PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make new splash guards?

torquey
23-03-16, 04:44 PM
My sr is in a bad way all four inner wings are shot. The passanger front splash guard is shot. What's the easiest way to make a new one. Any pics would be great. Car has be neglected to be honest had a lot of things to sort. After having a poke around today it's pretty bad. The rear inners behind the shocks have rotten out aswell. Around the front suspension turrets have gone. Iam gonna get a mig welder and chop it all out. Iam new to welding but want to Learn. How hard would these repairs be? :cry:

totalnova
23-03-16, 05:18 PM
My advice would be watch some welding vids on youtube, practice a lot before you start on the car and when you do start welding the car start on the smaller patches first and work your way up to the bigger harder jobs.
Nick

torquey
23-03-16, 06:16 PM
Yeh will give them a watch. Gonna practice on some old panels 1st before I weld the car lol. Cheers

paul james
23-03-16, 06:18 PM
Sounds similar to what I had to do on mine, and I had never welded before. How hard it will be depends on how far the rot has spread, so it might just need a bit of careful patching or whole news sections fabricated or bought. If theres rust behind the rear shocks, chances are the spring seats there will need attention too. If you could upload some pics of the rusty areas that would be good.

torquey
23-03-16, 07:00 PM
Yeh think the seats will need a bit of attention too. Will get some pics up soon. That's if photobucket works lol.

torquey
23-03-16, 07:52 PM
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/ashleyc17/Mobile%20Uploads/20160214_113214_zpssqxim4uh.jpg (http://s726.photobucket.com/user/ashleyc17/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160214_113214_zpssqxim4uh.jpg.html)

torquey
23-03-16, 07:52 PM
Chased it a lot further up after that quick pic.

nova_pipi
23-03-16, 07:54 PM
The easiest way I found was to get a sheet of steel, I used 20 gauge I think and cut a rough cardboard shape out then cut this shape into the steel using tin cutters and then bent the sheet in various places until I was happy to begin welding, I've learnt to weld on my Nova and I think you just get better with more practice, if you are blowing holes in the steel then just turn the welder down and should hopefully be okay, the steel starting to rot will blow through quite easy if you miss any from cutting the rust out.
Hope this helps

torquey
23-03-16, 08:06 PM
Cheers for the advice will give it ago. Got to get a welder yet.

totalnova
23-03-16, 10:29 PM
Just get a second hand one off eBay to start with. Get a gas one and get a decent size bottle as well

marc69
23-03-16, 11:23 PM
Be aware that when you start welding, the patch will grow until it finds strong metal so I find it wise to cut an inch or so past where the rust stops to make good strength.

josh-sri
24-03-16, 08:42 AM
Just to add to these replies, make sure all the surfaces are clean and if needed try burning out old seam sealer from seams beforehand. Makes the job so much easier when you spent the time preparing it, get yourself a decent mask aswell, it can be a pain in the arse welding some sections in so anything that's going to make it easier is a no brainer in my eyes:thumb:

torquey
24-03-16, 08:46 AM
Thanks all for the input going to be bare metaling all the inner arches and check alls fine.