad_boy_nova
24-09-03, 11:54 AM
If you stand at the front of your car and look down at the engine, the thermostat is on the left hand side of the cylinder head, you will have to remove the cam belt cover to get to it and it is inside the thermostat housing that is held in by 2 13mm bolts.

peester
24-09-03, 11:50 PM
i wouldn't complain mate- the cooler youre car is the better isn't it? wish mine was more like yours.
my gsi shoots to the half after just 5 mins of stopping and starting (morning or eve traffic) then fans are on 99% of the time if standstill. Seems to run too hot. I think thats more annoying.

brian
24-09-03, 11:58 PM
Nothing more annoyin than a cold car coming into the winter!!

broony
25-09-03, 11:04 AM
Exactly, ill be freeeezing if i dinnae get it sorted!